General Chat

bunnycure

it's now officially THIS WEEK.

also, regulars is it normally hot, cold or alright in the arena itself. just so i can figure out what to wear...

Can't wait. Last year it did get pretty hot in the hall if I remember correctly.

lol yep it was a bit sweaty-i remember a guy in last years forum-vodka wrestling i think?mentioning there was a b.o stench around ha ha.Think it was the sheer volume of people heating the place up-i would class it as warm at most but deffo not sweltering around the main floor

lol yep it was a bit sweaty-i remember a guy in last years forum-vodka wrestling i think?mentioning there was a b.o stench around ha ha.Think it was the sheer volume of people heating the place up-i would class it as warm at most but deffo not sweltering around the main floor

I felt especially sorry for the dude in the alien costume. Saw him take his head off at one point and you would have thought he'd just climbed out of a swimming pool. Great effort though.

• Like 1

I'm a freak mate, I don't go to meet people at these things. I've the most screwed up moral compass on earth thats hard to explain but something doesnt sit well with me paying a person just to meet them. I love the occasion, meeting random people and learning.

I dont do signatures or photos with anyone in any walk of life. Id rather just meet them and say "you're awesome for such and such a reason, thanks for those cool memories" and walk on like the oddball I am haha.

I've started think a lot more like this recently too, after having a huge inner debate about if I wanted to go see Stan Lee, I had the tickets all booked up and everything then realised, hang on obviously it's a big deal to me but to Stan I'm just another guy in the line he won't particularly remember me out of all the other fans. I then came to the conclusion that I would rather meet any famous person in a natural way rather than just hound them for a photo/auto as I know it's not what I would do in the event I did bump into them, so why go out my way to do it for these kind of shows? I don't collect autos or anything so it seems weird that I do it for these things.

So yeah from now on my focus is on the event and being more social throughout the whole day.

You and Vodka make really good points.

My mrs booked us up last year for first time to go see Robert.I had never been to anything like collectormania.While an autograph is cool i didn't think we should pay for that and didn't (although ive bought peoples books to get them signed so im a bit of a hypocrite there lol))but was excited about a pic with Freddy wearing his glove lol.

The Robert Englund photoshoot was(i guess understandable) like a cattle market-your told exactly where to stand have like 5 secs to get pic and ushered out again(and on a side note there was a steward girl had a bad attitude about me having my son keep hold of a bag for me staying way out of the way lol).

So anyway theres nothing really personal about it.

I though Lance photoshoot was better(on sunday i went and i got a buzz from that)

Later i seen you get a free pic with the star usually if you get an autograph-so i was thinking that would have been nice but i listened to a podcast thing with Lance and some guy who runs a website for him a while after he was talking about Collectormania Glasgow and he was saying how he hated everyone taking snaps of him,couldn't understand anyone and his legs were like tree trunks from getting up and posing for pics lol -so your exactly right is the star really having a fun time or basically there for the money or publicity?

I'm defintely not trying to be negative u guys just got me thinking and remembering theres two sides to view it-but the pics/autographs can be fun experiences you will always remember i'm sure.

Edited by da_paul_bd
  • Like 1

I felt especially sorry for the dude in the alien costume. Saw him take his head off at one point and you would have thought he'd just climbed out of a swimming pool. Great effort though.

ha ha-yeah u just got me thinking what must it have been like for the people in costumes-there was a giant wookie,predator-like you said aliens and stuff!Must have been dripping!

I'M SO EXCITED NOW THE SCHEDULES OUT AND I KNOW WHAT MY PLAN IS.

the GOT storyboarding slightly clashes with the chris rankin photo op. if i get out of the op and there is still space in the talk can i get in late, or do they shut off entry once it starts?

• Like 1

My mrs booked us up last year for first time to go see Robert.I had never been to anything like collectormania.While an autograph is cool i didn't think we should pay for that and didn't (although ive bought peoples books to get them signed so im a bit of a hypocrite there lol))but was excited about a pic with Freddy wearing his glove lol.

I have got autos before too and I do get the appeal of meeting someone your a huge fan of, though I don't mind all the baggage that come with that (is it just another name to you, do they even care about meeting you or is it all about the pay etc) I accept all that, it is what it is and is more about "just having fun" and the overall experience. The main point really I suppose is I wouldn't want to be "just another fan" in there eyes if I bumped into them outside a convention event so I'm just not sure that's a thing for me personally, everyone has there own reasons for going to these things I guess and I was mostly realising within myself that i find enjoyment outside the whole " just going along with the crowd" type mentality.

