Photos or Autographs

Baggieboi

Hello all,

hope everyone is looking forward to LFCC.. I've been thinking Iv been coming to Lfcc for only a few years since 2015, 

i was always pictures pictures pictures and not to interested in the autographs

but 2 years later I have completely changed my opinion I'm not much more interested in the autographs,

whoch do you prefer and which one one is better value for money and better experience do you think? 

This subject has been discussed a few times Baggie and the consensus is split.   There's no way to quantify which one is better value I'm afraid as it's all in the eye of the attendee.  Some value the pictures more as it's more personal, some the auto's (not for financial value per se).  Experience is also a tricky thing.  The bigger busier guests are going to have limited interaction in the auto queue because there simply isn't time, but often if the guest is a bit quieter you may get a chance for a short chat with them which you won't get in the photo shoot.

I love to balance both. I get photoshoots with bigger and more important guests for me and try to get their autographs also. From the smaller guests (less busier ones) I try to get an autograph only and then ask for a selfie/picture at the table if there is not a long queue behind be. 

I really like both ways of interating with guests, I can't really choose which one I prefer more.

• Like 1

I mainly go for autos myself and try to get a photo with them.

I only go for photoshoots if I was unable to get a photo of me with the guest, if the guest is a Diamond Pass, or if certain props or garments are involved (whether from myself and/or the organisers).

With each guest I see I always try to get an item that I can have multi signed and so not that actor specific.  In 2015 I had a replica Back to the Future plutonium case that has been signed by the 11 actors plus others and this year I will be having Thomas F Wilson sign a sticker that I will attach to the case.  Donald Fullilove (Mayor Goldie Wilson) said that never in 30 years had he signed anything like it so its probably the only one in the world. At Destination Star Trek last year Wil Wheaton signed a 1985 Next Generation transporter unit and he said that he had not seen one of these in years.  I had a 1975 Mego Enterprise flight deck and I showed him some pictures on my phone and he said he would like to see it so I went and brought it over and he said he had never seen one before.  I told him that I got the idea from the Big Bang Theory when Penny bought Sheldon and Leonard the mint in box transporter unit.  My item was the larger version.  After the event I was watching the new series of the  Big Bang Theory and on the table in the flat was this case.  Coincidence.  I am bringing the flight deck with me this year to get signed by Tom Morga.  I  have booked the photo shoot with Wil and the BBT set so will use the flight deck as a prop in the photo.  This year I have got diamond passes for Thomas F Wilson and Benedict Cumberbatch so will have photos with them.  For Benedict I have chosen a very unusual item for him to sign and I know that it will be totally unique. I will probably have to explain why I chose this item but the connection is clear.  If you have the guests sign something different then you get a good reaction as they must get a bit tired of signing the same items all the time.

1 hour ago, Raylenth said:

This subject has been discussed a few times Baggie and the consensus is split.   There's no way to quantify which one is better value I'm afraid as it's all in the eye of the attendee.  Some value the pictures more as it's more personal, some the auto's (not for financial value per se).  Experience is also a tricky thing.  The bigger busier guests are going to have limited interaction in the auto queue because there simply isn't time, but often if the guest is a bit quieter you may get a chance for a short chat with them which you won't get in the photo shoot.

I think it's something worse discussing as I have gone 180 in my photo / auto debate.

iv just got my collection out and so many photos. They r more personal than an auto I think 

Id be more interested in autographs, but if its a guest id love to meet then I would go for a photo also. And money seems irrelivant, if its an actor/artist etc whos work you are passionate about, then you should get whatever makes you happier, a photo or an autograph. Or both ;).

• Like 1

I've always been all about the autos. I just like collecting merch that has been autographed ! Whether it is by one person, or by a large group. For example I have a rogue one poster that has been autographed by two of the main cast members that I absolutely treasure. Every time I go to get it signed by another big cast member (alan tudyk this year) it"s always the thing I look forward to most. To be honest, that's why i'm also not big on 8X10s (but I have a selection, my arrow guests are all on 8X10s). I just love my merch. 

Saying that, I also get photos for guests that I can't afford to miss out on that may not have a diamond pass (Like JDF who was a huge guest for me). Prop photos can be cool too. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, tenaciouspirit said:

I've always been all about the autos. I just like collecting merch that has been autographed ! Whether it is by one person, or by a large group. For example I have a rogue one poster that has been autographed by two of the main cast members that I absolutely treasure. Every time I go to get it signed by another big cast member (alan tudyk this year) it"s always the thing I look forward to most. To be honest, that's why i'm also not big on 8X10s (but I have a selection, my arrow guests are all on 8X10s). I just love my merch. 

