BATTLESHIP

nicky

I saw BATTLESHIP last night.

It was a bit crap.

There were big explosions and AC/DC (who else does Hollywood enlist for the rock soundtrack thesedays?). No plot, flat characters and it's cliche-ridden. It feels like a Micheal Bay movie but much worse and is basically just an excuse to cash-in on the toy-becomes-movie band-wagon on one side and on the other as a properganda attempt to entice men (and women) to join the Navy. Watch out for the moody men walking towards camera in slomo cliche....you're audience will laugh as you've never seen it like this before.

Taylor Kitsch was a bit cardboard. Hollywood seems keen on making him the next big action lead after Wolverine and John Carter. Liam Neeson just played a typical alpha male superior guy. Rhianna added nothing to the story expect some dumb dialogue and did the typical tough-girl act a la Michelle Roderiguez. Alexander Skarsgaard seemed a bit crap too like he could have done more but just looked annoyed in the movie throughout, maybe cos that's the only emotion his character was given . There were other cliche characters such as the hot babe girlfriend, the scientist nerd who finds courage, the angry ex-soldier who regains his lost faith to name a few.

The aliens were ok but we didnt find much about them. They didnt even communicate with the humans and I wasnt clear up on what they wanted. The FX for their faces were pretty bad....BUT they're exo-suits and ship were cool.

Peter Berg has always been a lacklustre director IMO. Hancock wasn't great and I never saw The Kingdom. He's meant to be one of Michael Mann's proteges as I understand it but he just isn't able to handle depth in his films.

2.5/5

Edited by nicky