Quotes/Messages on Autographs

Dent_1

I've noticed on the forums we rarely see the things we get signed, no doubt in part because we all have the same signature(!) so know what they look like, but I always enjoy hearing about any unique messages people have managed to get along with their autographs. I don't mind flat signatures when that is the only option, but I have come to prefer personalisations over the years.

I am also grateful when a guest adds more without being asked, I think it shows a lot of effort on their part when you think they meet hundreds, if not thousands of people over a day or two.

All below added the following messages unprompted in addition to a personalisation:

Roger Moore: "All the best"

Kenny Baker: "R2-D2"

Robert Patrick: "J.D." (on an X-Files pic)

Veronica Cartwright: "Best always, Veronica Cartright. Lambert, 'Alien'"

John Hurt: "all best wishes"

Richard Kiel: "Hi! Jaws"

Mitch Pileggi: "Skinner"

Charles Dance: "Thanks"

Mark Rolston: "Pvt. Drake"

Malcolm McDowell: "Very Best"

Johh Rhys Davies: "Pushkin, K.G.B., 007"

Edward James Olmos: "So say we all. Adama"

Ian Whyte: "Very best wishes"

Shirley Eaton: "Best wishes, as Jill Masterson"

Honor Blackman: "Love spam Galore"

Colette Hiller: "Fly the friendly skies, Ferro"

Ray Park: "Feel the power of the darkside, Darth Maul"

Neve Campbell: "Best wishes!"

Michael Lonsdale: "as Drax"

Luciana Paluzzi; "All the best"

Similarly, the more conventions I have been to over the years the more adventurous I have been at asking guests for specific extras to accompany their signature. I particularly like to have favourite lines of dialogue specific to film image they are signing. These autos inevitably end up being some of the most memorable.

Honor Blackman (Goldfinger): "For a big fan of Pus*y, love Honor Blackman"

Lance Henriksen (Alien3) - "Trust me"

Paul McGann (Withnail and I): "A coward you are, an expert on bulls you are not!"

Samantha Bond (James Bond): "You always were a cunning linguist!" and on another "Moneypenny"

William B. Davis (X-Files): "I can kill you whenever I please. But not today. CSM"

Ralph Brown (Alien3): "85"

Al Matthews (Aliens): "Sgt. Apone, Look into my eye"

Michael Madsen (Kill Bill): "Wakey wakey, eggs + bakey!"

Carrie Fisher (ESB): "Love to ____, See you later - usual place"

Karl Urban (Dredd): "I am the Law!"

Alice Krige (First Contact): "I am the beginning, the end, the one who is many. I am the Borg"

Roger Moore (The Man With The Golden Gun): "Speak now or forever hold your piece!"

Roger Moore (The Spy Who Loved Me): "Nobody does it better"

Roger Moore (A View To A Kill): "I'm an early riser myself!"

Steven Williams (X-Files): They only have one policy: deny everything. X"

Carrie Henn (Aliens): "They mostly come out at night... mostly. Newt"

Bill Paxton (Aliens): "Game over man!"

Jonathan Pryce (Tomorrow Never Dies): "The difference between insanity and genius is measured only by success. Elliot Carver"

Danny Webb (Alien3): "All we got here is sh*t"

Jenette Goldstein (Aliens): "Lets rock!"

Nick Frost (Hot Fuzz): "Yeah mutha*****"

Would be curious to hear if others managed some good ones!

Edited by Dent_1

I don't usually ask for quotes, mainly due to space on multi signed posted but the few i do have have resulted from joking with the guest and I let them have free reign over what the want to write.

Nathan Fillion wrote "wheres the Hammer?" of his Captain Hammer picture

David Hewlett on signing a Stargate poster wanted to draw over RDA and whilst I said he could he didn't but the poster has a small Earth on it and he drew and arrow to it and wrote 'McKay lives here'

• Like 1

On my "Aliens" poster I've asked (had added by) for the following quotes from the actors:

"They mostly come out at night...mostly" (Carrie Henn, snap!)

