How did you all find today?

pretenama2012

The item limit is in place if there is a virtual queue running. I haven't seen it mentioned if the footballers were on one?

Anyway, that still isn't supposed to happen. There's special rules for dealers. I am not sure why they were not adhered to here.

Please accept my apologies on behalf of SM, and I will make sure this gets mentioned.

The space and aircon were absolute bliss.  Was seeing only two guests this weekend and got my autos in record time (by 9:45am!!  Never happened before ever!), so a very relaxed event for me.  My friend had a fair number of photoshoots at the same time, but she managed them without issues, so a good time for both of us.

• Like 1

So very happy to have Collectormania back.

Very well set out and lots of space which was ace. 

Photo shoots really well organised. Staff great - The lovely man who helped me at the end of Carlos Valdes queue deserves a special mention.  Thrilled with my photos.

Fantastic guests.  Loved it being in Birmingham :)

So much better than mk dons, went once in 2011 and never again. I'd been here before as was at the star trek dst in Oct, I think the nec is fab, loads of parking and facilities nearby. Layout was great, the stage seemed tiny as was used to dst. Pleasant as front row for Ben browder! Lol the guests were all amazing and you need to rebook. Dean cain and Ben browder couldn't be any nicer and hugs a plenty. (tho could you get Claudia black next time- farscape I love). Loved all the stalls and the football/film separate. Free talks were brilliant. Staff pleasant and some very happy in helping. Sunday much calmer and chilled out. 

Had an enjoyable day yesterday.

Hats of to the showmasters crew , the guy scanning tickets was friendly and personable , the guy on photobooth A was organised as was the guy on Photobooth B , only met a couple of guests

Pele was awesome and thanks to his assistants in the autograph area, I got exactly what I wanted

Charisma Carpenter was lovely and chatty whilst I was faffing about , even happy to sign the Playboy cover , although for a premium , It was fine with me and she remembered me in the photoshoot, would have been nice if she smiled for the camera though

Congrats on a well organized event and pleasantly for me not too crowded

It was me and my friends first time at a Birmingham Comic Con and we absolutely loved it. The space and the air con was perfect and it was easy enough to get all the autographs that I wanted. 

My only disappointment was Julie Benz.  She was very photogenic and looked happy in the photos but when we got her autograph, she was actually quite rude.  My friend approached her first and said how happy we were to finally meet her,  he mentioned that we bought tickets for her last year in Bournemouth but she ended up cancelling at the last minute. and then he repeated himself by saying how happy he was that she came back.  Her response was "well I had good reason to cancel, i don't just do it for fun. I had work commitments and had to be in hawaii".  I then went up to her and was all  "I absolutely loved you as Rita in Dexter..   did you keep tabs on the show once you left"  [because her character died in Season 4]  ..she then just looked at me sternly and said "I didn't leave the show".  and she just handed me my autograph.   

I don't know if i'm just being insensitive but I felt like she could have humoured us or responded to our questions in a nicer way.  

My favourite guest, however, was Sarah Butler.  She was such a sweetheart and you could really tell she was having a good time.  Loved my photo with her as well ! 

23 minutes ago, Lewisgreen250293 said:

It was me and my friends first time at a Birmingham Comic Con and we absolutely loved it. The space and the air con was perfect and it was easy enough to get all the autographs that I wanted. 

My only disappointment was Julie Benz.  She was very photogenic and looked happy in the photos but when we got her autograph, she was actually quite rude.  My friend approached her first and said how happy we were to finally meet her,  he mentioned that we bought tickets for her last year in Bournemouth but she ended up cancelling at the last minute. and then he repeated himself by saying how happy he was that she came back.  Her response was "well I had good reason to cancel, i don't just do it for fun. I had work commitments and had to be in hawaii".  I then went up to her and was all  "I absolutely loved you as Rita in Dexter..   did you keep tabs on the show once you left"  [because her character died in Season 4]  ..she then just looked at me sternly and said "I didn't leave the show".  and she just handed me my autograph.   

I don't know if i'm just being insensitive but I felt like she could have humoured us or responded to our questions in a nicer way.  

My favourite guest, however, was Sarah Butler.  She was such a sweetheart and you could really tell she was having a good time.  Loved my photo with her as well ! 

