Where to start with Stan Lee?

only_jay

I am a massive fan of Marvel but i'm sad to say I never really got chance to read the comics (shocking I know) mainly because I was more into the TV shows of X-Men, Spiderman and The Hulk etc.

However... I want to make an effort to pick some up this year and read them as I am meeting the legend that is Stan Lee.

So I thought with Stan having such a big catalogue of comics it would be good to start up a topic and share which ones were people favourites and also recommend ones for the people like me...

Early Amazing Spiderman are some of my favourites amongst many others as the art by Dikto was great!

I think if you are looking to find the origins of the Hulk, Spidey etc I think Marvel Masterworks would be the best option as buying the actual comics go into the thousands (sometimes millions)!

Hope that helped

Stan himself wrote the early issues (varying from first 20 to first hundred!) of each of the main Marvel series: X-Men, Fantastic Four, Spider-Man, Incredible Hulk, Journey Into Mystery/Thor etc. You'll likely be able to find the first few volumes of a series in graphic novel form in somewhere as convenient as Waterstones and WH Smith. :)

I think Lee's greatest early works are the first 60ish issues of the Fantastic Four and also the early Journey into Mystery/Thor stuff.

It's equally important that you are also reading books with artwork by Jack Kirby. Lee and Kirby were pretty much the Lennon and Mcartney of comic book creators and worked very closely for a number of years. Their run on F4 is legendary and Kirby's artwork in Journey Into Mystery is especially epic.

The Cap/Iron Man stories in Tales of Suspense are also fantastic. Much better than the solo issues that followed once they branched off into their own books

The essential marvel books are a great and cheap entry point into early Marvel stories. Each book runs for about £10 but usually consist of 30 or so issues. The artwork is in black and white which is a turn off for some, but is also a way to see Kirby art as close to the original pencils as possible. Check them out on Amazon..

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Essential-Thor-Volume-TPB-v/dp/0785118667/ref=sr_1_6?ie=UTF8&qid=1390989026&sr=8-6&keywords=essential+marvel+thor

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Essential-Fantastic-Volume-All-New-Edition/dp/078513302X/ref=sr_1_9?ie=UTF8&qid=1390989077&sr=8-9&keywords=essential+marvel+fantastic+four

They can also be found pretty cheaply on eBay

This is also a nice book that just came out last week. Contains the origin stories of most of the classic characters. Pretty much all of them written by Lee. I'm thinking of getting mine signed as its a nice collection of all of the important Marvel stories in one book

https://forbiddenpla...el-origins-60s/

Edited by Supernova