"We're in the pipe 5 x 5" (Collette Hiller)

"Game over man!" (Bill Paxton)

"I like to keep this handy for close encounters" (Michael Beihn)

"Let's rock" (Jenette Goldstein)

"They ain't paying us enough for this s***" (Mark Rolston)

"What's this c*** supposed to be?" (Daniel Kash)

"What's he expect us to use man...harsh language?" (Ricco Ross)

At my first convention I didn't have anything to put my photo in, so it got a little crumpled. I was trying to flatten it out on the table whilst David Hewlett was signing the person's in front of me. He looked up and I apologized. He wrote on it "Buy a briefcase!" :)

At Sherlocked last year Andrew Scott wrote me 'For Iris, with big love, see you soon'. At another convention he drew himself and me, and signed that, which I thought counted as my autograph, then as I'm walking away he says "Don't you get photo as well?" So I say "No? You just did the drawing for me?", as reply he mumbled "You're getting one anyway." and then wrote 'this is a better likeness ->' point towards his face on the photo. Both pretty lovely messages!

Can I ask an autograph-related question here? Because I don't want/dare to start a new topic, but I don't want to hijack this topic either with my question.. (Assuming it's alright:) What are you guys' opinions about getting multiple autographs from one person? Not 5 autographs in one go, but one autograph every time you meet that same celebrity(for personal use, not to sell or give away)?

• Moderators

At Sherlocked last year Andrew Scott wrote me 'For Iris, with big love, see you soon'. At another convention he drew himself and me, and signed that, which I thought counted as my autograph, then as I'm walking away he says "Don't you get photo as well?" So I say "No? You just did the drawing for me?", as reply he mumbled "You're getting one anyway." and then wrote 'this is a better likeness ->' point towards his face on the photo. Both pretty lovely messages!

Can I ask an autograph-related question here? Because I don't want/dare to start a new topic, but I don't want to hijack this topic either with my question.. (Assuming it's alright:) What are you guys' opinions about getting multiple autographs from one person? Not 5 autographs in one go, but one autograph every time you meet that same celebrity(for personal use, not to sell or give away)?

A lot of people get multiple autographs so this is fairly normal, for example I've got John Hurt on three different 8x10 pics and a poster. At LFCC this year I'm getting Dominic Monaghan on about 6 items

I've done both. There's nothing wrong with meeting a guest multiple times and getting stuff signed. I've managed to get Benedict Cumberbatch 4 times so far and if he's ever at an event again I'll definitely try and get it again. Some of the Stargate crew I've seen multiple times especially at conventions where an auto is included in the ticket price I've ended up getting comics and trading cards signed as I can only have so many pictures.

At Sherlocked I got multiple items signed by each guest but none of it is to sell.

I've done both. There's nothing wrong with meeting a guest multiple times and getting stuff signed. I've managed to get Benedict Cumberbatch 4 times so far and if he's ever at an event again I'll definitely try and get it again. Some of the Stargate crew I've seen multiple times especially at conventions where an auto is included in the ticket price I've ended up getting comics and trading cards signed as I can only have so many pictures.

At Sherlocked I got multiple items signed by each guest but none of it is to sell.

Yes. The amount of times I met certain Stargate guests over the years... :lol:

• Like 1

This subject just came up for me and my friend the other day. 90 % of my autographs are personalized and 2/3 of them with standard quotes like "best wishes" and "lots of love". But sometimes I was lucky to get a rare quote as well especially on pictures taken with the guest.

Some guests I met quite a lot over the years and I always go to get their autographs (and for private use only as well).

Quotes/messages I have got on my signed photos -

Warwick Davis x2 - "Don't you know who I am?" and on the other one - "Hey it's me!"

