Insuring autographs/ photos

vicky114

After attending showmasters events over the last decade I have acquired lots of autographs that are worth far too much money and I was thinking that should the worst happen ie fire that destroys them. Should I insure them and if I do are there any companies to use / not use. I still live at home and my parents aren't interested in adding them to the house insurance. Thanks

this is something me and my husband have talked about dince starting collecting photos/autos over past few years. I keep meaning to call our home insurance and add them on. Not sure about a company doing it individually but you could just call a few insurance companies and ask.. sure you will gwt insurance. shame your parents dont want to add it on.

I don't really know much about insuring them but I'd imagine that unless individual pieces are worth a lot of money on their own, they won't offer to insure your auto's individually and may just classify them under the general terms of the household insurance. Why I say this is that for example, I have a piece of original artwork that cost me about £150 to buy, not a lot when it comes to art really but not £10 either. When I asked them if things like this needed to be specifically listed on the insurance, it didn't even come anywhere near the threshold for individually listing them.

If you do have individual pieces (by that I include cast signed posters/items as well) that are very valuable you may be able to insure them on their own but they would have to worth a lot.

It would be interesting to hear the answer though as I could well be completely wrong!

I've got my autograph collection insured. I've paid a little extra to have them added it to my house contents insurance. The insurance comapny took an approx value of the whole collection as different pieces are worth different amounts. I've unusual items like below along with autographs from famous people past & present I've collected over the years

Mo Farah's signature on a piece of the test track laid at the Olympic Stadium before it was removed and the new track laid down for the Olympics track events. Mine is one of 14 produced.

The 2012 GB Olympic gold medal Sprint cycling team signatures on a 2012 medal tray there are only 8 of these ever done.

Getting an accurate price is a little difficult without going to an expert to appraise them

Vicky maybe worth emailing your parents insurance comapany and seeing if they could help you out..

• Moderators

I've queried it with my insurance company before i regard to having my items added to our contents insurance unfortunately the insurers wanted me to send the whole lot off for a valuation and have it certified before they would continue, due to the volume of stuff I have I have been advised it would be extremely expensive getting it all valued so I'm currently looking at other options myself.

I've got my autograph collection insured. I've paid a little extra to have them added it to my house contents insurance. The insurance comapny took an approx value of the whole collection as different pieces are worth different amounts. I've unusual items like below along with autographs from famous people past & present I've collected over the years

Mo Farah's signature on a piece of the test track laid at the Olympic Stadium before it was removed and the new track laid down for the Olympics track events. Mine is one of 14 produced.

The 2012 GB Olympic gold medal Sprint cycling team signatures on a 2012 medal tray there are only 8 of these ever done.

Getting an accurate price is a little difficult without going to an expert to appraise them

Vicky maybe worth emailing your parents insurance comapany and seeing if they could help you out..

I would but it's my parents policy and they aren't interested unfortunately.