Saturday

MLP*

Few random thoughts on Saturday.

I've mentioned the queuing in another thread. It wasn't ideal but I've endured much worse at other shows. Seems to be one of those things you just have to put up with at cons.

I thought the convention area was a good size. Seemed larger than the one at the Excel, or maybe it's just that there were very few dealers stands this time !

I found the NEC easy to get to so I would definitely attend another event there.

One drawback was the food. Main options seemed to be Cornish pasties or Subway. I survived for a day but I wouldn't want to attempt a whole weekend eating that stuff.

The extraneous noise between panels wasn't too bad (although someone brought that bloody Klingon gong again !) but the sound at the back of the Enterprise stage was awful.

I had to leave and queue up again after George Takei's panel. This meant I was right at the back for the DS9 panel and could hardly hear anything the guests were saying.

Highlight of the day for me was the "two Daxes" panel. I am now a huge fan of Terry Farrell ! A guy at the end of the Q&A asked a frankly rather inappropriate question. Rather than be offended she used it as an opportunity to give an impassioned reply about how important the episode in question was in terms of diversity and equality. Big respect to her. :thumbup:

I had to leave the Shatners World talk at 8:50 to get my train. He didn't seem to be winding down at all so I wonder what time it finished in the end.

Edited by MLP*

Agree with everything you say (especially about how wonderful Terry Farrell is).

I was about half way down the Enterprise stage for the DS9 talk - I could hear okay (except for the banging coming from next door), and there were clearly technical issues as the mics kept dropping out.

Shatners finished around 9:20 and proved those chairs are not made for sitting for over 2 hours.

As you say the guy at the end of the Dax talk was terrible and Terry was magnificent with her answer but what were they thinking by giving him the mic again to re-ask the question. I did think most of the questions were really bad, just because it was 2 women almost every question was about kissing co-stars or which one they preferred to marry.

• Like 1

Overall I had a great time, got every auto and photo I wanted apart from I wasn't able to find Adam for a cheeky selfie. But a little constructive feedback for next year;

It seemed to me that priority passes were over sold for Commanders, on Saturday there were so many that normal auto VQ holders only had a chance if they got ticket 1-60 or so. I heard so many people complaining about not getting to the front of queues, but that's what happens when everybody is a priority! Normal basic entry people had a much better chance of getting what they wanted on Friday. I understand Showmasters wanting to milk thee events for all they can but seriously, you just frustrate both your high and low price ticket purchasers and this damages your brand need to make these events a great experience if they are to be sustainable and I heard a lot of people saying "never again"

Secondly the photo shoot queues overall were understaffed and poorly managed. In previous events I have seen tall poles with signs on top with the celeb names so people knew who the queue was for, and then lines for each batch number. That worked so well, but over the past couple of days it seemed that nobody knew what each queue was for and I saw loads of people queue for ages only to be told they are in the wrong place. Most of us only found out what was happening from each other. So next time please go back to the old way of managing things, put clear signs up where queues for so we all know what each queue is for an go back to giving people areas to wait in for their batch number. The staff were mostly lovely, a couple were grumpy but they were trying to help, they were just swamped.

If these things can be ironed out as they have been previously at other big Showmasters events then next DSTE could be a brilliant event.

• Like 1

Overall, I had a really good day.

I've already addressed the complaints about queues in the other thread too, which I didn't consider to be much of a problem and thought the crew did the best they could. My main complaint being the many attendees who just seemed to think it was okay to push through the crowds. However, I would just like to add that I completely agree with frogbmth's suggestions of larger/taller signposting of guest photoshoots and managing the batch numbers with individual queues each, that would have been very beneficial for all (crew and attendees).

Got a photoshoot with Alexander Siddig (love that guy), and a bridge photoshoot with Walter and George (being one of the last few in the line for Batch 5 I was told by the crew no greeting or shaking hands as they needed to move it along quickly - but George was the one that shook my hand, can't be helped I guess). Also got a D-bridge photo.

Only one autograph this year - Christopher Lloyd. Wasn't able to spend much time with him, but still came across really nice. So glad the stall selling the 10x8 photos had Back to the Future images. I love Star Trek of course, but his role in BTTF means so much more to me than his Search for Spock role.

The Wil Wheaton talk was really good and he had some interesting things to say and talk about. I love the Enterprise guys and their talk, even if Dominic could be little domineering, but they all just seem like the best of mates.

The Eaglemoss guy (didn't catch his name) that did the Unused Enterprises and Eaglemoss talk was really good, although I missed most of the 13:35 Eaglemoss talk for a photoshoot. And if he's reading, thank you for hosting the Al Worden talk, even if he didn't always answer your questions, but I've come to expect that from astronauts as they just have so many amazing stories to tell that they often lose sight of the original question. I bought three Eaglemoss ships (Delta Flyer, Botany Bay, and Romulan Bird of Prey). Maybe a little disappointed I couldn't pick up a Phoenix and DS9, but they're available online.

Thank you DSTE and to all the guests that could make it.

Happy 50th Birthday Star Trek!

I agree the queues were massive, I was stood in a queue for over 90 mins, which I thought was ridiculous. I believe paying to see guests on stage talking was a bit much considering you had to pay for Photoshoots and autographs with them as well, nevertheless, i did get a chance to listen to the master himself George on the Enterprise Stage, absolutely mesmerising and awesome.

One thing that did strike me was how many people asked if they could have a photograph with me as they said I looked a bit like Jean-Luc from TNG, a slight resemblance but not much, but hey the feeling was good.

Cannot wait till the next one. Happy 50th Anniversary Star Trek.