Whats YOUR opinion on paying for Autographs?

KingRichard76

I think what would be nice is, if you go for a photoshoot, you can then book an autograph for a discounted price. Paying for both at full price is beyond the finances of most people these day!

Not going to happen. Also the days of a cheaper second auto are also long gone.

• Moderators

I think what would be nice is, if you go for a photoshoot, you can then book an autograph for a discounted price. Paying for both at full price is beyond the finances of most people these day!

As nice as that would be, it doesn't take into account the increased appearance fees, costs of running the event and all of that.

Prices are kept down as much as possible, however organisers can't be running these events at a loss.

I thought struck me that well there are thoose who dont and wont pay for autografs cause they can get them for "free" by going to places where the actors are etc, premieres etc. Thats alot of invested time in that aswell as money for trips and hotel.

Timewise I invest very little Imo to get that amount of autographs I usually get on ComicCon (the London one). And having all the actors in one weekend. The way I see it I pay for the convenience of having them gathered in one room and one weekend. The only thing missing with buying an autograph or having a staged photoshoot is that you dont get the same thrill like when you get it for free in the street or behind a theatre and having a photoshoot that is more improvised and sudden (donno a good word for it really)... Like my avatar with David Tennant. Its in London behind the Wyndhams Theatre in London.

In short I dont think its bad to pay for autographs. Perhaps not £135 though... :smile:

If I'm doing all the work, going out of my way to get an autograph, I'd be pretty unhappy if the celeb tried to charge me. Wouldn't mind if they refuse - that's entirely their perogative - but to charge me I'd be pretty offended.

At an event, the celeb is effectively at work; their 'employers' are their fans, except rather than paying to watch their tv shows/movies, we're paying for their time. And as has been mentioned, it's not just their signature we're getting, it's a once-in-a-lifetime chance to be in their presence. Which (depending on the celeb) for some means nothing and for others means everything.

I guess it's also because it's a buyers market. as a celeb I'd be pretty narked if a 'fan' asked for an autograph only so they could then sell it on Ebay for money. It's a sad fact, but at least paying £30,£40 or £50 for an autograph proves (or at least makes it m,uch more likely) that you're a fan.

I'm a bit torn on the matter (although obviously I am in favour of it as I've spent more than I'd like to work out on autographs.....):

On one hand some of my best autographs/meetings have been for free. I've met several musicians outside the venues and some of them have been genuinely awesome experiences - some of them are more than happy to sign your merch and pose for photos etc. Mark Tremonti (my favorite guitarist ever) does pretty much a meet and greet after every show and he seems like such a legit guy, and I met my favorite drummer after one of his gigs and he spent a good 25 minutes talking to me about the show and the new album etc. which was literally the best evening ever. However, there have been some misses mind - Travis Barker said hello before jumping on his tour bus, and some bigger artists just aren't even accessible if they are playing bigger venues.

That's where conventions have the advantage - unless you're pretty unlucky, you are almost guaranteed an autograph. I like to see it as not paying for an autograph as such, but paying for the guarantee of getting one (it makes it easier to accept dropping £40 - my most expensive to date - on a squiggle on a piece of paper if I consider it paying to meet them instead).

That is why I would never consider buying an autograph from a 3rd party. Screw that. I'd rather never have the autograph than have it without having the experience of meeting them.