It sounds like you may have just hit upon a couple of sore points Lewis, it's unfortunate but they are only human and she may have had people being nasty to her over it.

The last part of my CM24 weekend finished earlier today when gave my friend her signed photo of Dean Cain. 

She mentioned to me weeks ago that she had a childhood crush on Dean Cain but without knowing i was going to CM24 and was going to meet him, my plan was to just get a signed photo to her but instead Dean fully personalised it stating 'I have a crush on you'. 

Competely made her year when she got the photo so thank you showmasters for making that possible and to Dean for being so great.

• Like 1

Thank you...went yesterday and how nice it was to have space, air to breathe, a feeling of safety but above all relaxed fun. Wonderful to have chairs to sit at by the food court and room to browse between stalls. The actors and guests were all wonderful, the Photo Ops run efficiently and with an element of fun.

I went mainly for Michael Shanks (of course ;) ) who NEVER disappoints and had probably one of the best con experiences for a good few years. Ben was lovely too...everyone was lovely and having the extra fun of a total Con Virgin with us and seeing her face explode with happiness at the auto table and photo op experience with Mr S was a wonder to watch.

Please keep the NEC as a venue and continue with this wonderful success of Collectormania here...I would MOST DEFINITELY do it again and again...

And I call this the "Happiest Photo Op In The World"...who's grinning more? 

IMG_1995_zps0vfwq3sr.jpg

I thought it was great overall!!

Best bits:

Staff were good especially Samantha from Extra Help, and the pit boss and queue guy from photo area B, thank you guys <3

Time keeping and organization were really good

Loved the venue, there was space to move and browse, not too hot, food and drink easily available, I hope they have lots more Collectormanias here! The fact that it didn't feel too crowded was the best thing. 

There was a great variety of free talks, dealers and prop shoots :)

The guests!! Dean Cain was such a delight! John Barrowman's talk was awesome.

And of course always good to see SM don't charge for selfies, and provide photos to be signed :)

Not so good bits:

Security obviously wasn't good

Robert Patrick's queue ran out of Scorpion pics by early Sunday morning - it's his current show and has been for years so would have been nice not to have to go buy a pic from a stall

Thought the prices for John Barrowman's photo shoots were very high especially the coat one - eventually decided it was too costly for me

It would be helpful to have some chairs outside the talk area for those who struggle to queue

And I would have liked a Kai Owen talk but that's just personal preference :D

Looking forward to collectormania 25 already!

7 hours ago, Raylenth said:

It sounds like you may have just hit upon a couple of sore points Lewis, it's unfortunate but they are only human and she may have had people being nasty to her over it.

Agreed. She was lovely when I met her to get autograph. We chatted about Buffy and Angel. Also when I had my photo taken with her at the table she had a look at it and insisted on doing it again because it had come out blurry.

My mate was also happy when he met her. They ended up chatting about an episode of Diagnosis Murder that she had guest starred in!

• Like 1

Thought it was excellent overall

Every guest I met was great

Gemma Whelan was lovely and laughed at my embarrassment of wanting a quote with a dirty word and me trying not to say it, Robert Patrick was clearly having a good time and all the guests I had questions for happily answered them.

I hope I can say this because I won't mention the name of a rival event, but at an event I recently was at, it was a bit of a farce, more queuing in lines to autographs (due to bad timekeeping among other reasons) what made me nervous that I wouldn't get to meet every guest I wanted to meet (which I did end up doing), but with the VQ system at CM and most guests working at a good speed, I got to meet everybody and was never worried about it, I think Julie Benz at around 2pm on the Saturday was the guest I met the latest.

I know LFCC is bigger and all that but it actually helped it feel less daunting for me.

Also I went with 2 people, 1 her first ever convention - because she really wanted to meet Michael Shanks - and she had a blast

• Like 1

Awesome weekend loved meeting everyone on my list and a few additions on Sunday.  Pele was amazing so was Ming Na Wen & Ian Wright.  Nigel Benn had me in stitches when doing a joint photo shoot with Michael Watson, he was telling his son off for having his hands in his pockets.  Connor was strugging his shoulders before doing as he was told.  So I guess it doesn't matter who you are or how old you are if your dad says don't do something you just don't do it..lol.

