No Posed Pictures signs

hobbitfanatic

Hi for future events is it possible to make sure those signs are really up to date. Maybe as people join the queue they are also told.

I totally get that some actors don't like having pictures thats fine. Carlos had a No Photos sign so I didn't even get my camera out of my bag. Charisma had a sign saying No Posed Pictures or Video which is fine I get it and I would never ask a actor for posed picture if they had a sign up. 

What I didn't like was being embarrassed by security when my boyfriend was going to take pictures of her as she signed. If she doesn't want pictures or video at all this should be stated. With a No Photos and No Video sign and just enforced when security saw someone getting a camera out. My boyfriend had my camera in his hand for some time when i was in the queue and was just about to line up a picture when he was told. He could have easily been told before then.

• Like 1

The signs are not always upto date. For instance Christian had one up but he posed with people and Peter Shilton was happy to pose with me despite the sign behind him too. (I only asked him after seeing the person in front of me get a picture)

I saw that Julie Benz had a sign up but someone had hand-written in that only flash photography wasn't allowed. At first I just saw the sign from afar and assumed it was no photos at all, but as I got closer I saw what had been written and that she was still doing selfies, just as long as there was no flash. 

I found it surprising that Charisma and Julie were charging for selfies at their desks but there wasn't any clear signage for this anywhere. I must say I was a little taken aback by this as I've never encountered it at a Showmasters event before. I wonder if it will become a new thing? 

Really?  Showmasters have stated that they will never charge for selfies so they may not have been aware of this.  No one else has mentioned them charging Twiga, when was it?

Edited by Raylenth

3 minutes ago, twiga said:

I found it surprising that Charisma and Julie were charging for selfies at their desks but there wasn't any clear signage for this anywhere. I must say I was a little taken aback by this as I've never encountered it at a Showmasters event before. I wonder if it will become a new thing? 

Officially Showmasters don't allow it. I did see CC had added a note to the sign on her desk that gives the autograph price, saying selfies were allowed for a charge. Perhaps if they had put more obvious signage up they would have been spoken to. It does seem to be becoming common practice at other cons, I hope SM continue their anti stance.

14 minutes ago, natedammit said:

Officially Showmasters don't allow it. I did see CC had added a note to the sign on her desk that gives the autograph price, saying selfies were allowed for a charge. Perhaps if they had put more obvious signage up they would have been spoken to. It does seem to be becoming common practice at other cons, I hope SM continue their anti stance.

I hope so too! I like knowing where I stand when I get to the desk too! It looked like a LOT of people paid for these. 

13 minutes ago, Raylenth said:

Ahh cheeky Charisma then.....naughty.

Yes indeed! I felt a little bad for the GA. I've experienced how confusing it can be when guests don't quite play by the rules you're expecting!

• Like 1

6 hours ago, natedammit said:

Yes, they do. This is not supposed to happen and the guest will be informed of this when someone sees them trying.

1 hour ago, Tony1975 said:

Got my photo taken with Julie Benz on the Saturday and she wasn't charging

My mistake. I think it was actually just Charisma doing this. Congrats on getting a photo! :smile: I was too scared to ask after the confusion at CC's table :( 

I was one of the first in the queue for Charisma and she was charging for selfies, she said it would be the same price as an autograph. I didn't pay for one but wish I had queued later now as may have got one :( I didn't ask Julie as assumed she would be the same but then found out she had been doing free ones all day!

The last con I went to before this one nearly everyone was charging for selfies so I assumed it was the norm.

Edited by whitecandy

43 minutes ago, whitecandy said:

I was one of the first in the queue for Charisma and she was charging for selfies, she said it would be the same price as an autograph. I didn't pay for one but wish I had queued later now as may have got one :( I didn't ask Julie as assumed she would be the same but then found out she had been doing free ones all day!

The last con I went to before this one nearly everyone was charging for selfies so I assumed it was the norm.

It was an unfortunate situation whitecandy but Showmasters do not charge for selfies so hopefully this shouldn't happen again as they do try and stop it as soon as they realise it's happening.

• Like 1

Yes, this is absolutely not the norm and really unfortunate for everyone who got caught in it. I can only apologize again.

SM have clearly stated that at SM evens there will never be a charge for selfies.

I am sure that after this one slipped through the guest assistants will be additionally briefed next time.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, RomeroSavini said:

Can we ban the word "selfies" while we are at it ;-)

I just threw up on my mouth....

I said this on reflex to Devon Murray, and then gave my camera to the crew member next to him and Devon just went "that's not a selfie!". I can't believe Devon Murray called me out like this. :blink:

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, Faerie Tanith said:

I said this on reflex to Devon Murray, and then gave my camera to the crew member next to him and Devon just went "that's not a selfie!". I can't believe Devon Murray called me out like this. :blink:

I'm glad he did! I hate when people call photos that are clearly taken by someone not in the picture, 'selfies'.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Wrong Name said:

I'm glad he did! I hate when people call photos that are clearly taken by someone not in the picture, 'selfies'.

Oh no don't get me wrong, I don't blame him. It came out on reflex and quite honestly I believe I ought to have been put to death for this crime. 

• Like 2