Please announce guests :(

LadyKayl

I know showmasters have been busy with other cons, but the lack of activity with this con is causing worry with the fans. Some friends of mine are now thinking twice about buying a ticket :( I'm worried if other people are feeling the same way this will affect the convention as a whole.

• Like 1

There are some 7 months to the event. Guests will be being approached and hopefully signed in due course. I could understand the worry if it was 1-2 months until the event, but it is many more months. I know other events around or after the same time, but these are guests who know their filming schedule for that period of the year and thus have decided to sign up now. As with all of the events Showmasters/Massive Events run, they will be approaching guests all the time.

So, keep the faith that Jason & Mark will sign some excellent guests for what will no doubt be an excellent weekend.

• Like 1

If you choose to believe rumours, then that may make you think it is to be cancelled. Just because another event has 9 guests already signed for the same time of year, does not mean this will not run. It means those people for the other event know they can attend, have signed contracts and returned them to Massive Events/Showmasters. For all we know, contracts could be signed or waiting to be signed by guests for this event but have not reached the organisers. As I have indicated to others, until the organiser says anything, then sit tight. Not all situations are the same.

Thanks Elmo. Almost nothing more to add to that.

We're talking about two current shows featured at this event, both still being produced. It's the norm that events with active shows take a little longer to have guests announced. Guests don't like to cancel conventions and disappoint their fans. Just remember how close to his last appearance at Collectormania Nathan Fillion was announced for example.

We're talking about two current shows featured at this event, both still being produced. It's the norm that events with active shows take a little longer to have guests announced. Guests don't like to cancel conventions and disappoint their fans. Just remember how close to his last appearance at Collectormania Nathan Fillion was announced for example.

I just wish people would learn to differentiate between events. Yes, there are issues elsewhere, but that does not mean this event will not go forward. It is all bonkers. Instead of getting stressed, then ask a Mod like yourself a question and it will be answered. Too much scaremongering going on, and I feel for Jason & Co. Yes, by their own words they respect feedback and look to learn from mistakes made. People expect miracles. And some seem to want to ignore the fact that some things cannot be divulged until finalised. But, that is what you are here for :angel:

I just wish people would learn to differentiate between events. Yes, there are issues elsewhere, but that does not mean this event will not go forward. It is all bonkers. Instead of getting stressed, then ask a Mod like yourself a question and it will be answered. Too much scaremongering going on, and I feel for Jason & Co. Yes, by their own words they respect feedback and look to learn from mistakes made. People expect miracles. And some seem to want to ignore the fact that some things cannot be divulged until finalised. But, that is what you are here for :angel:

as i have said before i have never been to a convention before and although you said maybe January before any announcements are made, others who have been to cons for years are also worried.

i do not like to be made to feel stupid by others who expect people to instantly understand everything. I'm doing my best to learn how things work - that's why i post on here, but if this is how newcomers are treated i won't bother...

as i have said before i have never been to a convention before and although you said maybe January before any announcements are made, others who have been to cons for years are also worried.

i do not like to be made to feel stupid by others who expect people to instantly understand everything. I'm doing my best to learn how things work - that's why i post on here, but if this is how newcomers are treated i won't bother...

It is unfortunate that you have taken my post reply to Queen Sindel as directed at you. It was not. Or others who are new to eventing or this forum. That is why I used the term scaremongering. There have been posters who are regular attendees at events run by Showmasters/Massive Events and others. They have unfortunately, in my eyes, left people like yourself and other newbies concerned about this event. Those posters, in my opininon, have not seen the potential impact it could have on other people.

In a similar way with my post. As I did not specify who was doing the scaremongering in my post to Queen Sindel, you appear to have taken it as it was directed at newbies like yourself.

I try to help new people like yourself as I was once a newbie to eventing.

