MC at the talks

Is it just me or was anyone else really unimpressed with the MC? I went to Edge and Christians talks and Kevin Smiths. Here are my main points:

1) He called Edge 'The Edge' which was super cringe and awkward. At least E&C could make light of it

2) He called KS' podcast "Batman on Fatman" which again is incorrect and made it very cringe worthy.

3) Both times, he gave no warning to the guests for last questions and cut them off without warning. Luckily for KS, he just carried on anyway and knew how to close down the show, but for E&C the show just ended and that was it. 

I've seen this complaints from previous years, and it would be nice if the MC was just a bit more educated about what was about to go on the stage.

There's a few of them I believe so you may need to specify. I really liked Darren, who MC'd for some, and just organised the fan question process in others. I thought he really knew what he was doing. But I have seen other problems with other MCs before

Edited by tenaciouspirit

Yeah " the edge " was ridiculous, I happened to be sitting in for that talk taking a rest and eating lunch. 

He wasn't very impressive for the BTTF talk either.

David Bickerstaff is better, he did the chris Lloyd talk, whitish short hair, David Bradley agent. Much more enthusiasm. He did the BTTF talks in 2015 and I liked him. 

• Moderators

I saw various people over the weekend and actually thought they all did a great job of holding conversation, not letting it get too awkward etc.

Mistakes happen especially when you're up on stage in front of that many people and working with some of the names we had there, but on the whole I thought it was a solid effort from everyone involved.

8 minutes ago, DavidB said:

I saw various people over the weekend and actually thought they all did a great job of holding conversation, not letting it get too awkward etc.

Mistakes happen especially when you're up on stage in front of that many people and working with some of the names we had there, but on the whole I thought it was a solid effort from everyone involved.

That's a fair point. As I said I only sat in on 2, and there were, in my opinion, glaring errors. I don't want to poo-poo every MC as I believe there are ones there. When I've been to wrestling talks in the past, the MCs generally aren't too clued up, but again, I don't want to throw everyone under the bus. 

1) Yeah I got it wrong sorry for making a mistake- I think edge managed to make me look small enough though!

2) if I did then it was totally a old age brain moment - I know what it's called!

3) I wasn't there at the end of the Kevin talk, that was someone else and secondly I hadn't realised the time with the wrestling talk but take that on board.

We all have a different approach to hosting which I think helps and just like you guys all know more about some subjects than others. I also try to get as many audience questions as possible.

BTW David didn't host the bttf talk in 2015 - that was someone from Universal! :-)

Cheers, Darren

• Like 4

4 hours ago, Persephone1 said:

I thought the guy who did the Alan Tudyk talk was fantastic - huge improvement over previous MCs.

They used the same at the Alyson and Alexis talk and he was great in both and even gave them a verbal reminder when time was short and when they had to wind the last few questions up. I can't find a complaint atall

7 hours ago, Baggieboi said:

Yeah " the edge " was ridiculous, I happened to be sitting in for that talk taking a rest and eating lunch. 

He wasn't very impressive for the BTTF talk either.

David Bickerstaff is better, he did the chris Lloyd talk, whitish short hair, David Bradley agent. Much more enthusiasm. He did the BTTF talks in 2015 and I liked him. 

I've been to several talks David's hosted at various LFCC and certainly for the first few I felt he was poor, swore a few times* and I recall coming out of one thinking he forgot all about the audience being there as didn't ask for questions from us till not much time left. The Christopher Lloyd talk was really good and felt he helped steer it well.

*Definitely getting better as only swore once in the CL talk ;)

13 hours ago, Diabolik said:

Who did BC's talk?

I got to say he was very good, opened up the questions to the floor early on and didn't chime in with any stupid questions of his own, as I've seen with some MC's in the past.

That was me - thank you.

• Like 2

19 hours ago, dazzlerjames said:

1) Yeah I got it wrong sorry for making a mistake- I think edge managed to make me look small enough though!

2) if I did then it was totally a old age brain moment - I know what it's called!

3) I wasn't there at the end of the Kevin talk, that was someone else and secondly I hadn't realised the time with the wrestling talk but take that on board.

We all have a different approach to hosting which I think helps and just like you guys all know more about some subjects than others. I also try to get as many audience questions as possible.

BTW David didn't host the bttf talk in 2015 - that was someone from Universal! :-)

Cheers, Darren

I thought you did a great job in the talks I was able to get to James. And I was so happy to see (and hear) the improved sound system this year!