C Thomas Howell Price

I don't disagree with you, but if people are clearly getting photos at the table with multiple crew members okaying it, and the guest is posing and saying he's/she is ok to do photos, AND there are no signs up saying 'no posed pics' - everyone I spoke to who went near C. Thomas Howell said there wasn't, either with him or the guests along his line, - then I don't think it's unreasonable to expect a photo at the table.

The blatant attempt to force people towards the paid shoots, and the autograph price increase discussed here, can hardly be all down to coincidence. I should add "IMHO."

CT had a sign on his table saying no posed pics.

Was that the guy who insisted on a refund on his auto as he couldn't get a pic too? He was starting to get aggressive with a crew member and I was about to step in when he grabbed his pic and left.

Ah yep, that was him. From what I heard he wanted the refund so he could go and get a photoshoot with him. Then he came back whilst the Guest was with another attendee swooped in, grabbed a 10x8 off his desk and then went off. Said crew member was visibly shaken when I spoke to her afterwards. :(

IMO this guy should have been immediately removed from the building.

• Like 3

Was that the guy who insisted on a refund on his auto as he couldn't get a pic too? He was starting to get aggressive with a crew member and I was about to step in when he grabbed his pic and left.

Ah yep, that was him. From what I heard he wanted the refund so he could go and get a photoshoot with him. Then he came back whilst the Guest was with another attendee swooped in, grabbed a 10x8 off his desk and then went off. Said crew member was visibly shaken when I spoke to her afterwards. :(

IMO this guy should have been immediately removed from the building.

True, but the crew member handled the situation very well to the point the already volatile situation didn't go that one bit further i.e. assault. Really hope she's ok now.

• Like 1

You can't blame him for this. It makes me wonder whether showmasters hires them on a flat fee or whether they do indeed get a percentage of their sales. Wasn't it Michael Madsen who when he first set up was trying to charge the laughable amount of £50 per auto?

No posed photo sign is up for a reason and should be kept to.

I also think that photos over the desk should be stopped altogether for the busiest stars or give them five pounds to their favourite charity.

My only question regarding C Thomas Howells is the autograph. I met him on Saturday and paid £20 yet others only paid £15.

I defiantly paid £15 for C Thomas Howell's early on Saturday as that was what i budgeted for , I remember there being some confusion at the summer one with George Romero's pricing at first but that got sorted quite quickly , as for over the table photo's i dont generally ask as i usually look terrible in them and only got one this time, the guy in front of me for C Thomas Howell asked for a photo but was told sorry he wasn't allowed to pose but was more than happy to have one taken of him alone .

When I met him he also signed (for free) a 26 year old copy of my The Outsiders book after he had already signed my picture - to me this makes me think it's more likely to be his reps that have put the price up than he did. I didn't request another auto he heard my story about my book and offered to sign it also for me and when I looked unsure (as well as the crew member to be fair!) he just took it and signed it! He was such a lovely man and I'm just thrilled I was able to meet him & Ralph as I have loved that movie for a long time :-)

• Like 5

I always check the back board where the guest is to see if there's a "no posed photos" sign, if there isn't, I'll look at what other people at the table are doing, eg asking the guest if it's ok for a photo, if they do, then I will, like with Colin this weekend. I didn't expect to get one when I arrived at the venue, so it was a nice bonus. If they had said no, then fair enough because you can always buy a photoshoot ticket.

But either way, there should be a sign indicating, and should be stuck to by all involved; guests, crew and attendees.

thanks KingRichard I'm fine,

In all honesty the guest had just that moment said no more photos so I had not had time to get a No Posed Photo sign

but as soon as I was able the sign went on the desk :-)

Sharon xx

I'm very glad to hear this, you thought fast and acted accordingly to that situation which you handled in a cool and calm manner and I thought that was very noble of you :)

Hope that the rest of your day/weekend went a lot more smoother.

P.S. I hear there's an opening for a new Superhero :)

• Showmasters Admin

Hi all

So you want the truth ?

There is a old saying if we told you the truth could you handle the truth ?

well i am not going to tell you the truth and this is why

Lets take this away from this guest and lets think of no guest in particular at all and i then can be frank with you :-) ok.

1 If we tell you what a guest says to us in private future guests and the guest in question may not trust us and they may not ever come back .

2 If they tell us something in private like they have bad eyes and they do not want photos take then we have to enforce this without telling you .

3 if they are just greedy and want you to buy a photo we cannot say that to you either as again they will not want to come back as some of you may say something to their face ?

4 Some guests do not like photos over the table as without lighting. they can look older or not as nice as good lighting so they hate to see images of themselves with out pro lighting so never allow us to allow photos at the table , but again they will not let us say this and we are the ones to enforce this with you .

5 you may not be aware that some guests have a thing called a "Rider". this is an agreement where we all have to do what is agreed beforehand. in some riders it says that a guest will be protected for all liabilities and sometimes it will say that no photography is to be allowed at all or at the table or maybe it will say all photo ops have to have a make up artist available for the guest before any photo ops are to be taken. so there is a lot behind the sense that you just do not see.

6 one thing you can guarantee is no guest will say to your face NO I DO Not WANT A PHOTO WITH YOU , its a very hard thing to say to someone even if you do not want it to happen and also it makes them look bad for not granting everything a fan may ask of them so they just do not want to say no to your face. as such they ask us and sometimes tell us they will only come if we look after enforcing this.

