First time attending

jadeylouise

Hello, hi, hey everyone! 

Wow, it's been years since I've been on a forum hahah so I apologise in advance for being rusty!

On to the point of this post -- it's my first time attending an event like this. As a person with anxiety, I'm really really excited but I'm also nervous? So I just thought I'd post and see if anybody has any tips for a first timer? Is there anything specific I should bring? (I know to wear comfy clothes and bring a bag and stuff as well as the tickets). However, I was wondering if there is anything else I needed to bring? Do I need to bring any I.D or will the tickets be fine? If the answer is yes then what is good enough for ID? Because I don't have a driving license or a passport - the only thing closest to photo ID probably is my NHS smartcard but that only has my photo and my name? And the person I am going with doesn't have ID either so I just wondered whether it's necessary and things. Or whether the tickets will be enough.

I understand that photoshoot and talk times will be posted closer to the day, right? Please correct me if I'm wrong! :)

And a few things about how the VQ thing works. I have a diamond pass for Ming-Na Wen so will I need a VQ ticket for the photoshoot or autograph? Are the diamond passes in batches? I noticed that when choosing photo-ops for other guests, and Ming-Na herself (I was curious to see), you can choose the batch number whereas you can't for the diamond pass? So would I be right in assuming that I don't need to choose a batch? The diamond passes go before any of the normal ones, is that correct?  

Do I need to get VQ tickets for any other autographs/photoshoots as well? Do you get all VQs from one place or are they around and about for different guests? If that makes any sense?I have tried to read as much as I can re: the VQ tickets but I think I've read so much into it that I've confused myself or am doing the classic overthinking thing to make it seem more complicated than it actually is. :unsure:

And lastly: do you have any other tips to make my first con-event-thingy an enjoyable experience? 

I won't lie, I've been plucking the courage to post this for the past few days (again, excessive worrier over here overthinking everything and nothing all at once)  because I don't want to sound repetitive or ask stupid questions. Apologies if that is the case!

Thanks so much for any and all replies in advance :)

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, jadeylouise said:

Hello, hi, hey everyone! 

Wow, it's been years since I've been on a forum hahah so I apologise in advance for being rusty!

On to the point of this post -- it's my first time attending an event like this. As a person with anxiety, I'm really really excited but I'm also nervous? So I just thought I'd post and see if anybody has any tips for a first timer? Is there anything specific I should bring? (I know to wear comfy clothes and bring a bag and stuff as well as the tickets). However, I was wondering if there is anything else I needed to bring? Do I need to bring any I.D or will the tickets be fine? If the answer is yes then what is good enough for ID? Because I don't have a driving license or a passport - the only thing closest to photo ID probably is my NHS smartcard but that only has my photo and my name? And the person I am going with doesn't have ID either so I just wondered whether it's necessary and things. Or whether the tickets will be enough.

I understand that photoshoot and talk times will be posted closer to the day, right? Please correct me if I'm wrong! :)

And a few things about how the VQ thing works. I have a diamond pass for Ming-Na Wen so will I need a VQ ticket for the photoshoot or autograph? Are the diamond passes in batches? I noticed that when choosing photo-ops for other guests, and Ming-Na herself (I was curious to see), you can choose the batch number whereas you can't for the diamond pass? So would I be right in assuming that I don't need to choose a batch? The diamond passes go before any of the normal ones, is that correct?  

Do I need to get VQ tickets for any other autographs/photoshoots as well? Do you get all VQs from one place or are they around and about for different guests? If that makes any sense?I have tried to read as much as I can re: the VQ tickets but I think I've read so much into it that I've confused myself or am doing the classic overthinking thing to make it seem more complicated than it actually is. :unsure:

And lastly: do you have any other tips to make my first con-event-thingy an enjoyable experience? 

I won't lie, I've been plucking the courage to post this for the past few days (again, excessive worrier over here overthinking everything and nothing all at once)  because I don't want to sound repetitive or ask stupid questions. Apologies if that is the case!

Thanks so much for any and all replies in advance :)

Hey mate, I was in your position last year. We've all been there ;)

Firstly, you will not need ID, only your entry tickets.

The photo and talk schedule is usually posted around a week before the event.

If you have a diamond pass, you don't need a VQ for that guest. Diamand passes are numbered, not in batches. Diamond holders get autograph and photo priority, so they do go first.

Depending on which guests you want, you may need VQ's for them. You collect a guest's VQ at their signing table.

Other tips: Plan accordingly so you don't stress on the day.

And don't worry about asking questions. We're always happy to help on here. :D

For advice, I'd say the best I can give is to plan! When the schedule comes out, make sure you have a copy in a way that suits you (I write my own with just the guests I am meeting on with the time and photo area I need to get to). Also, water, make sure you keep a bottle on you, these places can get hot especially when there's a lot of people.

With ID, if you have the card that bought the tickets, that should be fine.

The schedules are normally posted around a week or so before the event.

Having the diamond pass for a guest means you won't need a vq ticket (these are only used for autos by the way). Diamond passes are numbered and you will be called up in groups for photos and autos if necessary.

As I said, VQs are only for autos and for any guest you don't have a diamond pass for, you will need a VQ ticket for. Some of the smaller guests will not be on them a good rule of thumb is usually a guest £20+ will be on but this can all change on the day so keep an eye out. For photos you will be called up diamond/gold/batch 1/batch2/etc. No VQs are needed as you have tickets.

Otherwise my advise to to try not to panic, take it all in and enjoy yourself! 

