Event Feedback

This was my first trip to LFCC and I had a great time :smile: .

I was worried beforehand about crowding - I'm not good in crowds, and I'd had minor surgery the Tuesday before and was worried about being jostled, as I still had stitches in, and was in a bit of pain - but it was far less crowded than I expected, and didn't have any problems with that at all. (I was there all three days).

I didn't find the toilets too busy at all - it's just that everyone seemed to jam into the first one they found. There were planty of others which were half empty. In fact on Sunday afternoon my friend and I each had one completely to ourselves!

I don't see how people can complain about things being on before they arrive for an event that is clearly advertised as starting at 9am. Just be glad you live in a part of the country where going just for the day is even something you can reasonably consider - it takes me 4-5 hours to get to and from London (that's each way, so 8 - 10 hours overall!). If you are going to go partway through the event, then you are going to miss stuff, that's just the risk you take. However, I understand though the frustration of anyone who arrived in plenty of time but was held up outside the event by the queuing chaos on the Saturday - that shouldn't have happened. But did people with that problem ask staff about it on the day to see if there was anything that could be done?

I'm not saying everything was perfect, but what is? Overall, I had an absolutely super time, and would do it again in a flash! I'm really hoping I can make it next year :clap:

That's my twopenn'orth anyway :smile:

• Like 1

Good or Bad first?

Good - Hallie Todd, she was an absolute delight and so chatty you couldn't get away if you wanted to, which I didn't! Lizzie's Mum or Data's daughter, I'm not sure which was the most popular, but she was.

Good - The venue, Olympia is just SO much better than Earl's Court. It's bright and airy, the balcony is great for a rest - please let this be the normal venue for LFCC.

Good - the British Origami Society area, the Star Wars item were just phenomenal, check out starwarigami on Facebook if you missed it - the R2D2 is just one sheet of paper! (It's in the photo with Kenny Baker.) Even better, Hallie Todd mentioned a love of Origami, whilst chatting, but had never had a chance to try it. I bought a beginners guide at the stand and gave it to her as a thank you for being such a great guest. Did I mention she was a delight to meet? I'm hoping she'll post some of her efforts on Facebook! Great to have an area in which to try out some basic origami models too.

Good - Burt Kwok, what can I say about meeting such an icon?

Good - Anthony Head, fantastic guy to meet; very obliging and chatty, however...

Bad - Anthony Head, he was on virtual tickets all day Sunday and went on so long they turned the lights out on us! Not that I'm saying it was bad because he was such a great person to meet, but because Showmasters just did not seem to get it that he was so popular. My sister had to ask for a board for the poor queue-monitors - they were being asked constantly for the v-queue number, they finally got something about 4pm! Why didn't Showmasters react quicker? Why didn't they move his photo table forward to save a small amount of time? The same thing happened last year with poor Lis Sladen, moving the photo table would have saved so much time - any chance SM will learn from this? You cannot always plan for a guest being popular, but you should react quickly when it becomes clear that someone, unexpectedly, is!

Bad - THE person I went to see was Maryam D'Abo, I have a photo of us from Autographica 2007 (I think) and wanted it signed, I went past her table shortly after I arrived and she had just left to get a coffee. I came back, OK it was some time later, but only about 3.30pm and found she'd gone! No notices saying she would be leaving early, just gone! I know this is beyond SM's control, but it ruined my day, largely because I had had plenty of time to meet her if I'd known she was going early. I'm still kicking myself over it. I am also aware that if it was that she just got fed up and left, she's unlikely to be asked back and unlikely to accept anyway. My me and thee photo might just as well be binned.

Bad - hiding popular guests behind screens, there's got to be a better way to control things than this. "I'm too late for a virtual queue ticket, but at least I got to see..." would be far more positive than "all I saw was grey screens" could the screens on one side be waist high? Or is it a no-photo policy that's to blame?

Overall, Maryam D'Abo ruined my day; which, I know, is a shame because it overshadows my becoming a fan of Hallie Todd. My sister had a great day, even standing with me for over an hour to see Anthony Head. I have been to LFCC with my sister for a number of years and will go again next year, regardless of who's there. I just hope it's at Olympia and that SM learn to react.

LeMartien,

Due to the time constraints involved with that signing we needed to get people through quickly. They meant to come over as "assertive/firm" to get everyone through, I apologise if anyone came over as "aggressive". I shall talk to the crew members involved.

Stuart.

thanks

Melissa signed a card and this woman took and kept the card. Another staff member give a pre signed card... Its not very nice

• Showmasters Admin

LeMartien,

Due to the time constraints involved with that signing we needed to get people through quickly. They meant to come over as "assertive/firm" to get everyone through, I apologise if anyone came over as "aggressive". I shall talk to the crew members involved.

Stuart.

thanks

Melissa signed a card and this woman took and kept the card. Another staff member give a pre signed card... Its not very nice

It was the first time we've done anything quite like it. I think they were trying to get ahead of themselves a bit, so Melissa was signing two or three cards ahead. But I agree in hinesight I can see that not being nice for the attendees.

As always we do learn and learn quickly. So thank you for your feedback, I'll make sure it's taken into account for the next time.

• Like 1

this is just a few words to say that although I do not attend the LFCC that often due to the expense,I had a total nightmare getting there,arrived at 12.10pm on the saturday.

cannot thank the photo crew and some of the guests enough for being so understanding and accomodating.

in my case Janet Fielding and especialy Jane Badler for the extra photoshoot in the afternoon,had to wait a long time for my picture but it was well worth it!

well done!

• Like 1