Gold Pass holders - did you find it worth it?

I'm curious. I've been going to Showmasters events for a good few years now, queuing early and hoping (and usually managing) to meet who I want to. LFCC this year was a completely different game. Failed to meet pretty much everyone I wanted to meet, despite arriving about two hours before opening time on Saturday. I know I made it hard on myself by only going on the Saturday this year but still.

I am now really considering that Gold Passes might be a good idea in the future and I'm curious to get some opinions from people who've had them either this weekend or in the past. :)

I'm only going to answer briefly, but I had Comic Gold last year and a Gold this year and I can honestly say that there is no way I could have gotten everything I wanted done without them. The complaints I had last year were pretty much sorted this year, so I'm happy.

First time at LFCC for me and my husband and first gold passes. It would have been impossible to do my schedule without it. 15 photoshoots Fri 1pm - 8pm, 8 photoshoots Sat 9am - 1pm, 7 photoshoots plus four autos Sun 9am - 4pm. Really late in of Friday after waiting for two hours 1.20pm, no early entry for golds. Sat and Sun in at 8.45, spot on. Would not even think of doing this again without a gold pass. Goody bag was absolute rubbish, left over promo items from olde movie releases. Auto vouchers were hard to use as not many £10 guests. Photo vouchers were better as you could pay more to upgrade on them. Chill room was great for a sit down and cool off, free warm water and some well handled sweets! Could have done with cold water and a maybe a protein bar. Staff in gold room could have done with up to speed on changes, maps etc and a handle on the layout as they were being asked all of this loads and didn't know the answer.

Last year: Definatly

This year: No, it felt l could have done everything without a gold pass if everything was properly organised and would have gone according to what was told for months on the forum already. Gold didn't make me feel special this year, it just made me feel like the one that could avoid most of the mess that others without a gold pass found themselves in. Also, none of the guests l wanted were diamond pass guests and l was happy about it, the horror l witnessed at those queues were terrible... I had fun, don't get me wrong, but that was thanks to some, not all, of the crew, the guests and most of all the fellow Congoers, they were amazing! But the organisation, layout and most of all queue management was awful.

Next year, IF l come again, l will definatly wait with buying a gold pass until l'm certain it's worth it, unlike this year when l bought it the moment they became available.

Never got to use me and my wife's useless 40 pounds in autograph vouchers...only interesting 10 pound guest for me was Gemma Wealan and she was locked up on level three, the level from hell as far as getting to and out again is concerned....so that was 40 pounds wasted, thanks for that btw...

Edited by Vhiper

Definately worth it for photos but nowt else. The gold pass room was awful. Grey walls and steel chairs to sit on with Marshmellows being the only snacks available. The free water was good too. Overall not really worth it but excellent fld photos

Never had one myself. I arrived at around 7.30 on Saturday and got everything I wanted done. Auto from Bill Paxton Chris Lloyd, Carrie Henn and everyone from GoT. Also got a MJF shoot, Paxton shoot, Sigorney Weaver shoot, Richard Dean Anderson. So I have never felt the need to buy one. Also I arrived at 8.00 on Sunday and got all 8 autos I wanted. All I can say is I always get everything done. It's just planning and punctuality

Definately worth it for photos but nowt else. The gold pass room was awful. Grey walls and steel chairs to sit on with Marshmellows being the only snacks available. The free water was good too. Overall not really worth it but excellent fld photos

At least this year it actually had chairs! I like using the room as a quick place just to get away from the crowds. I don't care what it looks like, it's just nice to have a quick rest.

First time at LFCC for me and my husband and first gold passes. It would have been impossible to do my schedule without it. 15 photoshoots Fri 1pm - 8pm, 8 photoshoots Sat 9am - 1pm, 7 photoshoots plus four autos Sun 9am - 4pm. Really late in of Friday after waiting for two hours 1.20pm, no early entry for golds. Sat and Sun in at 8.45, spot on. Would not even think of doing this again without a gold pass. Goody bag was absolute rubbish, left over promo items from olde movie releases. Auto vouchers were hard to use as not many £10 guests. Photo vouchers were better as you could pay more to upgrade on them. Chill room was great for a sit down and cool off, free warm water and some well handled sweets! Could have done with cold water and a maybe a protein bar. Staff in gold room could have done with up to speed on changes, maps etc and a handle on the layout as they were being asked all of this loads and didn't know the answer.

I found out you could use your vouchers for 20£ guest and even more. I saw a guy use his and add 15£ for neve campbell(she was 35£)

I left mine at home, if had known that i would have done the same thing.

I only got 12 photos but i wouldn't of dreamed doing half of them without a gold pass. The areas around the shoots are solid blocked with people waiting for their batch to be called and you couldn't even get close enough to see what was going. It was only the second day i noticed the Crew actually calling for Gold Passes so that was an improvement. I think it was worth it just for this cause id rather pay to avoid any hassle as its stressfull enough without having the mess about. I didnt think the gold pass facilities were great but they were certainly better than nothing

This was my first event with a gold pass.

It was helpful for getting priority at photoshoots.

It was helpful for being able to join auto queues without needing a VQT for about 4 guests.

The 2x £10 photo vouchers were good, especially as they could be used for a more expensive guest.

However.

I didn't use the gold pass room at all across the 3 days).

The pack consisted of a fan, a bottle opener and a magnet, all relating to films a couple of years old.