Edited by Jabberwocky50
  • Like 1

First time going to a Collectormania event although not new to showmasters events as I go to every LFCC and I just wanted to share my thoughts about the event.

Pros:

• All the guests were amazing, had Michael Shanks, Ming Na, Robert Patrick and Carlos Valdes to see. Carlos + Ming probably my favorites out of them.
  • Spacious venue although would of liked a few more vendors but it wasn't an issue.
  • Overall it was a decent event and got everything done by the end of the day.

Cons:

• There was no difference in early or general entry as if I had bought a general entry ticket and got to the venue before 9, I would of entered with the Early entry...Unless the scanners prevented this, everyone I saw that came into the venue joined the exact same queue. If this was the case, why did I and others pay the £5 extra?
  • The LONG line for Diamond Pass Collection, nearly 1h to collect mine with from what I saw only 1 person dealing with it.  Didn't help that it was in-between sales and Gold Pass lines.
  • 1st Michael Shanks photo op unable to get through Batch 2, unsure if this was due to him being late or what exactly happened. I had to come for the afternoon photo which was an absolute mess. From what I could see there were 3 people in photo area C during this time, all 3 shouted for last calls which is a bit strange but ok...the worst was when it was time for Shank's photo op, one of the crew had everyone line up in batch numbers outside the lines leading to the stalls opposite  the photo area, which in my opinion was a bad idea as it stopped customer flow in the area. After Batch 1-2 went into the line, a new group of people joined were batch 2 were (they were batch 3) and this caused an argument between some of the people already in the queue with those that appeared, since they were told they should wait next to us without being told what is going on(different people, different information thus why having more than 1 person dealing with the queue is a bad idea). Eventually it gets sorted but shouldn't of happened.
  • On the day floor plan was a bit strange as I only found this out when I saw it on the showmasters twitter, would of been nice to know before the day of the event where everything would be to plan ahead.

Apart from the 3 negatives, I enjoyed myself on the day and had some good interactions with the guests and have memorable moments. Personally, a bit more investment in signage and a better queuing system would be better going forward. 

Edited by CMA
Incorrect Guest Name

• Moderators
28 minutes ago, CMA said:
  • There was no difference in early or general entry as if I had bought a general entry ticket and got to the venue before 9, I would of entered with the Early entry...Unless the scanners prevented this, everyone I saw that came into the venue joined the exact same queue. If this was the case, why did I and others pay the £5 extra?

The scanners would indeed prevent this, until loading for general entry started they would flag up an error if anyone attempted to enter with a general entry ticket. (Anyone in this situation would then be told to either wait for general entry or were directed to the pay on the day line to pay to upgrade.)

1 hour ago, CMA said:

First time going to a Collectormania event although not new to showmasters events as I go to every LFCC and I just wanted to share my thoughts about the event.

Pros:

• All the guests were amazing, had Daniel Shanks,

Michael Shanks ;):whistling:

Only attended on the Sunday.

Had a great time.

Plenty of photo information about + map of the layout.  Staff were very helpful.  Plenty of food + drink options available.

Only down side was the queue for my diamond pass.  More security needed at bag check point, as I had to offer my bag for a security check as people were distracted- I feel like I could of walked straight in without a check.  A bag checked tag  attached to it would of been a good idea.

Roll on London!

Although this was my 6th Showmasters event having done Bournemouth 3 times and Cardiff twice I was a tiny bit apprehensive as I thought this was going to be huge and overwhelming. Personally I don't enjoy the Cardiff event much but Bournemouth is fantastic and has a great vibe and lovely venue and I'd place C24 between the two though certainly closer to the Bournemouth experience.

As many have commented there was plenty of space to get around and the staff particularly the chap manning Photo Area B were great.This was my first experience of the virtual queue system and to be honest I don't know how much it worked or not, it did seem to take a long time to get through the numbers but hey I got all the autos I was after.

My only real gripe was that Jeffrey Combs photo shoot was at the ungodly hour of 17:45, not great when all your ther business is taken care of by 15:45 and you have over a two hour drive home. In then end I had to sacrifice the shoot as my other half may have killed me. Still got a pic at his desk but it's a shame to have missed out.

Assuming the line up next year is as grand I will certainly be back for C25 in fact it's got me to thinking I may venture to LFCC but maybe on the Friday.