RIP Adam West

showmasters

Had no idea he was suffering from leukemia. terrible way to go :(

I don't know what the ramifications of doing this would involve, but I think it would be really, really neat if we could keep Adam's desk and picture up in his memory and do a leukemia charity collection or something there. Not sure if he had any favorite charities, but maybe something Showmasters could think about?

• Like 6

Just now, MattC said:

I don't know what the ramifications of doing this would involve, but I think it would be really, really neat if we could keep Adam's desk and picture up in his memory and do a leukemia charity collection or something there. Not sure if he had any favorite charities, but maybe something Showmasters could think about?

It's a good idea, if there are any leukemia charities they could possibly get involved.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, MattC said:

Can we SM? He was a hero to us, maybe he can be a hero to others through this too. ♡ 

• Like 4

• Moderators

Statement from Showmasters

"We are all so very sad to have to inform you all that our dear friend Adam West passed away today. Adam was 88 years old and came to our first LFCC, and was planning to attend this years LFCC for the very last time as he had not been well and wanted to say goodbye to his European fans. Adam was a legend in the comic con circuit and loved meeting the fans and talking about his work. We have lost a true legend and we are all going to miss him at the events and for years to come."

IMG_1921.JPG

IMG_1922.JPG

Edited by StuartG2198
  • Like 3

A few weeks ago I was genuinely devastated by the tragic passing of a key element of my youth Chris Cornell and I hoped that that would be the end of it for a while. As much as I mourned Cornells loss however it pales in comparison to how I feel right now after hearing that Adam West has died at the age of 88.

Everyone who knows me will attest to the fact that I am both a geek and a huge Batman fan as the Caped Crusader is my goto hero of choice, always has been and always will be. And it was through Wests portrayal of the not so Dark Knight that I was introduced to Bruce Wayne, his trusty ward Dick Grayson and all the supporting characters.

True the show originally aired in the late 1960's and it only ran for two seasons and one film (West and co-star Burt Ward would reprise the characters in other tv shows such as Legends of the Superheroes) but it resonated with fans and became such a cult smash that it has been shown by way of repeats somewhere in the world ever since and I fell in love with it when I saw it as a kid.

I'm not going to discuss the pros and cons of the show and its take on the Batman mythos because there will be plenty of others who have an opinion on that, all I will say is that every part of it filled me with childish delight as it still does today and for me West is my favourite live action Batman ever committed to screen (my top guy remains Kevin Conroy from the Animated Series).

Everything about the 60's Batman show was awesome, whether it was the batdance, the can of shark repellent, Caesar Romero refusing to shave off his moustache to play the Joker or the constant one liners being delivered by Robin for me it just never put a foot wrong.

Adam West amassed almost 200 acting credits during his 63 year career and during that time he showed that he had real acting chops and could have been a terrific leading man had the role of Batman not acted as an albatross around his neck as studios weren't prepared to look past his performance on Batman and see what a great actor he actually was.

That said he did carve out a career for himself and younger fans will recognise him best as Mayor Adam West in Family Guy (I hope he gets a worthy send off in that show) though he could never escape the Shadow of the Bat as evidenced by his final acting credit as the voice of Bruce Wayne and Batman in the animated feature Batman vs Two Face which is the sequel to the brilliant Return of the Caped Crusaders from last year.

In closing I have to say that it strikes me as a touch ironic/poignant that just yesterday I watched the finale of Gotham season 3 which saw the beginning of David Mazouz taking his young Bruce Wayne down the path to being Batman, its almost like one new Batman emerges as one of the pioneers of the role leaves this mortal coil.

At least now West can keep the likes of Gorshin, Meredith, Romero and co in check as they play out their game of cunning plans and dastardly traps for all eternity.

RIP Adam, you will be sorely missed but never forgotten.

• Like 5

6 minutes ago, misssaigonaddict said:

will everyone get refunded for this

No, SM are just going to keep the money and go on holiday to the Caribbean in Adam's memory. :rolleyes:

Yes, of course there will be refunds.

And speaking of refund, for everyone: first, I am sorry if I sound pi**ed off. Cause right now I admit I am. Everyone around here knows that it takes a lot to make me be so blunt, and I don't think I have ever been this blunt.

Second: the mods are not the correct people to approach about refunds. I am at EIGHT e-mails enquiring about refunds now plus a number of others complaining about different things, with one person even having given me his card details. To that person, you are lucky you caught me, others might have gone on an Amazon shopping spree now.

