My First Convention ...of sorts!

ceepeebee

Hi all,

Finally got accepted on the forum and can now post!

Purchased my ticket for Collectormania on Saturday only, however I'm not a veteran of these things and have only really attended Tech events in the past. I'm sure there is lots to do, but I'm just wondering about the setup.

• Are free talks first come first served?
  • When would people usually tart queuing for them?
  • Will there be a list of paid talks availability on the day? If so where?
  • AIs there any etiquette I should be aware of in terms of taking photos when I'm there?

Anything else you think as a newb I should be aware of, please let me know! Looking forward to it!

10 minutes ago, ceepeebee said:
  • Are free talks first come first served?
  • When would people usually tart queuing for them?
  • Will there be a list of paid talks availability on the day? If so where?
  • AIs there any etiquette I should be aware of in terms of taking photos when I'm there?
  • Yes
  • Not too early, I think you may be sent away if you're too early, so about 5 - 10 minutes before, I'd guess
  • If paid talks haven't sold out, you can purchase them at the sales desk on the day
  • Just be polite and ask to take someone's photo. Worst they can say is no. If it's a guest, there'll be signs behind them saying No Photos if applicable. :smile:

1 minute ago, ceepeebee said:

Cheers wjbleming!

Any other advice for my first event like this?

Yep, plan, plan and plan! lol Wear comfy shoes, make sure you know when your shoots are, get any Virtual Queue tickets you need first thing, and have some water on you to stay hydrated.

And most importantly: HAVE A GREAT TIME! ^_^

Woops, sorry, a Virtual Queue (VQ) ticket is used for the busier guests. (Raylenth, another forum user, uses the guide that if they're over £20, they'll have a Virtual Queue in place) You just go up to the end of a queue and are given a numbered ticket. You can then go about your business and come back when your number is on the board at the end of their queue. So if you're given ticket 105, for example, you can join the queue when numbers 1 - 110 are on the board.

Hope that helps. :smile:

• Like 1

ahh gotcha, so it's like a batch system - the sort of thing you get at a restaurant when they give you a buzzer :)

Okay, cheers. I don't have any paid talks booked in yet, I'm just feeling my way around and hope to look around stalls and the like too and make the most of the free talks

13 minutes ago, Towie said:

Would I need a virtual queue for Pele (on the Sunday)?

he has a short 20min photo time.

presume all who have tickets will get seen in the time and timings are based on that.

or is it worth getting in at 10 and getting a VQ ticket anyway rather than just rocking up at the time of the photo?

He's only doing Diamond Passes, so you won't be able to get his autograph without  a Diamond Pass unfortunately, Towie.

Edited by wjbleming

1 hour ago, wjbleming said:
  • Yes
  • Not too early, I think you may be sent away if you're too early, so about 5 - 10 minutes before, I'd guess
  • If paid talks haven't sold out, you can purchase them at the sales desk on the day
  • Just be polite and ask to take someone's photo. Worst they can say is no. If it's a guest, there'll be signs behind them saying No Photos if applicable. :smile:

I'll just add that technically you can start queueing when the queue for the previous talk has all gone in though the crew may shoo you away if they don't want people queuing so early :D

The only other thing is quite a lot of the time you can only use flash photography for the first 5 minutes.  You can still take photo's after but the flash must be off.  Mute all sounds on your camera for the consideration of your fellow attendees, and if you are taking a lot of pictures consider if you are restricting the view of people around/behind you if you are or if you have a long lens it may be annoying if you are taking a lot.

Other than that enjoy.

oh and there's no separate list of paid talks on here - you can see which ones are ticketed in the store and then see when they will be held on the schedule.

Edited by Raylenth

1 hour ago, Towie said:

Would I need a virtual queue for Pele (on the Sunday)?

he has a short 20min photo time.

presume all who have tickets will get seen in the time and timings are based on that.

or is it worth getting in at 10 and getting a VQ ticket anyway rather than just rocking up at the time of the photo?