7 all guests are paid in some way for their time and effort and the work they do for us at the shows sometimes its linked to the amount of autographs or photo ops they do over a weekend. this is like any other business. i am not saying in any way that these guests do not want to be there in any way. they all do as it is a lot of work meeting up to 500 people a day and saying hi so they are there to meet you , but as in everything in life when you work you get paid and as such we have to cover the costs of flights and fees and sometimes this is linked to the amount or to the price autographs or photo ops are charged at. we agree these beforehand and its something we push very hard with the guest and the agents to keep low for you all. i know we do a great job of this for you all you only have to look at some US events to see the difference between us and the US shows on pricing for photo ops and autographs. we do this even when we have International flights in the mix also so i think we do get you all a good deal, so we get this agreed in advance and promote this costs for you to see.

8 some guest change their mind on the day ? its true and nothing really can be done about this. now sometimes its just a misunderstanding between the guest or the agent or us it does happen , but we are quite good at guessing this right so we do not often get it wrong. we also do not need threads like this on our forums so we work very hard to get it 100% right every time , so its not in our interest to change thing in any way. the price is the price if it was just down to us but its not just down to us and when a agent or guest insists we sometimes cannot do anything other than change a price. one thing you will not see is us telling you why as if it is down to a guest we cannot say it as the guest would again look bad so we just take it on the chin

9 a guest has to have the right to refuse a member of the public a photo with them. they are people also and some people maybe come over a little odd or rude as sometimes happens so thats what the show masters crew is there for to help facilitate the guests needs over the weekend .

10 This is my last point i can prove what i am saying is true 100%. Showmasters run the shows if we wanted to we could stop all photos at the table as policy. WE DO NOT DO THIS. why not? well we think its nice to get some proof that you got your autograph live by having photos of you getting it on the day at our events. we do this on perps and we work hard to keep this for you with as many guests as we can and we also put our show branding behind the guests to help us promote the shows and to prove the image was taken at our event as proof for you to say thats where you got the autograph from. we are 100% behind you being able to get free proof photos with the guests but its not all down to us. but we fight hard for you all to keep this at all the shows we are in charge of.

So there is the truth i cannot tell you anymore than this.

Some guests are very very cool and they have agents that are very very tough for them because they are so cool :-)

Some guests are there to say think you and give something back to the fans which is very cool when we get to see that .

Some guests need to earn a living as they were at one time in there career very well know but since then have not worked that much and these events really helps them get by and make the income then need.

Some guests are red hot at there fees are high as they help to make the event be busy and well attended. so their agents are there to get what they should get so its a full on business agreement for them to attend and that is big money to make it happen. sometimes its only Showmasters that has the money and the respect with the big agencys to make this happen.

so there you have it i hope that is of help and shows we do have all your backs and we do our very best to give you a good strong line up second to none other events in the world at a fare price

thanks for reading

Jason

• Like 5

Thanks for your post Jason. I will just end by saying that guest prices are for the most part reasonable at Showmasters events and I'm grateful for this. What I don't like is guests changing their mind DURING the show. It's just wrong, and it's not fair that some attendees are paying more than others for the same product.

• Like 7

Those complaining all still stumped up the extra fiver to meet him. If you were that miffed, why didn't you vote with your wallets and not meet him? Don't give SM to authority they need in order to do this again in the future

Not that I should have to justify myself to you but I had a multi-signed item that needed his auto. As a first time signer here I couldn't risk him not coming back. If I didn't have that (and the same goes for Trucco and my BSG cast print who was no posed desk photos) I wouldn't have bothered and saved myself some money. It's not all black and white you know.

• Like 5

Thanks for your post Jason. I will just end by saying that guest prices are for the most part reasonable at Showmasters events and I'm grateful for this. What I don't like is guests changing their mind DURING the show. It's just wrong, and it's not fair that some attendees are paying more than others for the same product.

^^ This

If the price has to be upped then do it before the show starts not during. If everyone had paid £20 from the start then I don't think there'd be much of an ill feeling or made a big of an issue of it. Increasing the price during was a dick move and that's what rattles cages, hopefully it can be avoided from happening again at future events.

• Like 8

I've seen it before (elsewhere) when paying the guest direct. But surely just from an operational point of view it muddles things for the organiser. If the guest takes x% of the autograph money then they'd have to know how many were £15, how many were £20. so everyone gets the right share. If on the otherhand he had a set fee for attending, where would all those £5ers go?

Edited by TerraHawk

Thanks for the overview but it's the fact price changed DURING the show is what has got people miffed. I was getting his autograph for a mate who couldn't attend and already given me the money so I felt it best get the signature regardless as an above post states you never know if the guest will return.

• Like 4

After the summer event if all people are moaning about is a guy wanting an extra 5 quid of people is take that as a result showmasters

That's ok then is it? What if you'd budgeted very carefully for the advertised amount, as many did, seen that other people had paid that price and when you went up it had changed, would you be happy? I suspect not.

• Like 1

If you have an issue with administrative decisions please contact the office directly. The forum is not the place to question these decisions. The person the last couple of posts have been asking about has already been provided an explanation. That's all I can say on here.