Paying for autographs by card?

Begmfore I begin this is NOT a criticism about pricing, just an enquiry about payment methods for autographs.

Looking through the newly updated guest list with big named guests and lets face it... a general step up in autograph prices among guests of all tiers... I was wondering what facilitates there would be for paying through debit card for autographs?

I know in the past its been mainly cash transactions at the table but now we've moved on to mid-level guests charging 45-50 quid and the special guests charging 75-95 i wanted to ask if there would be card machines available for these larger transactions? 

If its going to be cash only then people wishing to get multiple autographs will either need to take out sizable amounts of money (in the hundreds) at once or make multiple trips to the small number of cash machines available in Olympia which WILL run out of cash in a very short time and will charge you for the service...

I plan on making more than a few autograph purchases and am pleased to do so but As a disabled attendee I feel uncomfortable carrying large amounts of cash with me in a crowded space for an undetermined amount of time while we get through the day... or having to make the multiple trips and queuing for empty ATM's and then having to make the trip outide the convention to get funds.

I also imagine that handling these large amounts will be difficult for the showmasters volunteers who are going to be asked to deal with larger sums than previous conventions.

Therefore I'd like to know if card payments will be possible for autographs and if so: will it be for all guests or just the BIG ones like Hannigan, West and Cleese or for all guests over a certain price (say £40)?... Will card machines (mobile chip and pin) be available at the booth same as cash or will we have to do it  at the information desk and then convert it into tickets?... and will there be any additional charges for using such a service?

Edited by Calzaki

There is a cash machine at the venue, but this is not provided by SM. Usually has Long lines and it has run out of Money too.

If you wish to pay for autographs by Card you simply go to the sales table to buy autograph vouchers. They have several Card machines available there. It is for all guests. You are getting vouchers of different values (5 Pounds to 20 Pounds) and Hand over the correct amount instead of cash. This is available for all guests.

• Like 2

Right, thanks for the info. I knew about the Olympia permanent ATM machines and their habit of running out before lunch. It's just that I totalled my (dream autograph) list to about £300+ and really don't like the idea of getting a cash sum like that out and carrying it all day. I might get the vouchers, or a diamond pass for someone. I was hoping some mobile hand held chip and pin readers might be placed at some of the more pricey guests tables like at the sales table as I'd heard rumours they'd done that for a few guests last year. 

Nope. Even the expensive guests didn't have the possibility to pay by card. You either plan your autograph spendings over three days and carry only small amount of cash or just buy vouchers and that's it. Personally I don't have a problem with carrying this amount of cash with me as I will spend it quite quickly anyway.

Hi Calzaki, I raised this point after another SM event last year where I wanted a similar value of autographs over the weekend. I also use a wheelchair and didn't want either myself or my PA to be carrying around that much cash. I'd stupidly assumed beforehand or misread somewhere that I could simply pay by card.

When I found out I couldn't the only alternative was to get vouchers. You can still pay for these by card rather than having to take out any cash at any point. My only advice would be to get these as soon as you arrive. I hope SM will have learned from prior events, but even with 2 or 3 card machines taking payments for these the queues can get long very quickly. If you know the total amount you want to get that will be a good start. If you are only there for one day then you will only need to queue up once, if you are there for more than one day you could look at splitting the amounts you get evenly at the beginning of each day to minimise any potential losses should they go astray.

13 minutes ago, spengler said:

I think it would be a good move to have card payments on the more expensive guests desks.

there is of course the problem of slowing things down if there are issues.