As I tried to point out in my prior post to Queen SIndel, I wish people would learn to differentiate between events. People who have attended events for many years will more than likely know events can change in many forms. There is a current issue with another SM/ME event, and I get the impression that some posters have taken the implications there and mirrored them to other SM/ME events. Which is very unfortunate and unfair to both the organisers and fans such as yourself who are new to the scene so to speak.

Please be assured that my prior comments were not directed at you whatsoever. You should not be made to feel stupid by others comments, and anyone expecting people new to the scene to understand things straight away are out of order. We have to learn at some point, and that is why I decided to reply to your post in a rather long winded manner.

I am confident that SM/ME will have many irons in the fire for this event as it was announced sometime ago, and for a themed weekend event that is new to their line up, that is rare or unheard of.

Take care and ask all the questions you need to about the events. Moderators like Queen Sindel, 1of2, DavidB and Too Tall are great fountains of information as they both help at and attend the events.

Edited by Elmo Blues

As mentioned above there are moderators to help on here many of us are crew too or at the least attend lots of the events who know how things work, but there are also very helpful forum users here too who are happy to answer queries, and often do before we have even seen them :D

There is also a helpful thread which general information on how the shows work.

http://showmastersonline.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=75472

As to when the guests are booked, as you have probably heard, Showmasters/Massive Events only announce a guest when a contract is signed and returned and they are usually trying for a number of guests at the same time rather than one at a time

Any queries, just ask :D

i havent booked my ticket yet purely based on i'm waiting for a OUAT guest to be announce, but i remember the last ET i went to charlie and gil were announced on the day i think ao i totally understand guests can be announced last minute.

but i do have a question... do we get refunds if the event does get cancelled?? i mean in the sense that we get our money back and not a voucher to use for another con?

just because my mum is coming with me and she doesnt like any of the other cons?!!?

• 2 weeks later...

It's fine saying that other guests will be announced nearer the time and not to worry but that is just part of the problem. Guests would at least show activity.

Since the event was announced it's been pretty much dead. That is why there are rumours that the event isn't going to happen. Where is the hotel code? Where are announcements about themes for the party if there are going to be themes? More importantly where is the advertising of the event(s)

Guests being announced excite fans and they decide if they want to go or not. How about an experiment for next years Collectormania. Announce one guest then announce no more for months and months just saying we have signed contracts from 50 people but we aren't saying who they are. Then a month before the show announce them all. I bet their will be rumours galore saying the event isn't happening despite the success of all the other shows and the reputaition that Showmasters has.

Also when they annonce their next TV series based con lets all agree to go but not buy a ticket or book the hotel room until 2 weeks before. We can say "Don't worry" and "It'll be alright" or "just be patient." And of course remind them about how things happen right near to the event such as Nathan Fillion being announced. That will work. That's ok the event will still go ahead and not get cancelled owing to lack of sales.... "The Games" anyone?

That got cancelled owing to lack of ticket sales. For weeks (not months owing to date it was announced) people kept saying what's happening with The Lords of Time event? Nobody is being announced. Of course it went ahead and that is great, but that doesn't take away that leading up to it people were very concerned at nothing being announced like with "The Games" and now with this event.

How many months have passed since this was anounced? People do understand that guests can't be announced until contracts are signed etc but couldn't they have after 2-3 months said that the party theme on Saturday is? Around 6 months after it's announced tell us the hotel code and then 2-3 months after that reveal another party theme? Not as good as having names of guests but better than nothing and showing that the event isn't being classed as secondary to Collectormania and the like.

Let's face it that is where the money is. The number of attendees at the signing events is huge compared to these themed cons. Simon said that he wished people would differentiate between events. If he means between this and say Collectormania the problem is they are both refered to as conventions. That is why I refer them to as signing events and themed conventions or themed weekends.

It would be clearer if SM and ME had seperate websites and forums to keep them a part.

As it stands I would welcome one or two guest announcements but I'm not waiting for them. If they happen they do. I'm hoping it goes ahead but am expecting it won't. It will be a nice treat if it does.

I know I will get a refund if it does get cancelled so not stressed about that. However if this does get cancelled then I will get a refund and not transfer my booking to another con like I did "The Games" to this one.

