Alien Covenant

Ricksta

Have you seen it and what do you think?

I am a huge fan of the original four films (to a varying degree, as the quality diminishes with each instalment), hated the Alien v Predator movies and Prometheus was just ok.

I must admit I left the cinema on Friday night a little bit unsure what I thought of Covenant. To be honest, I found it all a bit confusing, the character development a little on the lean side (probably because there were too many) and the Alien itself underwhelming.

I think the mystique from the original franchise has been killed off a bit and I find the concept of Michael Fassbender's character having developed the genetics of the Alien a massively disappointing origin backstory.

In short, I think its all become a bit of a mess, which is a real shame and a bit of a surprise given that Ridley Scott is involved. What does everybody else think?

I will be meeting some of the Alien cast at LFCC and it would be interesting to ask what they make of it all? Would love to know what Sigourney makes of it!?

I haven't seen Alien: Covenant yet, but I plan on seeing it at some point.  I love the original Alien films with the second and fourth being my favourites.  I wasn't a fan of Prometheus and I wasn't a fan of the Alien Vs. Predator films.  However, after seeing the trailer for Alien: Covenant a few times, I will check this film out.

Wow, ChloeLou. First person I have come across who would put Alien Resurrection as one of their favourites from the series.

I sort of liked it but it was a bit strange, as it was like a black comedy rather than the sci-fi / horror of previous films.

IMO Ron Perlman's (along with Sigourney's) was the best performance.  

Agree that Alien vs Predator were awful. Prometheus had a lot of promise but just wasn't quite right.

Yeah, check out Covenant and see what you think....

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Ricksta said:

Wow, ChloeLou. First person I have come across who would put Alien Resurrection as one of their favourites from the series.

I sort of liked it but it was a bit strange, as it was like a black comedy rather than the sci-fi / horror of previous films.

IMO Ron Perlman's (along with Sigourney's) was the best performance.  

Agree that Alien vs Predator were awful. Prometheus had a lot of promise but just wasn't quite right.

Yeah, check out Covenant and see what you think....

The first Alien film I ever saw was the second one, so I love it just because it introduced me to the Alien films!  I loved Alien: Resurrection a lot and it's the one I watch the most often!  However, I can agree, it was a bit strange.  But Sigourney and Winona are just amazing!  Prometheus had a good plot idea, but just wasn't there...  Unfortunately, I just wasn't keen on it.  The Alien Vs. Predator films weren't great, in my opinion, so I wasn't keen on them.  I guess the idea of the Alien versing the Predator is good, but the films just lacked something, but I'm not really sure what.

i totally agree with Ristra summary of the film I wouldn't be surprised if Ridley Scott walks away from directing any future Alien films after this..For me there wasn't anything original,  the script was a mess and very predicable especially from the second act till the end..But that's just my opinion..

Edited by Jabberwocky50

I have loved every entry of the Alien/Predator/AvP franchise and loved the latest film in Alien Covenant Prometheus is properly my second favourite of the franchise my favourite being the original Alien film however Alien Covenant was an excellent film and Michael Fassbender put in an excellent performance once again if only Showmasters could get him as a Diamond pass guest as it would be amazing    

Edited by Starbug
  • Like 1

11 hours ago, mpharris said:

Just want to add my love for Resurrection. It's my favourite of the series as well (but I am madly in love with Winona Ryder!)

I love Alien: Resurrection as well!  Winona Ryder is one of my favourite actresses' and love her films! :smile:

I was disappointed with it but I'd put it on a par with Prometheus. Nowhere near as good as the original films but still better that the AVP franchise. I hated how much CGI was used for the creatures and had many other issues that are in spoiler territory so won't say them here.

This was a awful film with very little I can say I enjoyed.  Full of unsurprising cliches, a very bad story line that makes the ships crew out to be complete morons, no futherance of the Builders story.  The CGI of the morphs was mostly bad and a certain scene reminds me of a scene in the opening of GOTG2 and not in a good way that GOTG2 was.

I am seriously irked at how much they have failed with this.

• Like 1

Seen it this afternoon. Didn't mind it, kinda liked it, but the CG on the morphs, especially the young, was not the best to the point it just didn't fit in with the film! :( 

For me, though, the worst part was outside of the film, in that the guy beside me kept on impatiently moving his foot so much I couldn't concentrate on the film cos of the noise he was making! :( 

I'm a long time Alien hardcore fan going back almost 30 years and I have to say I was disappointed. Looks like Ridley tried to make a big summer smash filled with action and not so much on story while trying to shoehorn in the introduction and origin of the Alien. I really didnt like that the Aliens came from THAT. Since 1979 everyone thought the Aliens were something else but now it turns out they're THAT.

The climax was just a short rehash of Alien obviously cobbled together cos they needed an action scene. 

I did like the ending though and I think the next one will be a lot more interesting.

It was a good film, but I felt that Ridley Scott did what JJ Abrams did with The Force Awakens; made a retread of the original for a new generation with some additional elements added. Lots of references to Alien and Aliens (and Blade Runner!)

Michael Fassbender was excellent and the ending was deliciously creepy.

I would rate it as the 4th best Alien film (just behind Prometheus)

I will add Alien Covenant is so badly cast its insane! Utterly dreadful casting choices for every single cast member except Fassbender. Such unmemorable people in all roles.

At least all the past 4 Alien films (and Prometheous) were beautifully cast with likeable, memorable charecter actors of which pretty much all are a joy to watch do their thing, even if not in the best films. 

Edited by RomeroSavini

7 minutes ago, RomeroSavini said:

'I will add Alien Covenant is so badly cast its insane! Utterly dreadful casting choices for every single cast member except Fassbender. Such unmemorable people in all roles.

At least all the past 4 Alien films (and Prometheous) were beautifully cast with likeable, memorable charecter actors of which pretty much all are a joy to watch do their thing, even if not in the best films. 

I get where you're coming from; I could only remember two of the crew's names 5 minutes after watching the movie!

Although that could be senility...

Edited by Bumper8
spelling correction

Yup I cannot remember anyone's name either haha Not even the lead charecters name. That isnt good for any film.

Not a horrible film, just messy and badly cast for me.  But hey everyone should still make up their own mind, as hey a few people I know loved it.

• Like 1