These events are fantastic though and I wouldn't change anything about them I throughly enjoy seeing all the different passions coming together and just celebrating our love and gratitude for the franchises we are fans of.

• Showmasters Admin

Hi all i thought i would come in here and give you some of my observations.

Most guests we have attend these shows like to meet there fans

Guests that are not keen on meeting there fans just say no to us and we never get to meet them , its not a money thing that drives then its a fun thing , lots of us have to work to make ends meet where as most of the bigger guests we have attend out events have a choice as they have made enuff money in there life to not do something they do not want to do , so i can say most of the guests that have been in film or tv for some time will not need to do this just for the money .

Now that dose not mean that they will travel to a show and give up there weekend at a comic con for nothing at all , we all want something for doing a job and berleave it or not saying high and having 400 photos taken of you and another 200 to 300 autographs signed is quite hard work and some times its very full on for the guests so they do expect to me paid for working at a show like they do for tv and film work , we are all used to being paid for our work and we all expect to be paid what we are used to and its no different to guests and we treat them to a standard that they are used to and that way we have the reputation to be able to book most of the names on tv and some of the names from film today.

Now down to photo ops , these are just what we say they are photo ops , they are not meet and greets and they are not a place to get to know the guests or have a quick chat , when we started to run events photo ops did not exist as most guests did not like doing them as they took along time under hot lights and it was quite hard on them , over the years we have managed to make it work for most of them and make it efficient and not unpleasant and as such more guests are now happy to take part in them, i feel photo ops are more important that autographs myself personally as you can buy at autograph anytime you may pay more and you have to be cearful that they are real but you can get them where as a photo op is something that is moment in time with you and if you do not get it then that that maybe the only chance to have gotten it ?.

if a guests remembers you or not i do not think is a issue as i have booked and had many guests that just do not remember me a year down the line as they do meet lots more people than most of us and its not like i am a friend to them just because i have booked them for a show , so i do not feel they should remember me unless we become friends which has happened over the years , i do not expect it and i do not feel they respect me less they just do not know me so remembering me is not really expected from my part.

i do know that most guests talk after a day at the show and tell other guests about some of the people they meant and what a positive affect they saw when they meet some of the fans , i know Billie Piper and Matt Smith both was quite amazed by the fans positive reaction in meeting them , and they felt so privileged to be greeted in this way , so i have to say i do not see guests ever looking at us fans in a negative way in any way and they love to perform and give pleasure like they do no stage or on film so its in there nature to want to please.

well there is some thoughts of mine i hope you now see things in a different light ?:-)

see you at the show

jason

• Like 7

i agree about photo ops. i have definitely gone for photo ops over autos. originally i wasn't even going to bother with autographs, but then you released the schedule and somehow from that i have a list of about £150 worth of autographs i want too. :D haha.

i'm so unbelievably excited about meeting Rupert Young. i absolutely loved sir leon, he was my favourite thing about merlin. i will probably cry on him. hahaha.

i've not really been going to cons very long, but i've met a lot of bands in the past and from talking to them, some of them remember me from tours in the past (maybe not by name but at least by sight) and some just give a quick signature and hi, but either way it's still a buzz just to be in their presence. the times i've managed to talk to some of my bigger musical heroes and told them how much they mean to me and how inspiring they are, you can see that they're really touched. and i guess meeting bands is the same kinda thing. either you wait around afterwards and hope that they'll stay which can be very hit and miss, they're not obliged to stop and talk after a show. or you pay for a meet and greet, where generally they're really friendly get a bit of a chat and a photo and autograph and sometimes a few songs which you've paid for. it's basically the same thing, just slightly different approach.

okay i kinda waffled there but basically OMG IM SO EXCITED AND HOW AM I GOING TO GET THROUGH TWO MORE DAYS OF WORK AND THREE NIGHTS SLEEPS BEFORE DOOR OPEN.

• Like 2

Yeah, just to express I definitely don't expect to be remembered. Just perhaps make a bigger impact than the next in a queue that creates a general feeling of the fan love of the masses. This is more an issue in the big cons and it is one of the reasons I do love GCM as you do generally get much more time to chat and see the guests as just another person really.

Just found out that I've a newly arranged family do to attend on Saturday afternoon (which I cant not go to) and will probably have to leave Braehead around 10.30-11ish to be home in time :no::no::no::no:

Edited by Matthewman