Giving gifts to guests

I'm sure a topic like this probably exists somewhere, but I'm on my phone and searching is awkward so feel free to lock this if needed.

What's the way to go about giving small gifts to the guests we meet? I'm aware that it may vary person to person but has anybody done this before? If so, what was the gift and how was it received?

I've not yet decided but I was thinking I may bring a drawing for a few of my guests. It's something small, and I'd put them into a plastic sleeve. My concern though is would that then be something they could hold onto and take with them? Is there some sort of guideline as to what's okay and what's not?

• Like 1

Some guests may be careful and not take home food items for obvious reasons. Anything awkward to transport may be an issue too. But pictures or drawings are definitely appreciated and not an issue at all. An unique item is always appreciated, especially if the guests have a connection to it.

Two examples from personal experience:

Peter Williams from Stargate is a Football fan and used to collect the Beanie Babies released for a World Cup ages ago. I brought him the German one to a show cause he had mentioned at another event he never found it. He was so happy, you could tell he really appreciated it. I met him again shortly after Germany hosted the World Cup. First thing he did was hugging me, then he took my hands and told me he had been thinking about me throughout the whole tournament.

Or Katee Sackhoff from Battlestar Galactica. At the last SM Event she appeared I wanted to get a picture signed I took when she appeared with James Callis in Manchester Ages ago. Sala Baker had grabbed them for a pose when he noticed I had a camera and was trying to snap. In Manchester I had worn a custom Shirt that Katee went nuts about. "Good Girls go to heaven, bad Girls get to play with the Boys from Stargate Atlantis." She had given me her agent's address when I told her it was custom made and I'd send her one. She was so cute about it. I got a half page dedication on my photo until she realized: "Oh my god, that is for you, right?" :D I did send her that shirt and included a copy of that picture because I thought she'd like it and thanked her for playing along.

Anyway, so more than 5 years later I am at her table, handing over the picture, and she goes: "Oh, I got that picture on the wall in my living room. - At that comment I already was pretty close to fainting. - How did you get a copy?" She looks up, instantly recognizes me and says: "That would be because you took it. How have you been!" How I managed not to start squealing I don't know. :lol:

• Like 9

The only time I've ever given a guest a gift was in 2012 when I met Buzz Aldrin at Autographica. It was a pair of pewter cufflinks with a Scottish theme and he seemed pleased with the gesture.

I'm sure any guest would appreciate the fact that you took the time to draw something for them.

The only time I've done it was at Sherlocked when I gave some of the guests micro crocheted dragons I had made. Not connected to any of them but I like making them. Not sure how they went down really, most of them said thank you but not much more. I'd bought little containers for them so they wouldn't get squashed and attached an old style luggage label on which I had written them all a note.

These are some of them.

DSCF1491.jpgDSCF1495.jpgDSCF1492.jpg

This is the original one I did next to a 5p piece for size comparison. The ones above are about 2/3rds the size of this one

DSCF1231.jpg

• Like 3

i read online somewhere that branded food items bought from shops are a best bet.

Homemade food is likely to be destroyed (presumably for security reasons) and any other items are likely to be stored, never to be seen again for a long time.

I only gave food items to a couple of guests.

One was Dave Prowse at Collectormania 2 in 2002. I gave him a pack of Tunes as a reference to the 1996 advert. He joked about how they would "help with his singing".

The other was Richard LeParmentier at 2 seperate local events. On both occasions, I gave him a pack of Tunes and he thought I wanted him to sign them.

OH MY GOD I WANT ONE !!!! lol

:whistling:

That could be arranged if you do. I don't work to a schedule, and I'm not very quick at them but tell me a colour you like and I can certainly make one, then either arrange to post it to you or hand it over at LFCC if possible.

That's actually prompted me, maybe I could make on for Mads :smile:

I gave a gift to Carrie Fisher at her last appearance in October 2014, it was her birthday a few days after the show so I thought why not haha. I have her a mug with a pop art french bulldog on,as well as some homemade "keep calm and...." posters featuring her Dog Gary. She loved them so much! First reaction was to say "you are a God!" And then proceeded to give me a big hug and a kiss on the cheek, then stood up and yelled to everyone in the queue, "ITS GARY ON A MUG GUYS!!" After I explained that I had other things but had left them at home she gave me her address and email, I sent them out the day after the show,received an autograph and hand written letter back and we've been writing to each other ever since! Guests really do appreciate anything you give them,shows you're genuinely interested in meeting them and are probably not just a dealer trying to make a few quid out of them.

• Like 4

I gave a gift to Carrie Fisher at her last appearance in October 2014, it was her birthday a few days after the show so I thought why not haha. I have her a mug with a pop art french bulldog on,as well as some homemade "keep calm and...." posters featuring her Dog Gary. She loved them so much! First reaction was to say "you are a God!" And then proceeded to give me a big hug and a kiss on the cheek, then stood up and yelled to everyone in the queue, "ITS GARY ON A MUG GUYS!!" After I explained that I had other things but had left them at home she gave me her address and email, I sent them out the day after the show,received an autograph and hand written letter back and we've been writing to each other ever since! Guests really do appreciate anything you give them,shows you're genuinely interested in meeting them and are probably not just a dealer trying to make a few quid out of them.

I had a similar experience with Carrie! I met her in the Summer of 2014 and made a "Keep calm and love Gary" photo that I proceeded to get framed and gave to her at LFCC! She stood up from the table and went "Right stop everything guys!" she then leaned over and gave me a kiss and then pointed to her cheek and said "Now it's your turn" so I kissed her back! Then she remembered me in my photo op and said "Oh I just loved your present!" and then took me by the hand and pulled me in close!

​So cool that you got her e-mail though! I would love to reconnect with Carrie again! We got on SOOO well! :)

• Like 1

I've printed it off so might give it a go at some point but it might have to be naked.

Whatever makes you comfortable.

:blush: Oh gosh, I didn't mean it that way :smile: - I knew what I meant in my head! I meant that the Clanger might have to be naked as I might not be able to shrink his 'armour' for a micro crochet! :smile:

I feel you on that one, I came so close to giving the same present to Costas Mandylor. To hell with social norms. I mean, he called me 'baby' at least six times-- you could say we're pretty serious.

I think you're pretty much in there.

Alexandra managed to fit the 2 criteria I'm looking for in a partner:

1) She's a female

2) She acknowledged me (twice :cool: )

• Like 3