I'll likely just do the signing weekends only and avoid the themed conventions. To me SM are well organised and well run, but ME is another matter. My event gets cancelled, it happens. Another gets cancelled, it happens. That I get and understand. However the lack of promotion in general (it seems like its the fans that are expected to spread the word to promote it) and generally keeping the fans, some of whom have purchased tickets, informed and tjust saying not to worry, have patience, isn't good at all.

• Like 1

It's fine saying that other guests will be announced nearer the time and not to worry but that is just part of the problem. Guests would at least show activity.

Since the event was announced it's been pretty much dead. That is why there are rumours that the event isn't going to happen. Where is the hotel code? Where are announcements about themes for the party if there are going to be themes? More importantly where is the advertising of the event(s)

Guests being announced excite fans and they decide if they want to go or not. How about an experiment for next years Collectormania. Announce one guest then announce no more for months and months just saying we have signed contracts from 50 people but we aren't saying who they are. Then a month before the show announce them all. I bet their will be rumours galore saying the event isn't happening despite the success of all the other shows and the reputaition that Showmasters has.

Also when they annonce their next TV series based con lets all agree to go but not buy a ticket or book the hotel room until 2 weeks before. We can say "Don't worry" and "It'll be alright" or "just be patient." And of course remind them about how things happen right near to the event such as Nathan Fillion being announced. That will work. That's ok the event will still go ahead and not get cancelled owing to lack of sales.... "The Games" anyone?

That got cancelled owing to lack of ticket sales. For weeks (not months owing to date it was announced) people kept saying what's happening with The Lords of Time event? Nobody is being announced. Of course it went ahead and that is great, but that doesn't take away that leading up to it people were very concerned at nothing being announced like with "The Games" and now with this event.

How many months have passed since this was anounced? People do understand that guests can't be announced until contracts are signed etc but couldn't they have after 2-3 months said that the party theme on Saturday is? Around 6 months after it's announced tell us the hotel code and then 2-3 months after that reveal another party theme? Not as good as having names of guests but better than nothing and showing that the event isn't being classed as secondary to Collectormania and the like.

Let's face it that is where the money is. The number of attendees at the signing events is huge compared to these themed cons. Simon said that he wished people would differentiate between events. If he means between this and say Collectormania the problem is they are both refered to as conventions. That is why I refer them to as signing events and themed conventions or themed weekends.

It would be clearer if SM and ME had seperate websites and forums to keep them a part.

As it stands I would welcome one or two guest announcements but I'm not waiting for them. If they happen they do. I'm hoping it goes ahead but am expecting it won't. It will be a nice treat if it does.

I know I will get a refund if it does get cancelled so not stressed about that. However if this does get cancelled then I will get a refund and not transfer my booking to another con like I did "The Games" to this one.

I'll likely just do the signing weekends only and avoid the themed conventions. To me SM are well organised and well run, but ME is another matter. My event gets cancelled, it happens. Another gets cancelled, it happens. That I get and understand. However the lack of promotion in general (it seems like its the fans that are expected to spread the word to promote it) and generally keeping the fans, some of whom have purchased tickets, informed and just saying not to worry, have patience, isn't good at all.

Nice to see there's a few others who do understand. Everytime I've asked I'm basically told in poilte terms to shut up...I do understand about the contracts and such but it doesnt take away the worry of cancellation, especially when I've read about other cons being cancelled :( x

No one is telling anyone to shut up. We all understand you are worried, but there is no need to. If someone comes over a little rough that is because others all seen those worries increase and increase and then grow to panic and it was totally unnecessary. If this panic spreads too badly sometimes it can even be one of the reasons why an event fails.

