venue

This may be a stupid question, and admins please feel free to delete

But I've been to a few London events but always at earls court, is Olympia close by? Is it a bigger venue? I'm just trying to book parking

Cheers

Edited by candymit

Olympia is pretty close, maybe 15 minutes walk from Earls Court. It's a similar system with the halls. So it's really hard to tell which is the bigger venue.

If yu're trying to book parking at Earls Court you'll definitely be some distance away.

• Like 1

Anyone know if there's any air-con in Olympia, and how effective it will be in the packed halls mid-July?
I heard all the stories about Excel during LFCC2014, and just wondering if there was expected to be much difference in the new venue.

(I'm pretty sensitive to heat!!)

• Like 1

I was only once inside of Olympia when the Doctor Who Experience was there, it wasn´t small but I think it´s not so much bigger than Earl´s Court.
But yes I hope it´s cooler inside, but well last year was one of the hottest days in London during the LFFC in 2014, and with lots of people even the best aircon has troubles

There comes a point where every ac will go down.

Not true, QS. I work in the air conditioning industry and have done for 21 years. There is no valid reason why a fit-for-purpose, correctly sized, well maintained a/c system should have to be taken offline during a major event like LFCC. My question was really to see, given that this venue had been chosen over last LFCC's Excel, if careful consideration had been given to ther comfort of the attendees or if it was again being left to chance with no plan B available.

The ac wasn't taken offline. I don't know why that keeps coming up. SM had answered that when those claims came up last year.

SM would never turn an AC off. Never mind that they would never make attendees uncomfortable on purpose - they're in the venue themselves and suffer from the temperatures as much as everyone else.

So far at each and every event I've been to - no matter if LFACC or hotel, in the UK or another country - the AC died sooner or later. I guess there's a lot of venue owners not maintaining their AC well then. ;)

Not true, QS. I work in the air conditioning industry and have done for 21 years. There is no valid reason why a fit-for-purpose, correctly sized, well maintained a/c system should have to be taken offline during a major event like LFCC. My question was really to see, given that this venue had been chosen over last LFCC's Excel, if careful consideration had been given to ther comfort of the attendees or if it was again being left to chance with no plan B available.
Last year was at at Earl's Court not Excel. Earl's Court is being knocked down in London to make way for housing, Henderson the change of venue.

London has an AC problem, 2 years ago I was at the Doctor Who Proms at the Royal Albert Hall, it was a hot day like at the LFCC 2014, and it was horrible hot in there, I normally don´t sweat a lot, but those two years, it was hard. But last year it was just overcrowed, I think the heat wasn´t really the problem, but there were too many people inside together, and the problem was more like there wasn´t kinda enough oxygen, ok sounds stupid, but hey I´m slightly drunk already :P

• Like 1

Last year was at at Earl's Court not Excel. Earl's Court is being knocked down in London to make way for housing, Henderson the change of venue.

My interpretation was that seeing Earls Court was out rotor would have rather chosen Excel over Olympia. But maybe I am reading this wrong. And at Sherlocked Excel didn't really seem that much better to me either. :lol:

My apologies for the e-mail going unanswered, the incoming mail servers still have some problems on occasion due to the amount of incoming mail, especially if you use certain mail providers.

As always, I do have an open e-mail address in my profile. If you do not get a response from the main office address please feel free to contact me and I will see what I can do.

I do not see any deleted posts of you. There may have been a topic hidden which I can't see - unfortunately sometimes relatively normal questions get jumped on by people who keep on making claims that are simply not true - like repeating that story SM turning the ac off on purpose. I don't know if that happened (I actually can't remember this question coming up before), but that is the most likely theory. When the fighting gets too bad sometimes it's necessary to hide a topic.

Perhaps you could answer me a question which I do think is pertinent. Is a/c actually affected in an environment where doors/windows are constantly being opened and closed? I've heard varying accounts that it's like the inside of a fridge, only maintains core temperature if the environment is kept sealed. So, take LFCC for example, with the front and side doors constantly being opened with people coming in and out would hamper the effect A/C should have.

Perhaps you could answer me a question which I do think is pertinent. Is a/c actually affected in an environment where doors/windows are constantly being opened and closed? I've heard varying accounts that it's like the inside of a fridge, only maintains core temperature if the environment is kept sealed. So, take LFCC for example, with the front and side doors constantly being opened with people coming in and out would hamper the effect A/C should have.

A one-word answer to your question: Yes.

The bank of air handling units serving the building will have been sized based on so-many air changes per hour for the volume (cubic capacity) of the venue.

However, as it's not a sealed room being served, there would have been an increase in the overall capacity of the complete air conditioning system to compensate for the opening doors/windows.

The best venues dramatically oversize the system (e.g. maybe by 2-3 times), in order to always cope with demand.

Air con can work in varying stages - it's not always on @ 100% and off @ 0%. It can scale up or scale down based on demand.

The 'real' best venues have standby equipment in critical areas on-hand, incase of key equipment failures (i.e. the water chillers/cooling towers serving the cooling coils in the air handling units), that can be switched over manually should a key component fail.

Well me personally i prefer olympia over excel. Better natural light, upstairs level a place to rest and get out of the crowd, much easier venue to get to. So for me it ticks all the boxes

I don't think Excel is an option as it it used by another company that we do not mention here.

Well me personally i prefer olympia over excel. Better natural light, upstairs level a place to rest and get out of the crowd, much easier venue to get to. So for me it ticks all the boxes

I don't think Excel is an option as it it used by another company that we do not mention here.

Lord Voldemort?
  • Like 1

And while I like the new alias this is one of the reasons why topics get closed... we can't discuss other events or what they do. ;) So please don't go there further. I was personally trying to avoid this answer and I am pretty sure others did too.

rotor, seeing you seem to have experience if there's a problem this year maybe you can go to the Organisers Booth and offer help. I apologize if this sounds weird, but I am actually serious. You seem to know some settings that the renter of the venue may not get shown by the staff.

Hi can I ask about queung to get into the event on the day? I have the Robert Englund diamond pass for Sunday. My plan is to travel down by train the same day but if it will be a long time queing to get in I may well stay over on the Saturday night. My first visit but I read on Twitter people queued a very long time last year? What advice would you give to arriving?

Thanks

Paul

Edited by PaulWalker1972

Thanks. Yes I read it was due to Stan Lee. I'll certainly be staying in London Saturday night as the trains aren't great on a Sunday I've just checked them. So as I only have the day and want to ensure I miss nothing on the diamond pass I wondered what time people think you should arrive for?

Thanks,

Paul

Edited by PaulWalker1972

I know the full details are to follow at some stage from SM, but I know when Robert England did the same 'Freddy' makeup appearance at a US con last year, he did his normal photoshoots (out of makeup, as himself) early in the day, then went away to have the prosthetics applied (2 hours or so) then appeared as Freddy for the photoshoots and talk at about 3pm. I wouldn't be surprised if a similar format will apply at Lfcc, with the diamond pass stuff being p.m.