Saying that, I also get photos for guests that I can't afford to miss out on that may not have a diamond pass (Like JDF who was a huge guest for me). Prop photos can be cool too. 

I was the same mate, my Rogue One poster has 6 autographs on it now, so LFCC was massive for me this year, 7 more names to get one it. 

However I recently got Donnie Yen's autograph on a 8x10, I really don't know why I opted out for him to sign my poster, I guess I just wanted him to personalise it for me? Who knows. Also the 8x10 photo is one of my favourite pictures of him.

I think I'll be doing the same with Mads this year, 'bigger' names I think I'll always opt for a 8x10, I'll always want them personalised I guess. 

But ye, to answer the thread... my Diamond Pass with Mads will be my first ever photograph. Autographs are usually my thing. 

Edited by Admiral Ackbar

30 minutes ago, Raylenth said:

Admiral, just to check in case you don't know but you know there's no guarantee for a personalisation and that the busier a guest is the less likely it is to happen?

Oh I'm totally aware Raylenth!! Been hit with it before a few times, but I'll always be cheeky and ask.

1 hour ago, Admiral Ackbar said:

I was the same mate, my Rogue One poster has 6 autographs on it now, so LFCC was massive for me this year, 7 more names to get one it. 

However I recently got Donnie Yen's autograph on a 8x10, I really don't know why I opted out for him to sign my poster, I guess I just wanted him to personalise it for me? Who knows. Also the 8x10 photo is one of my favourite pictures of him.

I think I'll be doing the same with Mads this year, 'bigger' names I think I'll always opt for a 8x10, I'll always want them personalised I guess. 

But ye, to answer the thread... my Diamond Pass with Mads will be my first ever photograph. Autographs are usually my thing. 

I completly understand that. The funny thing is i'm the exact opposite. I prefer the bigger guests on my rogue one poster because I don't have much room! At the moment it's just donnie and mads on there (both with personalisations, although I wish donnie didn't, his was massive, taking up precious space!)

That's the downside to autographs compared to photos. When you start collecting a piece with lots of autos on it, but then have to stop, (or if you can't get a certain guest), so it remains incomplete. It's personally rather annoying

Edited by tenaciouspirit
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Admiral Ackbar said:

Oh I'm totally aware Raylenth!! Been hit with it before a few times, but I'll always be cheeky and ask.

Please don't. The "no personalisations" rule is there for a reason.

You are potentially putting the guest in a bad spot, definitely you are putting the crew in one for having to say "no". If you get away with it and the next person in line decides "they did get one, I should get one too" and is told "no" you are causing upset for these attendees.

And you are putting the crew including mods in a bad spot because then we have to explain that some people choose to ignore the signs and get away with it because the guests are too nice. In any case this will only lead to stricter enforcement of the rules, and I don't think anyone wants that, right?

Crossed wires here. I've never asked or will ask if there's been a 'no items personalised' notification or sign up prior to queueing. Not my bag that. I respect the opportunity and the work put in to it too much. 

For example tho, Carrie Fisher last year hadn't personalised the 20+ people infront of me and I think that was because no-one had asked and people had seen a pattern emerging that she was just signing her name. However, I asked and she said 'of course honey'. If there'd been a warning not to, then of course I wouldn't of even put it on her toes, no way. 

That's all I meant by 'being cheeky' guys, we're all cool. 

• Like 1

I used to be all autos but the stress of getting to the guest's signing table to get a low vq at opening was getting a bit too much. Also, you never know until the day whether they do selfies or not. 

I prefer photos now as I can guarantee to meet the guest I want and get a nice memento out of it! :)

Autographs all the way for me. I admit that I am tempted with the idea of a photoshoot but feel that I run the risk of paying for something that I may end up not being happy with. At least with autographs I know what I am getting and with a bit of luck may get my photo with guest at the table.

Personally, I like both!  If a guest maybe really busy, then I would go for a photo-shoot.  If a guest maybe less busy, then I would go for an autograph.  If I'm a really big fan of a certain guest, though, then I would go for both! :smile:

• Like 2