Third: it is Saturday night. The news about Adam's passing is barely three hours old. We've lost an icon. SM have lost a friend. I understand you are antsy because the Diamond Pass is expensive. I understand there is other guests you may like to spend the money on. But Adam's not even buried yet. Refunds are going to be handled and an official statement from SM on here will be posted about it. But CAN YOU PLEASE HAVE SOME FREAKING PATIENCE AND WAIT UNTIL MONDAY?!? :angry:

• Like 12

Patience? I would say respect. He didn't manage to get cold yet and people are asking for refunds. What kind of people are you? 

SM never kept the money when the guest cancelled so it won't happen because someone just died.

I feel sorry for his fans. I don't know who he was but it is always a tragedy to the film world and person's fans. Be respectful.

• Like 7

Hear hear.  It is beyond any acceptable decorum that people are asking about refunds at this stage.  To everyone who has asked, please consider how you would feel if you had lost a close friend and people couldn't give you some space and were harassing you with totally trivial matters.

• Like 3

10 minutes ago, Raylenth said:

Hear hear.  It is beyond any acceptable decorum that people are asking about refunds at this stage.  To everyone who has asked, please consider how you would feel if you had lost a close friend and people couldn't give you some space and were harassing you with totally trivial matters.

Hear, hear on that.

Just found out the sad news.

I remember when I lost my father in '99, I constantly had phone calls and faxes for days from friends and family when I just wanted to not be disturbed and help my mother out (my parents are deaf and I'm an only child).

I personally had no desire to meet Mr West at LFCC but know many would want to, and I'm trying to remember if I did see him at Collectormania 8 in 2005.

I deeply apologize for my comment earlier. I am just as devastated about this as everyone else, and am a lifelong fan of Adam's. I am still just as shocked as when I first read about this. I just want everyone to know that I understand that I shouldn't have said anything. Hopefully this apology can be accepted. RIP Adam :(

• Like 1

This is devastating news, I never even knew he was ill.  I have such happy memories watching Batman with my Grandmother when I was a kid and I'm very sad that the world has lost a legend but also for selfish reasons as I was really looking forward meeting him next month.  He may not be with us, but he will be in all our thoughts.

RIP Adam

2 hours ago, Queen_Sindel said:

No, SM are just going to keep the money and go on holiday to the Caribbean in Adam's memory. :rolleyes:

Yes, of course there will be refunds.

And speaking of refund, for everyone: first, I am sorry if I sound pi**ed off. Cause right now I admit I am. Everyone around here knows that it takes a lot to make me be so blunt, and I don't think I have ever been this blunt.

Second: the mods are not the correct people to approach about refunds. I am at EIGHT e-mails enquiring about refunds now plus a number of others complaining about different things, with one person even having given me his card details. To that person, you are lucky you caught me, others might have gone on an Amazon shopping spree now.

Third: it is Saturday night. The news about Adam's passing is barely three hours old. We've lost an icon. SM have lost a friend. I understand you are antsy because the Diamond Pass is expensive. I understand there is other guests you may like to spend the money on. But Adam's not even buried yet. Refunds are going to be handled and an official statement from SM on here will be posted about it. But CAN YOU PLEASE HAVE SOME FREAKING PATIENCE AND WAIT UNTIL MONDAY?!? :angry:

Just to make this crystal clear: this also goes for e-mailing the store.

I was just informed that the first e-mails about refunds arrived about 5 minutes after the news got public, and there are still e-mails coming in as I type this.

Please guys. Rory has already put it right: this is a question of respect. You will get your money back, and it will be as soon as possible. If it wouldn't keep up the refunds for the other fans I would at this point seriously suggest that everyone who has e-mailed in goes to the bottom of the refund pile. :angry:

To quote one of my friends: "Sometimes I weep for the future of mankind." This is already a sad day with an icon passing, but I am really close to fully agreeing with this statement today.

• Like 5

2 hours ago, 007 spells Bond said:

Met him 2015 & '16.

He smiled when I told him I was born 19.9 like him and gave me fist bump :)

Very sad but these guys are getting very old now......not many left from Batman '66 now or 60s Bond films. 

Robin and Catwoman from the principal cast  (not counting John Astins Riddler as Frank Gorshin will always be Nygma to me) are all that's left :(

• Like 1