VQ tickets are for autographs only. You have your Batch number for the photos when you get your ticket. That Kind of replaces the VQ ticket for photos.

Hi,

I am also a novice con-goer and I wasn't sure if it was best to post questions here or in another thread, sorry.

Can I just confirm that autographs are paid for at tables on the day? Or do you pay for them at the ticket booth? 

Is the venue air-conditioned, and therefore sometimes chilly as big buildings can be? Or does it tend to be warm because of all the people and lights? (Wondering whether to wear trainers/jeans or sandals/capris, basically.)

This is subjective, but do people find that autographs or photos are a better 'experience'? The two people I've asked think photos would be a better memento but do you get more time to interact with autographs (not expecting a full conversation, just to say 'thank you for x' or whatever)?

Apologies if these questions have been answered anywhere, I did find answers to some of my other questions but I'm a very anxious person and I'll be coming alone tomorrow if I don't chicken out entirely. :unsure:

If it's cash you pay for autogaphs at the table. If you want to pay by debit/Credit Card you Need to buy vouchers at the organisers booth.

The venue is air conditioned, but due to the amount of People will warm up during the day.

Who are the two People if I may ask? The interaction sometimes can depend a bit on the line. Usually I'd say your chances are better at the autograph line. But if it's someone with a Long line like for example John Barrowman there isn't this much of a difference.

It's all down to personal choice as to what you want to come away with Laure, an auto or a photo.  Generally speaking the photo's are always quick and you will be through in a moment.  As Queen says you can have a chance of a short chat in the auto's but only if the guest is quiet as you have to consider if you are holding up other people.  Some people hands down prefer photo's but equally many prefer auto's.

If you are looking for a memento of the experience rather than because you want the guests auto, it might be better to go for the photo even though you won't have much of an interaction with the guest.

Thanks for the quick replies! It's Ming-Na Wen and Carlos Valdes, so I am anticipating they will both be very busy as they are primary characters in current shows. I have a Mulan lithograph I got almost 20 years ago for pre-ordering the VHS tape(!) which I am tempted to bring for signing but primarily I just want to say hi, I guess.

6 minutes ago, LaureBear said:

Thanks for the quick replies! It's Ming-Na Wen and Carlos Valdes, so I am anticipating they will both be very busy as they are primary characters in current shows. I have a Mulan lithograph I got almost 20 years ago for pre-ordering the VHS tape(!) which I am tempted to bring for signing but primarily I just want to say hi, I guess.

You can only enter the auto queue with a VQ ticket which you will have to wait to be called Laure, depending on what number you have there is a chance that may not happen if it's a high one.  You would definitely get to meet Ming and say 'hi' at least in the photo session.  If you want the auto, go for a VQ but if you aren't too bothered by that your best bet for certainty might be the photo's.

I'm not sure about Carlos though.

Nice to see a few first timers...we need a first timer meeting point to share stories :)

I wanted to go with my Wife but she has particularly bad arthritis currently so the standing is a no go. Still, I'll be there with my "Central City Running Club" tee on :) Not sure I'll stump up for auto's or photos, but I'm interested in the talks actually!

If anybody wants to say "Hi", I'll be the guy wondering around with a smile on my face but a distinct "christ, where do I go" look also :D

Can I just double check again that once I have a vq ticket I can go back at anytime during the day to get my autograph.

I want my Christian photo signed but am looking to grab a vq ticket as soon as i get into the venue.

I'm sure this has been answered as yes but want to make doubly sure.

Edited by jakeblue

39 minutes ago, jakeblue said:

Can I just double check again that once I have a vq ticket I can go back at anytime during the day to get my autograph.

I want my Christian photo signed but am looking to grab a vq ticket as soon as i get into the venue.

I'm sure this has been answered as yes but want to make doubly sure.

You can go back and join the queue any time after your number has been called, yes.

• Like 1