It didn't save me not arriving early to queue outside (one of the main selling points) because I had to anyway to get a VQT for Michael Gambon.

There were simply too many people with a gold pass. When they called gold passes for photoshoots, a large crowd would rush forward at once so there was still a long queue.

It would be better if the 2 £10 auto vouchers could be used for any guest regardless of price.

To expand on that.

If I was given a £10 voucher and told it could be used for someone more expensive, I might choose to meet a guest I wasn't going to meet or get an extra auto I wasn't going to get. If that guest charged £15 then SM would be gaining £5 they wouldn't make if the vouchers didn't allow this (saying in this situation that I wouldn't be meeting the guest/getting an extra auto if I didn't have the vouchers because of the cost).

If, for example, I couldn't justify £45 for a guest's auto but had 2 £10 vouchers, I might feel £25 would be more reasonable and i'd be willing to pay it. So SM would make an additional £25 that they wouldn't have if the vouchers were limited to £10 guests.

Yes, worth it for me too. Despite the shambolic entry on Friday, it was great the rest of the weekend. I got all my autos and photos with no real queueing - got a low VQ for Bill Paxton and got him whilst he was still personalising, and on the weekend days I turned up at 8:45am and walked straight in. The gold pass room did it's job - a place to just sit and chill for a while (certainly the only place to sit quietly without being trodden on!) and it was nice to chat to some other people in there. I used all my vouchers - the photo ones on 4 prop shoots and the auto ones on a £10 Saturday and Sunday guest so no problems there. Whilst the goody bag can hardly be called that, I actually found the fan quite useful and as I liked both Wolverine and Book of Life, liked the bottle opener and mini picture frames too. Would have been nice if they'd thrown a free programme in there to make it actually useful.

I wouldn't dream of attending LFCC without a gold pass - but that's because I don't like getting up early and I don't much care for queueing. It all depends why you feel you need one!

The pack consisted of a fan, a bottle opener and a magnet, all relating to films a couple of years old.

What!? I got a Gone Girl Keyring, How to Train your Dragon 2 Ice Cube Mould and a book of life magnetic frame!!!!!

• Like 1

I didn't have a Gold Pass and was very lucky with the schedule this year with the amount I managed to fit in.

It helped that the Star Wars guests were in their own room on level 3 today.

Saying that I am contemplating having a Gold Pass next year (if I am not working) just to ease the burden of the amount of time spent in the queues

or waiting for your Batch number to be called.

What!? I got a Gone Girl Keyring, How to Train your Dragon 2 Ice Cube Mould and a book of life magnetic frame!!!!!

Same here. The photo vouchers were worthwhile as I could use them against higher priced photo shoots, in my case the BIll Paxton photoshoot, but it was just a shame the same couldn't have been applicable to the signature vouchers. The guest room was OK - it was cool, away from the crowds, provided free water and allowed for moments of calm.

As for the gold pass itself, this was only my 2nd ever con & the 1st time I got one. It got me in without queueing, it gave me peace of mind knowing I'd get what I bought and I didn't have to stay standing in a queue for too long or be part of the dense crowds that would be gather around for the more popular guests. It was especially useful for the Back to the Future Cast talk.

Personally, I felt it was invaluable & I'll definitely be getting gold passes again

It was a Water for Elphants fan, a Wolverine movie bottle opener and a book of life magnet

For me yes. I have a bad back which is made worse by long periods of standing so for me a gold pass is a must as although I still have to queue it's not as long as if I had a standard ticket. howver the goody bag part is not worth it. I didn't mind the vouchers as there were two £10 autos I wanted and I put my photo ones towards Sigourney. Going forward I think they should become money off rather than just for specifically £10 guests as I would prefer to out towards a more expensive guest.

That's a lot better than normal. They haven't had chairs the last few years. There were crisps on Friday too.

This was my first event with a gold pass.

It was helpful for getting priority at photoshoots.

It was helpful for being able to join auto queues without needing a VQT for about 4 guests.

The 2x £10 photo vouchers were good, especially as they could be used for a more expensive guest.

However.

I didn't use the gold pass room at all across the 3 days).

It didn't save me not arriving early to queue outside (one of the main selling points) because I had to anyway to get a VQT for Michael Gambon.

There were simply too many people with a gold pass. When they called gold passes for photoshoots, a large crowd would rush forward at once so there was still a long queue.

It would be better if the 2 £10 auto vouchers could be used for any guest regardless of price.

To expand on that.

If I was given a £10 voucher and told it could be used for someone more expensive, I might choose to meet a guest I wasn't going to meet or get an extra auto I wasn't going to get. If that guest charged £15 then SM would be gaining £5 they wouldn't make if the vouchers didn't allow this (saying in this situation that I wouldn't be meeting the guest/getting an extra auto if I didn't have the vouchers because of the cost).

If, for example, I couldn't justify £45 for a guest's auto but had 2 £10 vouchers, I might feel £25 would be more reasonable and i'd be willing to pay it. So SM would make an additional £25 that they wouldn't have if the vouchers were limited to £10 guests.

You could use them for more expensive guests.

I did 11 photoshoots (2 of which being MJF and Christopher Lloyd) over the 3 days without a Gold Pass without too many hitches; a few reschedules and swapping to afternoon slots only. Not sure if I'm lucky or this is a similar story across the board though!