Whats Allowed/Security

Hi.. apologies if this has been asked before, I did a quick check but didn't see anything.

Can I ask if backpacks are still allowed in?  Only reason I ask is, at a recent con I was at (no sm) they weren't allowed.  Are there any bag size restrictions?  Do they need to be transparent?

Again apologies if asked but any advice/info re bags types allowed would be appreciated.

2 minutes ago, Queen_Sindel said:

Ultimately it is the venue handling security and their call. You can of course contact Olympia and check. But it is still a month out. A lot of things can change in a month.

I understand it will be decided by olympia and sm and possible police etc..  will an announcement be made here with full details once decided?  

Just now, Queen_Sindel said:

If there is anything to announce: yes. If nothing is posted here nothing has been communicated.

So if I dont see anything say 2 - 1.5 weeks before the event then all will be as previously?

2 minutes ago, CarolS said:

So if I dont see anything say 2 - 1.5 weeks before the event then all will be as previously?

Currently most of us are operating under the assumption that all will be as it usually is Carol with no special requirements as to baggage- usual sensible precautions apply, don't have weapons on show outside the venue, I'd suggest if anyone's cosplay looks miliratistic it might be better to change into it at the venue, and even once inside anyone with weapons should consider that people might not be entirely comfortable with them and should handle them accordingly.

Unless something happens I personally don't see that they would need to enforce any restrictions though they may decide to do bag checks more rigorously than they did last year.  However as we saw the weekend of C24 things can happen and the advice may change nearer to, or right before the event throwing everyones plans up in the air.

24 minutes ago, CarolS said:

Well, as Raylenth posted things can happen any time - see C24. If there is another incident close to the show things may change last second.

• 4 weeks later...

Could we please have an official stance on whether or not Backpacks will be allowed in ?

I'm not being funny and I know I wont be alone in saying this how ever that the last thing I want to do is to turn up to the venue only to be told " You cant bring that in here mate " and be left with having to carry around my folders, books etc in my arms.

I find that using a backpack much easier that a normal on the shoulder type bag as it distributes the weight over both shoulders, not just one and for me using a backpack is a LOT less painful on my back which by the end of the day hurts as it is lol How ever I would be in a lot more pain more quickly if I have to use a shoulder bag.

I can appreciate that things do and can change right up to the day itself how ever I would like to be told before I turn up so I will know to find a less painful alternative if I can.

I cannot see them banning anything. They will check them well at most, then let you in.

Banning backpacks would stop thousands of people getting in with them on the day. They know people need them at this event. 

I am not worried about bringing my backpack in any way personally. It will be open and ready for any checks, do the same and I would say no one has a worry :-)

I am even bringing my suitcase my last day, I feel for them checking that haha It will be full. But again open and ready for a check :-)

Last year, all bags were checked on entry.

My only concern was on the Sunday, in which I declared I had a toy gun for my cosplay, but was able to bring that in (of course, I kept this in my bag outside the venue, and mostly kept it holstered throughout the day).

At CM24, bag checks were random, and I was able to bring in a backpack.

7 minutes ago, superwondergirl said:

My backpack will have the following

1 diet coke

1 shopping list

1 subway sandwich

1 pack of tissues

Map to site and bus schedule

Does any one see a problem with this

It's so empty as I will be shopping and need the space

No, there'll be no problem at all with what's in your bag, superwondergirl. You're good to go! ^_^

• Like 1

The moderators have said repeatedly that they haven't been informed of any restrictions.  Showmasters are aware of the concerns people have and aren't going to leave it to the last minute to say "oh we forgot to tell you, you can't bring any bags or water in".

There is no current need to restrict anything so as long as people follow sensible precautions they will be fine.

Many people refer to another event where they weren't allowed to take big bags in but that was taking place literally the day after an attack happened so the restrictions were understandable.  Since then the threat level has been downgraded a bit so there is no need to be so restrictive.  I expect they will have bag checks like they did last year.

Edited by Raylenth
  • Like 2

Think about it logically. If everyone brought a massive bag with them, each would need searching and it would take ages to get everyone in.

Bring what you only absolutely need with you on the day, if you can reasonably justify why you need something anyone would be hard pressed to refuse you entry. Fit it in an appropriately sized bag, the smaller you can make it the better and easier for all involved. Then if any restrictions do get announced closer to the event it'll increase the likelihood you'll still be fine anyway.

37 minutes ago, robmoriarty said:

Think about it logically. If everyone brought a massive bag with them, each would need searching and it would take ages to get everyone in.

Bring what you only absolutely need with you on the day

That's easy to say, but on the Friday and Sunday I'll have my stuff for the weekend, before and after I've checked in and out the hotel.

I don't have a problem with bag checks, but do find it daft you're checked in there, but shopping centre over the road... same bags no searches!

1 hour ago, TerraHawk said:

That's easy to say, but on the Friday and Sunday I'll have my stuff for the weekend, before and after I've checked in and out the hotel.

I don't have a problem with bag checks, but do find it daft you're checked in there, but shopping centre over the road... same bags no searches!

Olympia does have cloakrooms available, suggest you leave some stuff there.

Where would I stand if I wanted to bring my yellow plutonium case for Thomas Wilson to sign. It says on it "Plutonium handle with care" and is covered with radioactive stickers. I am worried about bringing it as I don't want anyone to see it and panic given recent events.