Honest opinions of the event

chewer

I forgot to comment on the programme guide this year.... LOVED IT. Excellent information and for a fiver, I thought great detail on the guests as well. Well done to whoever was involved in putting that together.

I agree, I had a free one in my package, but my drink leaked in my bag and ruined it. So I happily bought a new one for a souvenir.

From my experience at other events and shops etc - "proper" staff doesn't guarantee they're nice to you either!

Personally on the whole I think our crew does a fantastic job at these events, and the feedback usually reflects this.

They do - as always, all the ones I had any contact with were fantastic

This might not be a popular comment, so please bear with me and read to the end before you reply...

One of the main issues I'm reading about seems to be down to the behaviour of other attendees. No, I'm probably not pointing the finger at you. It's the others.

The ones who don't believe the rules apply to them and are themselves the need for the crew to prevent photographs from afar when there are clearly signs up.

The ones who won't move out of the way to accomodate those with ticket numbers lower than theirs.

Hell, the ones who blatantly go out of their way to get what they want at the expense of other attendees experience.

I have to admit (as Photo B Queue Shouty Fella on Saturday) that the above were by far a minority and almost every attendee I dealt with was awesome. Y'all listened to requests and helped the weekend go smoothly - but how can we, as crew, help against those who will actively ignore us?

That's why sometimes the crew memeber who might not be used to dealing with conflict resolution (no fingers being pointed, imaginary crew member being created here) might bark what seem like orders out - when it seems like everyone is ignoring you, it's easier to shout than ask nicely. You get more results that way.

Not an excuse, just an observation.

The other thing is, how can Showmasters / Massive events have any say in the number of stalls which book their place? If stallholders (once again, no fingers being pointed) don't feel like attending, how can anyone make them? I see the point in mentioning this, but I see it as a non-point as it's under no-one's control.

Maybe there's potential for improvement for moving certain parts of the event around - but you have to admit... How impressive did the TNG bridge look when you first walked in? :)

As far as the queues for the sales desk goes - y'all know you can buy tickets through the eventbrite app on the day, right? No queueing needed for that.

Hopefully this doesn't come across as negative, I'm hoping to just present alternate viewpoints on some of the issues that keep getting raised :)

B.

The signs up behind the guests didn't refer to no photographs at all within the venue, the ones i read were just about no posed photos and no selfies or videoing at the desk. Nothing was mentioned about a blanket ban on taking all photos. Some guests were happy even at long range to have a photo taken, both Christopher lloyd and Will Wheaton put thumbs up and waved to my kids. It seemed only to be a problem from certain staff members, others took no notice and i had a couple of crew members actually move aside without being asked to so i could take a better photo.

The other thing is, how can Showmasters / Massive events have any say in the number of stalls which book their place? If stallholders (once again, no fingers being pointed) don't feel like attending, how can anyone make them? I see the point in mentioning this, but I see it as a non-point as it's under no-one's control..

Having a website that lists vendors, prints their description and location in a free programme guide probably wouldn't hurt. Other official events manage it.

I had a few gripes immediately after I came back. Thinking about it a bit more now though, I can forgive most of them.

I went mostly for talks, so I would still offer these three bits of feedback:

1, Please try to have the sound completely sorted for when the event starts.

It seemed to take half a day on the Voyager Stage for the technicians to get it to work properly.

2, Try to increase talk lengths for 45 mins to an hour. This is standard practice in the States, and this event only takes place every two years,

so every minute counts as far as I'm concerned.

3, Have rope cordons and signs up to separate lines. Having ropes at the Enterprise Stage would of saved a lot of hassle all round.

Thanks.

Edited by Four Lights