Newcomer question

This will be my first large con that I'm attending, and I'm wondering, what do I actually get for just a ticket? Looks like the talks and photoshoots all cost extra. My questions are: If all I buy is a ticket, what will my experience be like?
If I don't want to pay for an autograph, will I still see the guests? Is there still a lot to see/do without going into the talks? Thanks in advance!

Not all talks are paid for. You'll be able to go to the free ones.

You'll be able to see the guests as you pass them, but you may be able to meet some open queue guests (no virtual queue tickets) that don't have a queue (if the guest and the crewmember accompanying him/her allow it) but priority will be given to those who want autographs.

Some comic book guests may give autographs free without charge.

There'll be dealer tables, and if it's anything like last year's, a table top gaming zone, a video game zone, and a cosplay masquerade stage (as well as cosplayers like myself).

Hi Clutz, I presume you mean the standard entry ticket yes?  If so you won't be able to get any auto's from the guests as they all cost but, if at any point they don't have anyone queueing for an autograph you may be allowed to go and have a chat with them though you have to finish/leave as soon as a paying customer arrives - this is unlikely to happen with any of the more expensive guests as they will probably be busy all day.

There will be plenty of free talks you can go to but you will have to wait until the schedule is published to see what there will be - to go to a free one you just queue at the appropriate time or walk in if it's already started.

There will be plenty of stalls to look at but of course that will be merchandise for sale.

there are usually some displays and movie car replica's to look at and of course the cosplay competition.

The YALC floor will have a variety of young adult authors signing for free, though many of them will only be there for a couple of hours.  Again, if it interests you just keep an eye out for the schedule which is usually published on the main website on the YALC tab.

It might be best to go Friday or Sunday if you can as they will be a bit less manic than Saturday.

8 minutes ago, clutzyninja said:

This will be my first large con that I'm attending, and I'm wondering, what do I actually get for just a ticket? Looks like the talks and photoshoots all cost extra. My questions are: If all I buy is a ticket, what will my experience be like?
If I don't want to pay for an autograph, will I still see the guests? Is there still a lot to see/do without going into the talks? Thanks in advance!

Hello and welcome :D

With your ticket you can only enter the building and look around at stalls etc. Photoshoots and autographs do indeed cost extra. It is highly unlikely that you will see  a guest without getting an autograph, but you may be able to for some of the smaller guests. Hope this helps ^_^

1 hour ago, The Friendly Dalek said:

Hello and welcome :D

With your ticket you can only enter the building and look around at stalls etc. Photoshoots and autographs do indeed cost extra. It is highly unlikely that you will see  a guest without getting an autograph, but you may be able to for some of the smaller guests. Hope this helps ^_^

Well depends on your definition of 'see.' Most guests tables are in the open, so 'seeing' them won't be an issue. If 'see' means 'go to the table and speak to them' you are correct.