This "please announce guests/no guests announced for so long, is it cancelled?" question of a variation thereof pops up way too frequently. It gets especially bad when other sources needlessly add to the worrying. The reply is the same all the time: As long as Mark does not come on here and says the show is cancelled it is going ahead. Someone from the office will not tell you any differently than what the mods and the other users have posted

Yes, sometimes events get cancelled. But this doesn't mean the office has tried their utmost to get them to work. It is way too early to worry about the event being possibly cancelled due to lack of guests. The show is six months out.

The mods are perfectly aware guests announcement will help with ticket sales. But as it's been said, they are definitely not being held back on purpose. Unfortunately that's just they way things work. The whole thing is a Catch 22 situation.

Both Grimm and OUAT are fairly new shows, and past experience has showed that for new shows it often takes a little longer to get guests from new shows. Once of the most important reasons probably is that the shooting schedule is not known that much in advance, and a lot of possible guests do hate to disappoint their fans. That makes things especially tricky with shows as OUAT which has a fairly large cast - while it gives more selection of guests it also increases the risk of guests possibly being called in for shooting last minute. Nathan Fillion who was mentioned above is a pretty good example that things can work the other way round too: great guests have their schedules change and can be added last minute.

Party themes don't get announced that early in advance either, if something is out that early it's a huge exception. That's definitely no reason for worries either. Sometimes the party themes are kind of tied in a little to what guests they have. Maybe they're planning for the big Saturday party as Regina's re-election party or something like that. Of course that theme would work way better if Regina was there to host it, wouldn't it? ;) If you announce a party theme in advance and then change it attendees will be disappointed. I remember a lot of unhappy posts for one of the past ETs when only the order of parties were switched.

• Like 1

Nice to see there's a few others who do understand. Everytime I've asked I'm basically told in poilte terms to shut up...I do understand about the contracts and such but it doesnt take away the worry of cancellation, especially when I've read about other cons being cancelled :( x

As I have posted previously, and mentioned above by Queen Sindel, things can get blown out of proportion. Things can get misunderstood. That is why I took great time to explain what I was trying to do as you had taken away the complete opposite to what I had meant in my head.

You are, in your own words, new to conventions. That is why some of us are doing our best to help reassure you. There will be people who will vocally share your concerns, and sometimes that can heighten the concerns of a person in your position who is new to the convention scene.

Yes, some events have not happened. Some have been postponed. It happens. But, and this is where some people have seemingly chosen to ignore history, Showmasters and Massive Events have run many many events.

I do look forward to seeing more announcements for this event as it will mean people like yourself, both new to the convention scene and a little spooked that there has been little activity on this event since it was announced, will have something to smile about.

Edited by BigSi13

My advice to anyone attending a 'new' convention (meaning new to SM/ME) such as this, is support the event by buying a ticket, but be wary about spending on the additional costs (travel, etc). The tickets will ALWAYS be refunded if the event doesn't go ahead, but you might lose travel costs (unless you buy some sort of insurance at the same time).

Whilst guest announcements obviously rely on contracts being signed, they will also need ticket sales to justify the guest costs. Therefore if you want an event to happen, then supporting and encouraging ticket sales is essential.

Also, try and book the hotel via the organiser. This way you SHOULD get a refund in the event of a cancellation. Whilst you might be able to find the hotel for a few pounds less, it's worth paying a little more as a form of insurance (its better to spend £5 more per night, than risk losing £50-£60).

Also, try and book the hotel via the organiser. This way you SHOULD get a refund in the event of a cancellation. Whilst you might be able to find the hotel for a few pounds less, it's worth paying a little more as a form of insurance (its better to spend £5 more per night, than risk losing £50-£60).

It would help if we had the hotel code to book, we have nothing but the dates. hotel and one guest and nothing for months, its about time something like the hotel code was announced at least

It would help if we had the hotel code to book, we have nothing but the dates. hotel and one guest and nothing for months, its about time something like the hotel code was announced at least

I don't understand the need to get the hotel booked? If they haven't yet released the booking code, it means that no one has booked the pre-reserved rooms. This means that you shouldn't have a problem when it does get announced. The price probably won't change in the mean time, if they have a negotiated rate.