John Cleese Appreciation Thread

not going to lie. i was almost dreading meeting John because i was worried that he might be one of those celebrities who is nice on tv but not so in person. I couldnt have been more wrong! WHAT A NICE MAN!!!!!!!!

he was SO polite, if a bit quiet at times, but he made an effort with every person i saw meeting him for autos and during the photos, even if they were rushing to get them done.

i was SUPER surprised to see he was personalising (although i saw him early in the day. things may have changed later on) so he wrote "to josh" above his squiggle and "N.H. Nick" below as he was signing my HP poster. 

walking to him for my photo, him shaking my hand and then saying "Finally, someone who is a decent height" will live in my head forever!!!!!!

i hope everyone else who had the pleasure of meeting him had a similar experience to me!

Edited by StuartG2198
  • Like 1

He was so friendly! I wasn't going to get his diamond pass originally as I didn't have anything I really wanted signing. I spotted a fantastic print for sale downstairs so picked it up and purchased a diamond pass. On seeing the print John said it was great, he hadn't seen it before and asked where id found it. I mentioned it was actually on sale downstairs and I could get him one if he wanted and give it to him at the photo shoot, he said that would be fantastic.

The gallery gave me another print for him and asked if maybe I could get a photo of him holding it. Whilst hurtled through the photo area he thanked me for getting him one and I mentioned the gallery would love to get a photo of him with it, he told his handler that he wanted to make sure it happened and she kindly got it done at the end of the photoshoots. A very friendly and appreciative man! 

unnamed-3.jpg?raw=1

Edited by markforrer
  • Like 7

I only got the photo with him but walked up, shook his hand and thanked him for coming out to meet us, he thanked me too and just as we were going to take the photo he asked where I was from...

I said "Egham in Surrey" and he absolutely roared with laughter...

No idea why it was funny but it was a nice meeting none the less and great to see him in such great spirits, great guy

1 hour ago, snot182 said:

I only got the photo with him but walked up, shook his hand and thanked him for coming out to meet us, he thanked me too and just as we were going to take the photo he asked where I was from...

I said "Egham in Surrey" and he absolutely roared with laughter...

No idea why it was funny but it was a nice meeting none the less and great to see him in such great spirits, great guy

Totally random but i'm from Egham too! (And John Cleese is great!)

Edited by tenaciouspirit

Exactly the same for me - was a bit trepedatious (sp?) but what a nice guy. Had a little chat about the lady from the Fawlty Towers episode "Communication Problems" (the grumpy old lady with the hearing aid) and he told me how lovely she was and how fond of her he was. My favourite bit though was queuing for autograph and after being about 10 people away from him, his staff member announces that he has to go for a break. Everyone awwwww'ed in disappointment (in a nice way) so he looked us all with a grin and said, "Well I am 78." Any genuine disappointment disappeared and he left everyone smiling/laughing. As it was he was only gone about 10 minutes.

Unfortunately meeting him was a disappointment for me. He didn't say a single word to me, not even a hello, yet he was having full conversations with everyone else. I wouldn't mind as I've had that with other guests before but since I paid for a Diamond pass, and a second autograph on the spot, it felt a bit rude.

The photoshoot was understandable as I was Diamond pass #218 and they started to have to rush towards my number, about two seconds each.

2 minutes ago, Gazza3478 said:

Unfortunately meeting him was a disappointment for me. He didn't say a single word to me, not even a hello, yet he was having full conversations with everyone else. I wouldn't mind as I've had that with other guests before but since I paid for a Diamond pass, and a second autograph on the spot, it felt a bit rude.

The photoshoot was understandable as I was Diamond pass #218 and they started to have to rush towards my number, about two seconds each.

The Diamond Pass only guarantees your autograph, photo and possible additional package items. I'll probably Sound more rude than I intend to, but the Diamond Pass does not guarantee you preferred Treatment.

I am sorry you had a bad experience. But the time or type of interaction with a guest really doesn't depend on your type of tickets.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Queen_Sindel said:

The Diamond Pass only guarantees your autograph, photo and possible additional package items. I'll probably Sound more rude than I intend to, but the Diamond Pass does not guarantee you preferred Treatment.

I am sorry you had a bad experience. But the time or type of interaction with a guest really doesn't depend on your type of tickets.

I wasn't expecting any preferred treatment, but it just seemed odd to not even get a hello at all considering. Any interaction at all would have been fine for me.

• Like 1

20 hours ago, josh-hammond said:

not going to lie. i was almost dreading meeting John because i was worried that he might be one of those celebrities who is nice on tv but not so in person. I couldnt have been more wrong! WHAT A NICE MAN!!!!!!!!

he was SO polite, if a bit quiet at times, but he made an effort with every person i saw meeting him for autos and during the photos, even if they were rushing to get them done.

i was SUPER surprised to see he was personalising (although i saw him early in the day. things may have changed later on) so he wrote "to josh" above his squiggle and "N.H. Nick" below as he was signing my HP poster. 

walking to him for my photo, him shaking my hand and then saying "Finally, someone who is a decent height" will live in my head forever!!!!!!

i hope everyone else who had the pleasure of meeting him had a similar experience to me!

I felt exactly the same, I had an idea Mr Cleese might not be so approachable in person - but how very wrong I was! What a genuinely nice man! I had to go around twice because the photographer unfortunately was a bit snap happy, and as I stepped up to him, Mr Cleese greeted me and said he liked my hair, I naturally turned my head to acknowledge what he had said and said thank you, the photographer took the shot and said it was fine and waved me on.

So sorry but I don't rate that photographer much, he needs his glasses changing, I got to the photo pick up area and I was half looking at Mr Cleese and not at the camera, so thankfully the lady who gave me the photo sent me around again. So I did get a nice picture in the end, and when I went around again, Mr Cleese did a double take and a funny jokey kind of startled face - all of which was just so Basil Fawlty, it was absolutely fantastic!

So maybe in a way if the photographer hadn't done that, I wouldn't have had that funny moment and that little bit more interaction - but as everyone says - he was a really nice man, so glad to have had the opportunity to meet him!

Only had the briefest of words with him after my photo shoot as I left  said "Thank you for all the laughs & smiles you have given me from all the great comedy you've done over the years" and had such a wonderfully warm & genuine reply smiling back "Thank you it's much appreciated it means so much to me you saying that "

Being my last photo shoot I left with a smile on my face and a warm glow that one of my heroes of comedy is such a really nice guy in real life

• Like 1

He was great in Photo and auto shoot... being a tall man and I'm 6'2", he commented "ah, decent height!" when he got to me in the queue..one of my weekend highlights...someone I never dreamed of meeting, so very happy...

• Like 1