Who did you meet today?

jakeblue

Took my 13 year old nephew to his first ever show off this type today and he was blown away to have a picture with Pele and to be complimented on his shirt.

As for me today was great. I got to have a conversation with Jeffrey Combs about the use of different cats in the filming of Black Cat as I got him to sign my Masters of Horror boxset.

Then I got to meet Christian for a photo and joked about not intentionally touching his ass for my unintentionally awkward picture. Straight back round for my HTM photo and he was great too.

Had a joke with Christian when I went to get my photo signed as it looks like I'm performing I'm a little tea cup for god only knows what reason.

Then I took an unscheduled stop by Peter Shooting table and got him to sign a picture for my wife who as a child had a massive crush on him which he thought was funny and which prompted him to sign it 'lots of love', my wife actually squealed when I surprised her with it.

Finally was the wrestlers talk which was awesome, especially watching Christian and Beth squirm slightly everytime HTM spoke his mind without worrying about political correctness, plus I got to ask a question which is always good.

So who did everyone else see and how was your experience?

Got photos with john barrowman, robert patrick, ben browder, pele, frank bruno, harry redknapp, christian, ronnie o'sullivan and gemma whelan. Thought John was great made everyone at ease and so funny, getting picture signed afterwards was great. 

Found Honky tonk man very interesting not just with the awkawrdness of the talk but at the desk i got an old programme signed and he sat there going through it and some of the stuff he was saying about the other people in it was, lets just say enlightening.

Meeting Pele as well, what a dream.

Looking foward to getting back there tomorrow with a few more photos and autos to get

Edited by WayneLee
  • Like 1

I only went for 3 people and found all 3 to be in good spirits.

Gazza: Only went for his photoshoot but he was polite and looked happy to be there. In the nicest possible way it was good to see him in a good condition. 

Sarah Butler: Really really lovely. We had a nice chat about the pressure of filming I Spit On Your Grave and keeping it faithful to the original. Sarah was also impressed in how I took her table photo with another fan that she wanted to hire me as her professional photographer for the day. She was great.

Beth Phoenix: Super sweet. She seemed genuinely interested in if I was having a good time and we had a good natter about her Hall of Fame speech. On a side note Beth has probably the neatest handwriting I've ever seen for an autograph!

• Like 1

Julie Benz- Being a big fan of Saw and Dexter, I was incredibly excited to meet Julie! I'm still floored by how beautiful she is in person, to be perfectly honest. I think I must have told her three or four times that she looked incredible. She was obviously incredibly busy throughout the day and must have been worn out by the end of it but she was perfectly lovely and smiling throughout, took the time to speak with me and pose for a photo at her table. I wish I could have given her a hug (though I knew it was probably best not to even ask, so I didn't.)

Devon Murray- Another chatty one, and I almost couldn't believe how small he is! I always love meeting Harry Potter guests so I was particularly excited to finally get to meet Devon. 

Carlos Valdes- He was all smiles! I've only recently started watching The Flash and I've only seen the first season, and he's by far my favourite. Very sweet, contagious smile! I almost didn't meet him but I'm so glad I did!

Ernie Hudson- Very possibly the nicest guest of the day. While I was in the queue for Julie we made brief eye contact and he waved and said hello. Then later while I was queueing for his photoshoot, he was talking about how he'd felt close to falling asleep while signing, then pointed me out in the queue and said something to the effect of "but then I saw THIS lady here and perked right up". He gave me a hug when it was my turn and then when I came to see him for the autograph, we talked about his work on The Crow (one of my favourite movies and the first thing I ever saw him in) and he gave me another hug, despite being very busy by that point. 

Marc Warren- I'll admit it, one of the things I know Marc from is Ballet Shoes (don't judge me, I saw it ten years ago and it made a very big impression) so I was very keen to meet him for that, as well as his role in the Musketeers. He complimented my cosplay and took time to chat with me while he signed my picture. Very sweet and friendly!

Kristian Nairn- It took me years but I finally met Hodor! Always smiling, very kind and chatty, I only wish I'd dared ask him for a hug!

Daniel Portman- I already met Daniel last year at LFCC; my dad was with me that day, and while talking to Daniel for some reason he asked me where I'd gone to school and I had to tell him that I'd actually grown up and gone to school in France, which prompted him to ask me if I could chat him up in French. I didn't, because my dad was right next to me and it would have been awkward (even though my dad doesn't speak French!). So I basically just went back to meet Daniel today so I could be like "my dad isn't here today, still wanna hear that French?" :D He got me to say something to him and then write down the translation for him to read later. When I went to his photoshoot in the afternoon he greeted me with "I read your note!" along with a wink. 
No, I'll never tell what I said in French to him. Nyah. But I like that I essentially gave him my autograph this time, too.

• Like 2

I was amazed to be the very first in the 'open queue' for Ernie Hudson's autograph this morning! I was shocked he wasn't on a VQ! Ernie was great, very friendly and personable. He was also the same at the photoshoot later in the day - very fun and looked pleased to be there.

I also met Helen Slater, absolutely lovely lady.

