Cosplay Experience

bear

Hey guys,

This is just something that i wanted to share. I did my first cosplay at Collectormania 24 after finally building up the courage to give it a go. Throughout most of my life I have had little confidence and self esteem. This is due mainly to being very overweight during my child/teenage years. I managed to lose a lot of weight a few years ago but still lack a lot of confidence as I still see myself the way I used to be (I know it sounds silly).

I am so glad that I managed to finally give cosplay a go. I really didn't know what to expect and I was so nervous. After entering the show I was first approached by a young girl and her mom and asked to pose for a photo which I was more than happy to do. The mom said to me that I really made her daughters day and it was the happiest she has been all weekend. From then on I was constantly stopped for photos and people being very complimentary towards my cosplay.

I am writing this to firstly say thank you to Showmasters foe running these events but a huge thank you to all of the attendees. I have always had extremely low self esteem but by finally doing a cosplay at this event and by mingling with so many friendly people I feel the best that I have ever felt and my confidence has improved dramatically.

I will encourage anybody with confidence or self esteem issues to give cosplay at a Showmasters event a go and I look forward to cosplaying again at LFCC. I am sorry for this long post but it is something I have kept bottled up for many years and I finally feel comfortable to share it and I hope it may help somebody who may be experiencing a similar situation 

Edited by bear
  • Like 5

Well done.

I started cosplaying a few years ago and was self conscious about other seeing me in some of my cosplays when I'm walking to the venue yet all I had were queries about what events were happening, and a few acknowledgements. It's as if other people just go about their business.

But the best parts were others wanting to take photos of me, and making new friends.

I'll be at LFCC this year cosplaying as the 9th Doctor on Friday, Where's Wally on Saturday and the 7th Doctor on Sunday.

Well done on your first cosplay! :smile:

I might cosplay at a Showmasters event someday.  I like so many characters from films and televisions shows, who would I cosplay as?  It would be a hard decision!  I'm quite a shy person, but once I get to know someone and if we have things in common, then I can't stop talking. 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, ChloeLou said:

Well done on your first cosplay! :smile:

I might cosplay at a Showmasters event someday.  I like so many characters from films and televisions shows, who would I cosplay as?  It would be a hard decision!  I'm quite a shy person, but once I get to know someone and if we have things in common, then I can't stop talking. 

Thank you. I am also quite shy but can't stop talking if I find a common interest. If you are on the fence about whether to cosplay or not then just follow through and give it a go

• Like 2

Well done bear on your first cosplay :)

I would love to cosplay too but like you iam really shy and I also have autism,I would be really nervous but like you I can't stop talking if I have a common interest with someone :)

• Like 1

17 hours ago, bear said:

Thank you. I am also quite shy but can't stop talking if I find a common interest. If you are on the fence about whether to cosplay or not then just follow through and give it a go

You're welcome! :smile:

This is my second Showmasters event.  I attended my first one in London, so this year will be my second year also at the London event.  I was quite shy walking around the event, but I had my parents with me, so I had them to talk to.  This year, though, I will have my friend with me, and my parents, so I will be able to talk to them.  I like meeting new people and getting to know new people, I'm just quite shy at the start, then I become more chatty.  I hope to cosplay at a future Showmasters event.

1 hour ago, ChloeLou said:

You're welcome! :smile:

This is my second Showmasters event.  I attended my first one in London, so this year will be my second year also at the London event.  I was quite shy walking around the event, but I had my parents with me, so I had them to talk to.  This year, though, I will have my friend with me, and my parents, so I will be able to talk to them.  I like meeting new people and getting to know new people, I'm just quite shy at the start, then I become more chatty.  I hope to cosplay at a future Showmasters event.

I was really nervous walking around but I went with 2 mates so I had people to talk to like you. As the day went on I felt more comfortable and confident and I can't wait to do it again. I'm just concerned about the heat in Olympia 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, carnosoul said:

Well done bear on your first cosplay :)

I would love to cosplay too but like you iam really shy and I also have autism,I would be really nervous but like you I can't stop talking if I have a common interest with someone :)

Maybe you could try a cosplay that isn't 'out there'. Like something that wouldn't attract lots of attention but you would still be taking part and hopefully feel more relaxed as the day goes on

• Like 1

22 hours ago, bear said:

I was really nervous walking around but I went with 2 mates so I had people to talk to like you. As the day went on I felt more comfortable and confident and I can't wait to do it again. I'm just concerned about the heat in Olympia 

I was nervous when I first went into the building...  I had never been before, so I wasn't sure what it would be like.  Luckily, it all went well and I had a great day!  I'm so excited for July...  I can't wait to go back!  It was really warm two years ago in Olympia, but I didn't know it would get that warm, so I didn't wear appropriate clothing for the warm temperate.  My fault for wearing a long-sleeved shirt!  This year, I will wear something appropriate for the warm temperature. :smile:

Edited by ChloeLou
  • Like 1

22 hours ago, bear said:

Maybe you could try a cosplay that isn't 'out there'. Like something that wouldn't attract lots of attention but you would still be taking part and hopefully feel more relaxed as the day goes on

Good idea :) I'm thinking of trying a original series star trek cosplay I don't think it will attract lots of attention but still take part :)

• Like 2