Who would you like to see as the new Doctor?

Avengers7

Benedict Cumberbatch or Colin Morgan .

No to either of them for me, Cumberbatch has Sherlock and Morgan has been in Who. I want it to be someone mostly unheard of like Smith was when he was announced.

I don't think it matters that Colin has been in Who before. Colin Baker appeared in Doctor Who before he got the role as well.

According to the bookies, Benedict Cumberbatch is the frontrunner for the role at the moment, followed by Tom Hiddleston.

I'm not a Who fan but I seem to remember seeing an interview with Cumberbatch a little while back where he we asked about the part. He mentioned being friends with David Tennant and had seen the demands the role put on him with fans etc and felt that wasn't something he would want. He may have changed hs mind since then of course.

An interesting twist I think would be to bring Paul McGann back as the Doctor, not quite sure how that would work, but I've often thought it would be interesting to see what he would do with the character given a series, rather than a one off film. Doctor Who is timeless so why not go back ?

Looking forward at some of the suggestions I've see today, I thought Dev Patel actually sounded quite an interesting one, although perhaps with his film career too big at the moment.

Rory Kinnear also seems to be a favourite with the bookies and also rumours of Sean Pertwee.

In fact, rumours of pretty much everyone from Helen Mirren to Billie Piper !

If they are going to make a change, and by that I mean make the Doctor female then post the 50th Anniversary what better a time to do it and I see Olivia Colman is also being touted as a runner for the part which would be interesting.

On balance I suspect it will be someone who is relatively unknown.

cumberbatch? yeah great then maybe we would only get 2 eps of who a year with precious sherlock filming also ;-)

colin morgan, too young looking for me, why must everything these days be young, whats wrong with an older actor? matt played old very well despite being young but im not sure I believe colin morgan could/does, for me anyway

Idris Alba

would be great as would robert caryle, but both are hollywood actors, even if they would do it, would they stay more than a season? and we would never seen em at a con lol, but both would be great doctors i think

cumberbatch? yeah great then maybe we would only get 2 eps of who a year with precious sherlock filming also ;-)

colin morgan, too young looking for me, why must everything these days be young, whats wrong with an older actor? matt played old very well despite being young but im not sure I believe colin morgan could/does, for me anyway

After Matt Smith I don't think being 'young' is a issue. As for Sherlock. It will have finished filming just in time for the usual late Summer early Autumn filming for Dr Who so I don't think this is an issue either.

However, Cumberbatch is now a big Hollywood star so probably wouldn't want to do it. Robert Carlyle also filming Once Upon a Time in Vancouver so he's out as well.

do you think Cumberbatch and the moff could sustain producing 2 different major bbc shows for which they are the leads of both back to back without one of them suffering?

there is young and there is looking like youre still in high school ;-) but in a way you are right, i guess selling the show it wont matter, but personally, Id like to see an older looking actor, even DT looked young. and hopefully that might help slow the show down a little also, ha im sounding like a right old man "its too fast and loud" lol. but its also down to ability, matt was able to portray an old man in a young body, some other young actors dont have that ability or the features, just my opinion, I dont want doctor who the school years, Doctor who Junior lol.

• 2 weeks later...