Awesome stuff! Thank you both so much for the advice - I wasn't expecting a response so fast. :lol: 

So, if some of the smaller guests don't require a VQ - will you already know when you go to their table if they are needed or not? And with autos do you pay for them when you get to the table after getting a VQ or do you do it once you're there? Or before both of those? These might sound like some really random questions but I just like to know what to expect, is all! (: 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, jadeylouise said:

Awesome stuff! Thank you both so much for the advice - I wasn't expecting a response so fast. :lol: 

So, if some of the smaller guests don't require a VQ - will you already know when you go to their table if they are needed or not? And with autos do you pay for them when you get to the table after getting a VQ or do you do it once you're there? Or before both of those? These might sound like some really random questions but I just like to know what to expect, is all! (: 

There will be a crew member handing out/collecting the VQ tickets and a sign saying which vq numbers can join at the end of the queue for those guests using them, If there is no crew member and sign (or sign says open queue) then you won't need one. VQ doesn't guarantee an auto as you don't know how many autos a guest will manage in one day (which is why to want to get there as early as possible to get a low vq number) so you pay just before you meet the guest to the crew member wither part way up the queue at a table, or they will be sitting with the guest, depending on how they're set up.

It's fine, these are all normal questions for a first timer! Ask whatever you want as there's usually someone around here who is happy to help. We were all first timers once, so nothing you say will seem stupid!

If  guest isn't on the VQ system it's because they aren't as busy so you can just join the end of the auto queue any time you want Jadey.  You pay for the auto's once you are in the queue for that guest.  The bigger guests will have a table mid queue line where the crew will take your money and give you a slip where they will have written on it how many auto's you are getting, you then give that slip to the crew member sitting with the guest when you get to the front of the queue.  With the smaller guests you pay the crew member sitting with them at the table.

When you get your VQ's you go away and keep checking back to see what number they have called up to.  One the batch that your number is in has been called you can join the auto queue (you don't have to go through as soon as they call your numbers, you can join any time AFTER your number has come up, so don't worry if you aren't there when it's called) and then you pay

You don't have to worry about anything to do with Ming-Na as you have a Diamond pass for her but I'd suggest writing out who else you want to get auto's from and putting them in order of importance.  When you get into the venue try and go for the VQ's for the ones you most want first and then get the others.  The guests seats aren't specifically marked on the floor plans usually, they just show the general area where they will all be located in the venue.  When you get inside go straight to the signing area and each guest will have a big bill board above their desk with their name and picture on, so have a look around and find the desks of the people you want and get the VQ tickets from the crewmember manning each guest's queue. 

https://www.google.co.uk/maps/@52.4520781,-1.7194153,530m/data=!3m1!1e3

If you look at the map you can see the station on the bottom left and NEC on the top right.  It looks like the station connects with the building in the middle which connects with the NEC. I'm sure it's really well signposted though with how to get to the NEC from the station as it's going to be where most people getting off there are going other than the airport.

That's alright charlesberg, if you use pin man you can see from people's pictures that it's basically one long corridor that run from the station through, they have some of those travelators you get in airports!  I'd imagine it's going to take about 10 mins or so to walk it.

2 minutes ago, Towie said:

Another newbie - sorry!

i think I get the way it all works from the above posts (buy autographs on the day and queue or virtual queue!

for posed pics- buy tickets in advance and turn up at allocated batches.

couple of questions though:-

-do all have things like pics at the tables to sign (ie. 10x8 pics) or do you have to bring your own stuff? (Awkward I guess if you decide on someone whilst there)

-are the guests all in an open area signing or in private rooms/booths etc?

-if it says guest is there 11-3 for autographs/pics is it set times for each (ie. Couple of hours for pics and couple for autos).

im not really bothered about autographs but would quite like some photos.

if a guest is shown as autographs only do they also usually do a pic/selfie of you buy an autograph?

Thanks in advance

All guests have pictures at their tables, and are all in an open signing area. There are allocated times for photos and autos. Finally, some guests do table photos, but you will never know until the day.

40 minutes ago, Towie said:

Another newbie - sorry!

i think I get the way it all works from the above posts (buy autographs on the day and queue or virtual queue!

for posed pics- buy tickets in advance and turn up at allocated batches.

couple of questions though:-

-do all have things like pics at the tables to sign (ie. 10x8 pics) or do you have to bring your own stuff? (Awkward I guess if you decide on someone whilst there)

They all will have 8x10's but you can bring your own item or get one of them.  1 is included in the price of the auto though they ask that you consider others and don't take them if you don't need them.  With the 8x10's if you want a specific image it's better to source it yourself and bring it as you won't know what is on offer until you are there.  Most are good quality but some can be a bit fuzzy if they only have a few frames to print from.

-are the guests all in an open area signing or in private rooms/booths etc?

Generally most guests will be out in the open, booths/rooms do get used for the really big guests to keep them from view in order to stop people hanging around trying to get a glimpse of them.

-if it says guest is there 11-3 for autographs/pics is it set times for each (ie. Couple of hours for pics and couple for autos).

The actual time split will only be known when the schedule is published about a week before the event.  The photo session length is determined by how many tickets have been sold so it's not set.  Usually the smaller guests will only have a 15 minute shoot as they can get through quite a lot in that time.

im not really bothered about autographs but would quite like some photos.

if a guest is shown as autographs only do they also usually do a pic/selfie of you buy an autograph?

I'm not aware of any guest who would be auto's only but I'm not as familiar with the set up for the sports guests as I don't see them.  Most guests do llow pictures at the table but you won't know until you are in the queue.  If they aren't allowed there will be signs up saying either 'no posed photo's (selfies/no photo's (none at all, even from the queue)'  If these are up please respect them - there are a variety of reasons they may be up, for example some guests get migrains so don't want camera's going off in their face all day, and doing loads of selfies is quite strenuous.  Sometimes a guest will start allowing pictures, and then the signs may go up so it can change even on the day.

Thanks in advance

Please see above