Limit of items to be signed

aseefsid

Firstly and most importantly, I thought the organisation, hospitality and availability of all staff on duty was excellent.

I do empathise with the comments made though. I was in the queue when the person with multiple items was present and

directly behind the man with the tablet (he was asking Al Bean to talk to his family in New Zealand on skype). I guess that was pushing

things too far, seeing as they hadn't paid an entry fee!

As for the item signing, it is a real dilemma for the organisers. Dealers do hold things up, which I am not so happy with, but on the flip side the revenue they generate hepls make the whole event more viable and secure for the future.

On personal level, I did make it to Alan after a 40 minute wait. As he signed my photo item, I asked him to briefly tell me what he was doing in the photo. I was shocked when the member of staff at his table interjected and said we don't have time for any questions. Having paid £65 for the priviage I thought this was most unfair, particularly as Alan had been abruptly stopped in his lecture to avoid overunning.

Thankfully, Alan recognised the importance of his fans and kindly answered my question and having seen the initial shock on my face also posed for a quick photo with me (What a top guy!).

This was the only blight on what was otherwise a great show though.

Kindest Regards

Edited by Kevla

Kevla's comment shows that rules are a bit erratic. Regarding the fact that at other events, such as Collectormania or LFCC, these things wouldn't happen, I have to say that in more than ten years I have seen dealers holding up queues even there. On one occasion, a chap before me asked Karen Gillan to sign some 30 pictures, which (fortunately) she did in less than a minute (bless her!), but not all guests can be as fast as her. Although unfair, I also understand that conditions, guest's mood etc. may change during the day, so some people may be allowed to chat longer than others in different moments and I can accept it. I know that we pay for an autograph only and everything else (picture at the table, chat, etc.) is a bonus and I am happy when I get one but a skype connection to New Zealand seems a bit over the top even to me: attendants should have said something about it. Again, I don't have anything against dealers or fanatics of international communications but more rigid OFFICIAL rules should be decided and implemented by Showmasters, so next time we all know where we stand.

• Like 1

All I can say is...

Don't allow it for Stan Lee in July.

God help us all then.

LOL.. I was thinking about the same. Im already scared to wait for hours just the get one signature of Stan Lee.

Its Ok when someone has some more to get signed and it was really relaxed (for the most at the event - ok, I wasn't interested in the astronauts). Just sunday there was a couple who had to get a bigger amount of Star Wars Poster by Dave Prowse. that guy who had the poster (I guess it was a dealer) said sorry when it takes longer... it was ok for me... so I checked two times again... but I went a little bit scared not get Dave Prowse because I had to leave the event earlier and to catching my flight :-D

But finally I got it.

Myself I had to get 9 photos/DVD Covers/Poster signed by Christopher Neame... but I was right now alone at his table... so I guess it was ok.

I'm sorry to say this, but if 30 is the max at some event's. 30 is just way too much even if the celebrity is a one off guest.

7 should be max at all of them. Or just under 10.

Please make this a new rule at all events.

It's unfair for those who have to wait.

I was the thing that annoyed me the most is that the camera had the flash on every time.

I was quite worried as I have epilepsy and it is unkind for those who don't like it constantly.

I'm sure even the celebrities don't like the flash.

There is enough light there why need a flash at all.

Got a headache at the end after signing.

If you want to chat to a guest, the best times to do it are if you are one of the first 10-15 in the que, or if they are away for a photo session, they usually take their time getting settled at the table so when they leave for the photo session, get yourself in line so you're either the first or one of the first in line when they get back. These are also the best times to get photos at the desk. Also if it's an open que hang around. I love hanging around certain guests and seeing fans get emotional and hearing all the stories they like to tell lol. You need to pick your moments at these shows to maximise your minutes and get the most out of it as you can. It is a shame that dealers can't get their own time to get stuff signed but again.......that to me is a dream if I'm the person behind the dealer because it means I can stand next to the dealer and listen in on the conversations, because it's not like a fan talking and the big speech about how much they love them and my life is complete now that i've met you etc, it's just two people having a conversation so although I agree that it was probably too much, if you're in that que it wont bother you.

And that's the real reason why people come on forums and complain rather than speaking to those people in person. The reason nothing was said to those dealers/fans is because for everybody behind that person, they know they're going to meet them anyway, their chance of getting something signed isn't in jeapordy. If you're behind people getting multiple things signed, embrace it and be a part of it. See what they're getting signed, maybe they have a cool photo or item you didn't know existed.

TheWizard, your view is rather romantic and I agree with you on many things. It is true that sometimes you might get ideas or nice stories from other attendees if you hang around and this is an added value to the experience. However, remaining stuck in the queue for 25-30 minutes because of ONE single person, it might cause my romanticism to evaporate. As Aseefsid has pointed out, we need more rigorous guidance from the organisers and stick to it, in order to avoid the same problem in the future. And, yes, I also think that flash photography should be avoided, if possible.

I was in the queue when the person with multiple items was present and

directly behind the man with the tablet (he was asking Al Bean to talk to his family in New Zealand on skype). I guess that was pushing

things too far, seeing as they hadn't paid an entry fee!

Haha that made me laugh!! Can you imagine trying that with Buzz?! His assistants would be saying 'well yeah we can do that, £10 per word spoken.....'!!

There's all sorts of little incidents I see at various Autographica's that just make the event such a super time. Like I saw 'aircraft wooden propeller man' lugging it around, and a chap who got the outline of Al Bean's hand on a photo - did he charge for that I wonder.......

I don't mind the idea of taking a normal photo with celebrities at the event, but there is plenty of light at each of these events to not need a camera flash.

I had no flash on on my iPhone 5s and had lovely photo's.

Isn't this a fairly simplistic view, as not all cameras are the same, or the same quality. My camera also didn't need a flash (which is pretty good as I forgot how to work it anyway! :lol: ), but its wrong to dictate that nobody else should because I didn't. At the end of the day everybody got to meet Alan who wanted to meet him. No harm was done, and everybody had a great time. .......