bye matt smith

kevinstowmarket

It was unofficially announced months ago that he'd be leaving the end of this series and regenerating at the xmas special wasn't it!!

The last thing Matt said prior to this was that he would film up to the Christmas Special and then see where it goes from there. There had been several "sources" stating it was a done deal, but nothing official until now.

Thanks Matt for a great performance as the Doctor...!

We have been lucky to have had three great actors in this modern run of Who each bringing something new to the role...

I have every confidence that the BBC will select an equally good actor that will bring their own unique take on the Doctor....

so sad but Matt has done a brilliant job all though I heard that he signed up for series 8 I personally would like to see either Robert Carlyle or David Walliams or Eddie Izzard to be the next Doctor

Edited by Starbug

I didn't like Matt Smith that much as the Doctor personally for me nothing could too Tennants pot rayan in the revivals but then again I have get since Moffat took over its become more childlike and more americanised :(

This'll be controversial but I don't blame him, this series has been awful. He's better than what's been written.

I actually liked this series and thought it was the best Matt has ever done. Excellent stories such as Cold War and Hide.

I didn't like Matt Smith that much as the Doctor personally for me nothing could too Tennants pot rayan in the revivals but then again I have get since Moffat took over its become more childlike and more americanised :(

I agree, no one could top Tennant in my opinion.

I really didn't like Matt Smiths portrayal so I hope Moffet chooses his successer wisely.

The only thing that made Matt Smiths stories great was his companions who have all been brilliant - Jenna, Karen, Arthur and Alex.

Hope Jenna stays on with the new Doctor.

I want Alexander Vlahos as the next doctor :D

Makes Matt Smith look like an old man.

Alexander is what, mid 20's ? O.K. maybe I am getting old , but generally think the Doctor should be older than this. I think Matt Smith did a good job as a younger Doctor, but to have credibility as an ancient Time Lord I think it helps if the Doctor is older. I think experience of life and acting actually helps bring a more rounded and believable Doctor.

The only thing that made Matt Smiths stories great was his companions who have all been brilliant - Jenna, Karen, Arthur and Alex.

I actually found River Song rather annoying.

hahha the second quote wasn't me :P

Whoops. That was Dragon!

Yup it was me! These quote buttons are difficult to work out sometimes.

series 7b was pretty crap IMO, aside cold war which I liked, HIde was ok but i need to rewatch as the love ending changed the whole tone, the finale I loved the classic bits in it. the rest had moments but on the whole were poor.

I think the whole split season thing was cos matt wanted to do other things but stay on for the 50th and the moff ect didnt want to lose him. I think now either he wants to go or they told him commit or go.

badly kept secret, badly handled as has a lot of new who stuff, chris's leaving and the s7b blu rays early release spring to mind as truely bad.

I really like matt, though I feel he was never better than as he was in s5, post 5 they made him a bit too polished, smoth and loud, a bit too much like tennant with slicked hair ect. the costume became too straight, if that makes sense, i doubt im making my thoughts clear lol. I also think 5 overall was the best moff series, 6&7 were too wibbly wobbly with stories too flippant & played for laughts, there was no danger, everything was too flippant stemming from the scripts and dialogue.

of course there were gems in 6&7 no doubt, but im generalising.

I dont think the show needed to change its lead just yet and its a shame matt goes out on such a sporadic season, withouth any encounter with the master either. still, got 2 eps left yet.

the show needs a new focus and to take itsself more seriously, that stems from the top, I was a big champion for the moff at first, but I would be glad to see a new driving force, perhaps though the new exec can rein in the wibbly wobbly and the flippancy.

1 thing that must change though, the doctor needs to become more important to the plots resolutions, wether he directly facilitates/encourages others to save the day or saves the day himself, lately he almost does nothing to save the day as it were.

it also needs to slow down and make a bit more sense, sit down and try to work out half the eps, they dont make sense even within their own reality.

maybe its cos I lost the patience, but what exactly was the silence will fall? who was the voice in the tardis in the 11th hour saying it? i may have just missed something? i dunno, thats not a direct ref to my making sense points but id like to know

so new doctor? my 3 choices at the mo would be Hugh Luarie, chiwetel ejiofor, ben daniels,

the romantic in me would like to see sean pertwee also

series 5 was pretty great, spots of the rest were also but it fell too flippant and silly with the doc too sidelined for me. I need to rewatch s7, but 7b I hated overall. 7a was ok overall, aside from I didnt like the statue of liberty angel. and the power of 3 had a dull rushed ending. I liked asylum and dinos esp the end bits was good, i like darker doc, he gave him a choice, then bye bye. reminds me of tennant in school reunion or pat in seeds of death, a few examples of many

I do think the cliffhanger to the impossible astronaut was one of the best ever DW cliffhangers, I couldnt stop repeating the last seconds over and over, was brilliant. up there with ambassadors of death ep 3 (is that right? might have the ep wrong there, yeah think it was ep 2) but the "RIGHT CUT IT OPEN) there are other good ones also through out the history