Gifts for guests

Litafan83

The one thing that is a no no is home made food so it's advisable to keep clear of that. I've seen people give a wide range of gifts in the past but it's all down to the person giving it really. Sometimes it's related to the work they have done, sometimes not.

If you are buying gifts make sure you don't spend a lot of money on it. The reality of giving gifts to guests is that, especially for the overseas visitors, they can't take it all home so a lot of it may not be taken away.

• Like 1

The one thing that is a no no is home made food so it's advisable to keep clear of that. I've seen people give a wide range of gifts in the past but it's all down to the person giving it really. Sometimes it's related to the work they have done, sometimes not.

If you are buying gifts make sure you don't spend a lot of money on it. The reality of giving gifts to guests is that, especially for the overseas visitors, they can't take it all home so a lot of it may not be taken away.

Thank you, i definitely wasn't going to give any home made food. I was thinking something simple like a small gift or chocolates.

Stan Lee got a little jar of crispy pancakes from a girl standing in front of me. She got a very happy thankyou from him, a very hearty one. That was basicly the only time he lifted his head to make eyecontact with a guest during the time I could see him signing. So gift is a good thing sometimes.

I've seen a girl bring a guest his dinner. I heard her say "...I know you won't get much time away from signing/photos etc."

Just a simple 'chips with gravy' from one of the stalls, but he was extremely grateful.

Edited by Queen_Sindel

I have a friend who makes crochet patches and loves the idea of her idols having some of her stuff - but she cannot travel. So she usually sends me, for instance, a Torchwood patch to give Eve Myles, or a Gondor patch for David Wenham. They are always so grateful and humbled that someone took the time to craft something specially for them. If you have any artistic or craft skills, go for it!

I tend to make small clay figurines of the guests that i'm meeting to give them. I also try and time it so i'll give them the gift whilst getting an autograph and come the photoshoot a few hours later the guests tend to remember me (some occasions even my name!!)

When the lovely Michael Madsen came to LFCC a few years ago I made him a clay Mr Blonde but I also bought him a small furry pet haggis for him to take care of. However apparently he couldn't quite grasp the concept of a haggis and the poor crew member with him had to explain about 3 times once I left what it actually was :P

Should he ever come back, I will give him another haggis.

Edited by Zonky

Only gave gifts to a couple of guests on a few occasions, usually relating to their characters.

Gave a pack of Tunes (the old packaging) to Richard Le Parmentier on two occasions. Both times he thought I wanted him to sign them.

Also gave a pack of Tunes to David Prowse at Collectormania 2, where he said that they would "help with [his] singing".

(Related to the Star Wars Tunes advert in 1996).

If I ever met Ernie Hudson, I'd give him a Twinkie.

• 2 months later...
3 hours ago, ChloeLou said:

A friend of mine is very good at drawing, so maybe she can teach me...

That might take a bit longer than 3 months though, especially if you were thinking of portraits. I draw cartoon characters very well and I am still learning after over 2 years.

20 hours ago, Queen_Sindel said:

That might take a bit longer than 3 months though, especially if you were thinking of portraits. I draw cartoon characters very well and I am still learning after over 2 years.

Oh, yes, that's a good point.  I didn't think of that.  Thank you for mentioning that.

• 1 month later...