My 15 y.o. son met Pele - I couldn't afford a diamond for both of us but he has experienced something truly special today!

See a load of people today. I'd have paid good money for a Carlos talk but understand why they didn't do one. I was a little embarrassed when Nana, Jeff and Deep came out at 9:30 to about 30 people... That's what you get for having two opening times. They were great though!

Met Nana later on and she was lovely.

Ernie's talk was great.. He seemed genuine.

Started to the end to see Charisma and Julie..Beautiful.

Only downside for me was hope disinterested the Game of Thrones lot seemed.... Especially Jemma. I want really feeling that talk but it was a late addition for me anyway.

A good 8.5/10 for me... Is have liked a few more stalls with variety but hey, overall excellent

I had photo s with Michael shanks, John barrowman and Ben browder. I felt embarrassed when I stumbled into Ben but he was a perfect gentleman. The two talk I attended where very good, my only issue w as with the stargate one after paying twenty pound I saw lots of people stood at the side watching for free but this was rectified later in the day. 

I thoroughly enjoyed meeting the above guys and it's a day I'll remember for a long time 

Edited by candymit
  • Like 1

Met everyone that I was planning to -

Sarah Butler - Really lovely. We had a chat about I Spit On Your Grave. She took a genuine interest asking questions about me. Also got a photo took with her at the table.

Charisma Carpenter - I admit I had my reservations before meeting her after hearing about her at other convention. I didn't need to worry. She was chatty, shook my hand. Was a pleasure to meet her.

Julie Benz - Another lovely guest. Again chatty. Had my photo took with her at the table. What really impressed me was she had a look at the photo and insisted on taking it again because it had come out blurry.

Christian - Came across as a genuinely nice guy. Only disappointment was the poor choice of photos to pick from. Wish now I had got a better one off eBay beforehand.

Beth Phoenix - Again another nice guest. We chatted about her being inducted into the HOF. Also got my photo taken at the table.

Helen Slater - Lovely lady pleasure to meet her.

Edited by Tony1975

first Dean Cain for photoshoot, the guy is amazing and all smiles and so nice.

Jeffery Combs for 2 autos, signed my andorian pop, even pointed out how the original Andorians were different to the one he played in enterprise.got posed photo

Nana Visitor for auto, so nice and lovely had a nice chat and i think she has the biggest and best signature ever.got posed photo

Carlos Valdes for auto, he was the quickest and he was very busy but high fived my niece as it was her birthday. no photos allowed at desk

Ming Na Wen for auto- wa so nice, even had bag of chocolates on the desk in front of her for her fans,so talkative loved the chun li figure i brought to be signed, and she was in a wheelchair and still made it to convention.no posed photo allowed.

in all this was an amazing day, thank you to the organisers and volunteers, i was sceptic as i live in milton keynes and was gutted this got moved, but 1 of the best and easiest con you have done, roll on the next one

Marc Warren- very nice and polite, if a bit quiet. he seemed surprised when i unrolled my Band of Brothers poster for him to sign. showmasters need more BoB guests at events *cough*hint*cough cough* ;)

Ron Donachie- (got i hope i spelt his name right) SUPER nice guy and a bargain price too. seemed super stoked to be at the event. 

Daniel Portman- WHY DIDNT I MEET HIM SOONER?! SUCH a nice guy. we chatted about my tattoos (he seemed especially interested in my owl tat. 

Devon Murray- another nice guy. dude really liked the hogwarts express poster (which i bought at the con) to be signed. he's the first HP castmember ive got on it. planning on getting a few more as i go to more cons.

also, over in the Authors area i met James Brogden (again) the past 2 LFCC's i met him, had a chat and got a book which he signed and i did the same again at collectormania. such a nice guy and a good author.

i never really know what to say with a lot of celebrities i meet at cons so my meetings with them are usually fairly short but sweet. i should try and talk more.

I met quite a few guests - John Barrowman, Tony Curran, Marc Warren, Dean Cain, Helen Slater, Julie Benz, Charisma Carpenter, Kai Owen, Nana Visitor and Frank Bruno.  Everyone I met was great and really nice and it was a pleasure to meet all of them. Meeting Tony was especially brilliant for me, I mentioned how much I loved his portrayal of Vincent Van Gogh in Dr Who and we had a nice chat about that.  Dain Cain was also super nice, but really everyone was great to meet.

I met Ming-Na Wen (diamond pass), Carlos Valdes, Ernie Hudson and Devon Murray. They were all such lovely people! It was my first con and I was so nervous about it, but the guests I met were so sweet. I didn't really know how long to spend at each table because I was worried about holding people up but still managed to have a nice chat with them!

Ernie Hudson was such a sweet guy. I was in the queue for his photoshoot with Ecto-1 and before it started, he started his making his way to the people at the front, shaking their hands and took selfies with them. When I went up for my photo, I was greeted in a hug which I hadn't expected but it was nice, nonetheless. Such a genuine guy, I hope he comes again. :) 

Carlos was a gem as well, bless him. We had a little joke about me not being fully caught up with The Flash yet and was just such an all round lovely person to talk to! After meeting him I've decided that I need to finally catch up with The Flash. When that will be, I don't know yet but it will happen... eventually.

