Favourite musicals

The Friendly Dalek

Hi all. I want to ask what your favourite musicals (e.g. Les Miserables and The Phantom Of The Opera) are and why, and have you ever seen a live musical. (Also, I posted this here because I couldn't find a sub-forum for this kind of thing).

Edited by The Friendly Dalek

My all time favourite musical is (my profile picture gives it away) Jeff Wayne's musical version of The War Of The Worlds. It is absolute perfection, and I recommend it to anyone (you should check it out Raylenth :D).

I have seen it 3 times, in 2006, 2014 and 2016. I have also seen Les Mis, The Lion King and The Lord Of The Rings. 

Wicked is, I think, my favourite. Definitely the one I've seen the most... (23 times, I think, I've kind of lost count tbh)

I love everything about it, the music is incredible and I love the familiarity of the story (from Wizard of Oz) but the different view of it. The characters are incredible and the set breathtaking. It helps that my first, and most seen, Elphaba was breathtakingly good and totally made me love it even more than I would have without her.

I also looooove Rocky Horror Picture Show (never one to resist a chance to dress up!). It's so funny, and incredibly silly, but the music is incredible, and one time we saw it we had the great Richard O'Brien as Narrator which will never be beaten. 

Seen... Wicked, Rocky Horror, Phantom of the Opera, Chicago, Starlight Express, Avenue Q, Hairspray, Godspell, Joseph, War Horse (does that count? There was music), Once, The War of the Worlds, We Will Rock You... I think that's it. 

• Like 2

I love Hairspray and Rocky Horror seen both live a number of times. Love hairspray for the music know all the words and love Rocky Horror for the crowd interaction that happens with it but i find with Rocky how good the live performance is depends on who is cast as the narrator. 

If get spare time nothing i like more than popping over to milton keynes or london for a theatre trip seen so many now including Grease, Miss Saigon, Wicked, Lion King, Shrek, Starlight Express, Thriller, Rock of ages, we will rock you, pricilla queen  of desert, Joseph, 9 to 5 the dolly parton musical, matilda, school of rock and so many more to name however never seen Les Mis strangely.

Edited by WayneLee

Seen many, many musicals. Favourites are The Rocky Horror Show which I've seen on every tour since 1992, The Producers, Spamalot, Chitty, West Side Story and Jesus Christ Superstar. I've never seen Les Mis and never intend to, it just doesn't appeal in the slightest.

The official best musicals as seen by me are as follows:

1. Joseph and the Amazing Technicolor Dreamcoat (yeah it's dumb, but I don't care: I've loved it since childhood)
  2. Matilda (seen during it's original RSC run in Stratford dah-ling)
  3. The Lion King (the first 5 minutes is the best)
  4. Oklahoma (a classic)
  5. Chitty Chitty Bang Bang (several of the characters were v. annoying)
  6. Jersey Boys (on Broadway - the seats were tiny so it comes last)
  • Like 1

In terms of films, my favourites are "Oliver!" and "Singin' in the Rain". Have seen these live as (very good) amateur productions.

I love "The Producers" (not sure if it counts as a musical but it is about a musical!). We saw the production with Jason Manford and Ross Noble and met them after the show.

• Like 1

My favourite musicals are Phantom of the Opera, Sweeney Todd and the Lion King. I've seen both of the shows in the West End, on Saturday just gone I saw Phantom for the second time in over 11 years and met the actor who plays Phantom Ben Forster who is such a sweetheart to chat with.

• Like 1

My favourite varies. At the moment, I'm obsessed with Les Mis and Miss Saigon. I love the songs. :')

As for the musicals I've seen... Not that many yet, unfortunately! I saw Rocky Horror last year (... I think it was last year?) as well as Blood Brothers. I'm going to see Miss Saigon in September, Hairspray in October and then I've got Wicked in April! So a fair few to look forward to, I think! :-) Would love to see most musicals at least once though.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, charlesberg said:

last musical I saw was avenue Q and yes go see it, its awesome! which reminds me, I still need to get tickets for the book of mormon

That reminds me - I saw Avenue Q with my family years ago. I'll update my list, I'm sure you're all dying to know where it fits. 

1. Joseph and the Amazing Technicolor Dreamcoat (yeah it's dumb, but I don't care: I've loved it since childhood)
  2. Matilda (seen during it's original RSC run in Stratford dah-ling)
  3. The Lion King (the first 5 minutes is the best)
  4. Oklahoma (a classic)
  5. Avenue Q
  6. Chitty Chitty Bang Bang (several of the characters were v. annoying)
  7. Jersey Boys (on Broadway - the seats were tiny so it comes last)

I'm going to see Legally Blonde later in the year. I imagine that will slot in quite low on the list.

I haven't seen any live yet, but I do plan on seeing some live in the future.  Here are my favourite musicals: Grease, Aladdin, The Lion King and The Rocky Horror Picture Show! :smile:

Edited by ChloeLou

• 3 months later...
  • 1 month later...
On 5/26/2017 at 9:30 AM, natedammit said:

I'm going to see Legally Blonde later in the year. I imagine that will slot in quite low on the list.

The verdict's in, and I have to admit; 

You'd need to be quite the miserable git; 

Not to enjoy this I think;

Despite all the pink;

Oh my God, you guys, it's a hit!

Grease (because it's too cool for school)

Mary Popping (because Julie Andrews is gorgeous and her voice is perfection)

Chitty Chitty Bang Bang (because the Van Dike is the man.....and it has a flying car)

Willie Wonka and the chocolate factory (because............Gene Wilder)

I've seen Phantom live but these are my top three in this order.

I would put Star Wars holiday special in there but i'd be banned from the board and have to become a hermit to avoid all the hate mail.

Edited by Doppelganger
  • Like 1

les mis and wicked definitely!!! Have seen them both at either the West End or the Bristol Hippodrome, and I'm going to c Wicked again when it comes to Bristol next year... :D

Other musicals I've seen on stage include The Lion King and Disney's Beauty and the Beast. ^_^

• Like 1