Latest Guest Announcement - JONATHAN FRAKES

• Showmasters Admin

Latest Guest Announcement - Jonathan Frakes

Attending: Friday, Saturday & Sunday

w-riker.jpg

Like many other Star Trek actors, Jonathan Frakes developed his acting chops onstage in New York City, where he appeared in Eugene O'Neill's The Hairy Ape and Shenandoah. Soap opera roles and bit parts in assorted television series followed. In 1987 he was cast as Commander Will Riker in Star Trek: The Next Generation, the highly publicized successor to the original Star Trek.

Both the series and his character were extremely well received by the viewing public, but Frakes opted not to rest on his acting laurels. By taking advantage of an informal “director in training” program that came into existence during executive producer Rick Berman’s management of the Star Trek franchise, Frakes received invaluable insight into the nuts and bolts of crafting a television episode. He would go on to direct episodes in three of the Star Trek series: TNG, Star Trek: Deep Space Nine and Star Trek: Voyager. He also directed two of the TNG films: Star Trek: First Contact and Star Trek: Insurrection.

Post-Star Trek, Frakes has become a much-in-demand television director, helming episodes of such series as Roswell, Leverage, Dollhouse, Castle, NCIS: Los Angeles, V and two of the made-for-TV movies in The Librarian series. Frakes has been married to soap opera actress Genie Francis since 1988. They live in Maine with their son, Jameson Ivor, and daughter, Elizabeth Francis.

Profile courtesy of StarTrek.com

If there has to be a cancellation (of any guest), not that I want to jinx it, please try to ensure that any replacement guest you arrange, that he/she can cover ALL of that cancelled guest's photo shoots.

I had a bad experience last time at DST3 due to Mr. Frakes cancellation and Mr. Colm Meany only covering for Mr. Frakes on the Saturday and Sunday. I'd organised my photoshoot schedule to include a Friday photoshoot which was NOT automatically allocated to another day or even an alternate choice of day being offered prior to my arriving at the event such as was arranged for the Saturday and Sunday photoshoots.

Even though I managed to have my issues resolved, I'd hate for this to happen again to any attendee.

I must also stress that I did enjoy DST3.

Edited by ozycomms
  • Like 1

that any replacement guest you arrange

I have seen many comments about replacement guests and the reply ahs always been that if another guest is booked then it is never a replacement but simply another guest. All contracts will be unique to that guest, so being able to guarantee that any additional guest who is booked after someone is booked does not always mean they will mirror that person's original agreement. Hopefully your point is moot and not one to be dealt with.

that any replacement guest you arrange

I have seen many comments about replacement guests and the reply ahs always been that if another guest is booked then it is never a replacement but simply another guest. All contracts will be unique to that guest, so being able to guarantee that any additional guest who is booked after someone is booked does not always mean they will mirror that person's original agreement. Hopefully your point is moot and not one to be dealt with.

I just wanted to make the point that there seemed to be nothing considered for Friday photoshoots where the attendees were around all weekend. As it turned out, I'd never met Mr. Meaney and for me was a great replacement.

His guest talk was great.

I agree with your sentiments too and I hope that my point is moot too. :D

• Like 1

I just wanted to make the point that there seemed to be nothing considered for Friday photoshoots where the attendees were around all weekend. As it turned out, I'd never met Mr. Meaney and for me was a great replacement.

I am sure there would have been something considered as there would have been a gap in the schedule where JF was originally booked in.

I see censorship is still happening here - my inoffensive post got deleted. Very sad that someone can handle a little light hearted banter from a customer who has attended all 3 DST events so far.

Not censorship as such. But guests and agents do visit these forums to see what is being said. Light hearted banter could be seen a different way, especially what was posted.

• Moderators

I see censorship is still happening here - my inoffensive post got deleted. Very sad that someone can handle a little light hearted banter from a customer who has attended all 3 DST events so far.

Nothing gets deleted here, just hidden from public view, the mods have guideline f what we can and can't have on here and whilst I do appreciate it as light hearted banter others may not and as Chappie has mentioned we have had many occasions where guests or their representatives have come on the forum and seen comments that don't reflect very well. I myself have been disappointed numerous times by the issues raised in this thread so i do sympathise and understand the frustration.

• Moderators

Fair enough. I thought my comments would be okay given that nearly every other post in this thread said something similar (okay perhaps not quite so sarcastically.)

Believe me when I say that we don't like hiding posts and in this case and generally, it was purely to air on the side of caution for the reasons I mentioned above, it is not done intentionally to cause offence.

• Like 1

• 6 months later...

Hearing a horrible rumour on Facebook from someone attending Las Vegas Con reporting Robert Duncan McNeill has just offered Mr Frakes a directing job 'starting in a couple of months'.

Hoping for both of them that it won't clash with this event and starts anytime after the 10th, both very much on my wishlist!

I'd be really upset with Mr McNeill if he has scheduled Mr Frakes' directorial assignment to interfere with DST Europe given that Mr Frakes cancelled his appearance at the previous event, DST3 in 2014

I'd also be especially upset if Mr. Frakes, knowing that he'd cancelled in 2014, couldn't arrange to avoid cancelling this time too.

Edited by ozycomms

It's fine to be upset ozycomms but you do realise the world doesn't schedule itself around Star Trek conventions? Whilst it's really sad for fans when a guest keeps cancelling they aren't going to demand the network hold on for them whilst they pop over to do an event in England. Nor would the network do so if they asked.

Showmasters will talk t him and see if there is a workaround.

I do realise that the world doesn't schedule itself around Star Trek conventions.

If Mr. Frakes cancels for a second time, he should not be given a third chance.

He obviously has a diary and can say he is not available and the conflict will not occur.

I beleive that it is very unprofessional of him to repeatedly cancel convention appearances as I am under the impression that he has a habit of doing.

These are not small events inconveniencing a small number of people, but this is a major event, and a special one at that, affecting thousands.

This I beleive is what makes the difference.

Destination Star Trek should not approach him again.

I'd accept it more easily if he'd had to cancel for personal reasons such as a wedding or a bereavement.