Lee Majors - Colt

Roger Lloyd Pack - Trigger

Hannah Spearritt - All my love

Juliet Landau - Drusilla

Sally Geeson - With love

Rey Mystetio - 619

Sheamus - Fella

Dvon Dudley - Testify 3D

Lita - I asked her to sign both Lita and Amy Dumas on the same photo which she did and also added HOF 2014

Kurt Angle - It's True! Gold 1996

Edited by Tony1975

I usually just meet guests the once and that is it I have never really had the need to meet them more than that although having said that there has been the odd occasion where I have met guests more than once

I have also had some nice personalisations on autographs nothing too out of the ordinary but there has been some nice ones and it is always a nice touch when they personalise when you don't expect them too (write more than just your name), personalisations don't really matter to me though if the guest wants to personalise then I usually just let them if not its no biggie. Some guests that have put more than just my name include Peter Dinklage, Andrew Scott, Victoria Atkin and a few others..

I went to a Showmasters event some years ago when the actors behind Dobby and Gollum were in attendance.

I had a beautiful spoof film photo of Dobby vs Gollum in the guise of Freddy vs Jason.

Toby Jones signed it adding the line "Be kind to me Mr Gollum Sir."

Andy Serkis signed it adding the line "F**k you Dobby"

• Like 4

Thanks for the answers, guys! I had some anxiety because a friend of a friend thinks it's 'not done' to get more than one autograph by the same celebrity and I had a discussion about that with her and it actually made me feel s***ty because I have a lot of things signed by my favorite actor. I just thought I'd ask around here to calm my anxiety down, thanks everyone!

-end of hijack-

Thanks for the answers, guys! I had some anxiety because a friend of a friend thinks it's 'not done' to get more than one autograph by the same celebrity and I had a discussion about that with her and it actually made me feel s***ty because I have a lot of things signed by my favorite actor. I just thought I'd ask around here to calm my anxiety down, thanks everyone!

-end of hijack-

Pffff ignore your friend! You're paying like everyone else so it's not like your taking someone else's place or anything. As long as it's not stalkery type of getting them at different events then there's nothing wrong with it at all. My family would say to me 'why do you want it again, surely one is enough' but when your favourite actors have been in multiple films sometimes it's nice to get them to sign stuff from throughout their career, particularly if you can get them signed by other casts members as well.

I plan to get BC to sign my cast signed Sherlock picture, my Doctor Strange poster (which I'm getting Mads on at LFCC), The Hobbit and a couple of other Sherlock items if I ever get the opportunity.

-end of hijack-

Pffff ignore your friend! You're paying like everyone else so it's not like your taking someone else's place or anything. As long as it's not stalkery type of getting them at different events then there's nothing wrong with it at all. My family would say to me 'why do you want it again, surely one is enough' but when your favourite actors have been in multiple films sometimes it's nice to get them to sign stuff from throughout their career, particularly if you can get them signed by other casts members as well.

I plan to get BC to sign my cast signed Sherlock picture, my Doctor Strange poster (which I'm getting Mads on at LFCC), The Hobbit and a couple of other Sherlock items if I ever get the opportunity.

Ahaha, whoops! I've actually only seen him at a convention twice. The thing with Andrew is that you don't have to pay for anything because he does enough outside of the convention world, and I like supporting him. But yeah, whoops. 😂

Good luck the the Benedict signatures!

• Like 1

I've never asked for any but I have a few:

Jeremy Bulloch (aka Boba Fett) on a Boba Fett photo (also have David Prowse signed on it)

Sean Pertwee on my Dog Soldiers DVD

Michael Palin on my Life of Brian DVD

Bruce Campbell on my Congo DVD

I have Dave Prowse and Jeremy Bulloch on my star wars blu rays and this year im getting pictures from last year signed.

I usually let the guests write what they like, and have it personalised if they ask.

When I met Trev & Simon, Trev asked me if I wanted him to write anything, and I asked for "Swing your pants".

Since then, I have asked a few guests to write something:

Bubba Ray Dudley: "Get the tables"

Kristian Nairn: "Hodor"

Hannah Waddingham: "Shame!"

• Like 1