When do you buy and when do you make?

Zonic

Here's a cool question. We'd all like to be in the stage where we can make everything but until we get to the stage of being experts at woodwork and silcon molding what sort of pieces do you choose to buy and what others do you take the plunge and make? Perhaps we can share techniques here so if anyone wants to have a go and making something they'd usually buy they can get tips here! Lets disscuss.

I buy things like suit jackets, trousers, shirts etc - though I've made a couple of pairs of trousers if they weren't "ordinary" trousers, ie. oddly shaped or a funny style, and I had one costume I had several attempts at and made the jacket from scratch each time.

• 5 weeks later...

As a cosplayer from the old school (I started in 1990) I pretty much make everything. The only times I don't are footwear, wigs and some base props.

Making footwear is a skill that I doubt I'll ever master. I have made a couple of pairs of boots for historical groups and one costume but found it was tricky to get the fit right so haven't done so since.

Wigs I buy the base wig and then style it myself. I doubt I'll ever make a wig from scratch as I wouldn't have the paticence for it XD.

For the most part I make my own props. In some cases it hasn't always been possible. Mainly down to time. If I end up having to buy I usually get a base that I can then build onto or customise.

• 3 weeks later...

I love this thread. I have NO idea where to start. Despite me absolutely loving to dress up (fancy dress etc) - cosplaying is a completely new idea to me.

I really would like to cosplay for WLFCC and as a special effects makeup gal, I think I have more option to go crazy which my options but when it comes to the actual costume/outfit I come to a standstill - Buying one is out of the question because they're so expensive (mostly) and making one... ARGH!!!!

SIGH.