Security Update

jakeblue

If you don't listen to me, please listen to the Bear. *claps Applause*

You want stricter? I am sure some have heard of this incident with the weapons in the US at an event. Can't go more into Details due to Forum rules. This prompted a way stricter security. No props for cosplay allowed at all, no bags, security Screenings from hell. Wait time to get in? Over 3 hours. In the heat, with no water available.

That was a different Level of course because something actually happened at the Event the day before. I still am not sure if a security Level that tight was justified, but the security at the venue and the Police decided it was.

I read it as some concerns being raised regarding the level of checks (or lack thereof) in relation to their bags which of course is only an issue based on recent events.

I don't think anyone really had an issue with cosplay weapons though I think it's human nature that some people are going to be on edge in the current climate.

3 minutes ago, Towie said:

When we got there outside the NEC (in the grass area by the big NEC sign) - there were about 4 guys dressed up wielding axes.

this was a poor choice of behaviour by them given the attacks the previous evening.

idiots

People don't always think unfortunately.

56 minutes ago, jakeblue said:

I read it as some concerns being raised regarding the level of checks (or lack thereof) in relation to their bags which of course is only an issue based on recent events.

I don't think anyone really had an issue with cosplay weapons though I think it's human nature that some people are going to be on edge in the current climate.

Bigger part of the Problem I mentioned were the strict checks. I am sure the ban on cosplay weapons added in too because some People brought them anyway, but the security checks there involved wanding, partial disrobing of cosplay Outfits etc. That was what I was mainly referring to.

Cosplay weapons were just an addition I felt was necessary to mention because between StuartG and me we are now at 35 questions can I bring this item or that item to LFACC. And unfortunately the answer is still "we don't know". As this other example Shows, things can Change over night.

3 hours ago, natedammit said:

The people in charge of security are the experts, not any of us. They'll have looked at the events on site at the weekend and evaluated the measures needed. They deal with hundreds of events at the nec every year. 

I am pretty sure the people in charge of security should think to include doing a simple bag check would be an essential measure. Seeing people getting in the venue without a bag check is worrying. I am certainly no expert but I just see it as a bit of a necessity in today's climate. 

The Showmasters volunteers were fantastic as usual, my concerns were more with the 'expert' NEC staff. 

From what I understand they seem to have had bag checks in the morning, and then it trickled away when the main crowds went in? I can only guess, but after Manchester I guess they saw sense in keeping the checks to that time mainly because that is when the Explosion happened there, the crowded time when most People were leaving.

39 minutes ago, Coles84 said:

I am pretty sure the people in charge of security should think to include doing a simple bag check would be an essential measure. Seeing people getting in the venue without a bag check is worrying. I am certainly no expert but I just see it as a bit of a necessity in today's climate. 

The Showmasters volunteers were fantastic as usual, my concerns were more with the 'expert' NEC staff. 

They're more expert than you or I. They have all the data about what makes something a high-risk event thus warranting stricter checks - high profile sporting events for example. If you want full bag checks and pat downs every time you enter a crowded building then you'll need them at Tesco every Saturday not to mention Ikea on a bank holiday. 'Today's climate' has been going on for over a decade now, and neither of the two recent events would have been stopped by bag checks.

Of course this probably isn't the place for this kind of conversation so I'll shut up now.

• Like 4

I also will having the smallest bag I have (with my stuff getting signed) and beeing ready/prepared to get controlled.

Wouldn't be easier to have difference entrances for those who have more /bigger bags / Cosplayer for the security check? I think the entry would be faster

47 minutes ago, Swissangel4616 said:

I also will having the smallest bag I have (with my stuff getting signed) and beeing ready/prepared to get controlled.

Wouldn't be easier to have difference entrances for those who have more /bigger bags / Cosplayer for the security check? I think the entry would be faster

You're in the C24 Forum, I am assuming your concerns are about London?

Still the response remains the same: the security is 100 percent handled by the venue employees. Plus there is not an endless of entrances unfortunately in the first place - you can't simply have large crowds going through the loading Areas for example. They'll have to make do with pretty much the entrances that were used last year.

I am sure they will come up with an efficient System.

On ‎06‎.‎06‎.‎2017 at 9:21 AM, Coles84 said:

Amazing event but the lack of security really did concern me, I appreciate this is not Showmasters fault and is more the venue, I really hope it is stricter at the London venue for London Film and Comic Con.  

I think & hope the same