Ming-Na was hilarious, I love her. Managed to get front row at her talk and she was so funny. Loved the story about when she told her mum she was in ER and she asked her how to spell it. :lol: I couldn't believe how fast I met her after collecting the diamond pass. I did notice when I was getting my autograph with Carlos in the afternoon, I think Ming was on a break but I saw there was a note and some sweets on the table, telling them to take a sweet. Which I thought was lovely! Bless her. 

Devon was fun to talk to as well! I can't believe he was so short! Couldn't help but laugh a bit when waiting in line for my photo because most people were taller than him, bless. :') He was sweet though and I managed to have a photo with him at his table too :) 

I had a great day meeting the legend Pele he looked pleased to meet everyone and getting photo and autograph was a dream. 

Tony Curran 

Daniel Portman 

Gemma Whelan 

Kristian Nairn 

Marc Warren 

Ron Donachie 

Trevor Brooking 

Ricky Hatton 

Michael Watson 

Jack Charlton 

Anthony Crolla 

Conor Benn 

Steve Collins 

Carl Froch 

Everyone was magic :D to showmasters 

Was there on Sunday and very impressed with the show layout and organisation. First time I've been to the NEC and not had to queue for food for hours.

Met Ernie Hudson and had the Ecto1 photo shoot. What a great guy. Really genuine and a pleasure to meet.

Colin Baker and Bonnie Langford - Colin on top form as always. Really interacting with the guests and Bonnie Langford was a laugh as well.
Only complaint was that the green screen for the Tardis shoot was out of whack and the photo is really bad. Nothing they could do as the queue
was building up and the set-up was rushed as they rebooted laptops and re-jigged the software but to no avail. Disappointed with the photo ( if I could get a refund I would ), but Colin and Bonnie were great fun.

Helen Slater - have to say, not impressed. Was really looking forward to meeting Helen and there was no interaction at all at the photo shoot. This
was Sunday afternoon so perhaps she was getting tired but I left really disappointed. I then went to get my autograph and she seemed the same. Very little
interaction and very difficult to talk to. And no personlisation on the autograph, just signed her name and that's it. Again, very disappointed.

My wife on the other hand had a ball.
Carlos Valdes was brilliant, a really nice guy and came across really well.
Dean Cain was excellent.Huge hugs for my wife and seemed to having great fun at the signings as well. Really engaged with people.
Michael Shanks was cool as well. Another big hug for the wife ( she got all the hugs, I was very jealous )

So mostly highs and one particular low but that's the way it goes. All-in-all a very good day out and enjoyed by all. Well done Showmasters for a very well run event.

Jeff

Edited by jeffusher

You're probably right about Helen Slater being tired - she was lovely on Saturday morning. Also remember that with photo shoots especially, but also autos, you're paying for just that, any interaction is a bonus. We just get spoiled when people like Dean and Ernie turn out to be awesome. That's why I've decided not to mention how rude I found the sport guests who in their joint shoot were having a conversation and ignoring everyone else. I will never divulge their identities.

Anyone fancy a game of snooker?

The boxers were great fun though. Although I always seem to getting mocked by boxers. I think they are intimidated by my manliness.

• Like 1

Helen Slater was great when I met her on sat. She signed a pop for me and a DVD for a friend. Both she personalised. She chatted away quite happily. 

Loved meeting her and dean. Of course he was most people's highlight as he is such a lovely guy. Massive lines all weekend. 

Dean Cain - now my favourite guest ever! What a lovely lovely guy.

Robert Patrick - was quite quiet with me in the autograph but lovely in the photo shoot, so I'm really pleased I decided to go for a pic! Very happy to have met him, hope there will be more Scorpion guests in future. Enjoyed his talks too, seemed like a nice guy.

Charisma Carpenter - didn't reply to my hello in the photo shoot and didn't smile, didn't really speak much at autograph but it was fun to see her in the talks and I'm pleased to have added her auto to my Buffy collection

Wanted to meet Julie too but was trying to budget, nice to see her in the talks though :)

Saturday

Marc Warren (talked about Hustle and working with Robert Vaughn)

Christian (general career stuff and how great to see Matt and Jeff Hardy's return )

Beth Phoenix (Hall of fame entry and speech , how the Women's division was pretty average once her generation retired and that its only recently getting better)

Steve Collins and Nigel Benn (spoke to both about how Boxing at its best was watching boxers like them, Chris Eubank and Michael Watson)

jimmy White - not much as its hard to chat to your idols. Just thanked him and mentioned a previous meeting .

Sunday

Julie Benz - talked about Dexter

Gordon Banks - briefly spoke about 1970 World cup

Dean Cain - great guy. Chatted about Supergirl. He commented on how he loved the shirt I was wearing. i'd only bought it about 20 mins earlier

Ernie Hudson - Another great guy. Spoke about Ghostbusters, old and new

Nana Visitor - I always try and say hi to Nana, despite getting her photo and auto 5 years ago. We talked about the convention 5 years ago, and she loved it when i said she hadn't changed a bit !!

Edited by andrewrolar