Love at Conventions

just talk to a woman you like, easier said than done for those shy amoungst us, I freeze up, talk crap or sweat and run, my confidence is so low in regard women and I can be very shy :-(

plus come on, those woman who actually are single at these cons arnt looking for a tall fat shy dude like me, they seem to want twilight rock hard pecs or tennant look alikes lol

Not necessarily, they don't. I was attracted to my husband because I was incredibly shy around men (still am at times) but found it easy to talk to him. It doesn't matter how good-looking someone is (aesthetic appreciation aside!); attraction has very little to do with that. Besides, maybe they think you won't be interested in them, so that can work both ways. ;)

But you won't know unless you try. And remember, if you're standing next to someone in a queue, it's a pretty safe bet that you're both in it for the same reason. That's your starting topic right there. That's how I've struck up conversations with people (including you!) and ended up with some great friends as a result, so just take a deep breath and go for it. Better to try and see what happens than to go home cursing yourself for a missed opportunity.

• Replies 177
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thank you, fellow Herts resident :)

Being the only single person in my immediate circle of friends I used to get stressed out about it but now I focus on me and am trying to get out there more and hopefully something will click with someone but I'll have some good times in the meantime.

Oh and I don't have to deal with the arguments they sometimes do. lol!

You're welcome fellow Herts resident! :)

It IS nice to be free of arguments, you are certainly right there!

And for future reference, if ANYONE sees me at an event, feel free to say hi :) more friends the better I say!

there seem to be a few of us Herts residents around here *waves*

Hi to you too. Don't have it on my profile thingy but I'm in Harpenden.

And there's a link in my sig to my photo gallery with one or two pics of me there somewhere though I don't go spreading too many around. Should be at the next MK event and EMS so do say hi if you recognise me. Really helped make a great event getting to know one or two people finally, the more the merrier.

Im an odd one (yes in several ways :poki: ) in that I can be loud, up front and out there, but then I can be one of the shyest people around!

If I know someone, and I feel comfortable, or brave enough to be 'loud', then im quite up front and loud in the thick of things and will get right into convos and sometimes you cant shut me up! :P

But then if theres either a few people in the group I dont know, or particularly when speaking to new people or those I dont know, I just go right into a shell, and wont say much, if anything, and apparently can come off as being a bit rude unintentionally. So complete opposites really. :no:

Speaking to women I dont know seems to be especially problematic as ive had so many bad experiences with women in the past, I dont like starting convos for fear of being told to sod off and do one etc :firedevil:

Of course this means I get on well with people I generally meet online, but stick me in a room of people I dont know, and look for me in the corner trying to escape on my phone or something, so meeting people is person is a nightmare!

And the sad thing is now, I just dont have the time to meet girls, either at home or at events as im always so busy. Lfcc I didnt stop once all weekend and was running around all over the place so didnt get chance to talk to hardly anyone.

Also, I have the built in notion now that at 28 and never having had a relationship, no-one would want to date me now at my age and have resigned myself to lonely old age already lol (even though I know its probably nonsense :P )

Also, I have the built in notion now that at 28 and never having had a relationship, no-one would want to date me now at my age and have resigned myself to lonely old age already lol (even though I know its probably nonsense :P )

One word - pfffff

;)

Never too old for anything!!! I didn't start going to conventions till I was 28, two years later and I have finally found something to deserve being called a geek.

Relationship or not (not in my case) I'm happy - met soooo many new people at these events and am a different person because of them.

x

there seem to be a few of us Herts residents around here *waves*

Hi to you too. Don't have it on my profile thingy but I'm in Harpenden.

And there's a link in my sig to my photo gallery with one or two pics of me there somewhere though I don't go spreading too many around. Should be at the next MK event and EMS so do say hi if you recognise me. Really helped make a great event getting to know one or two people finally, the more the merrier.

I wont be at EMS this year sadly as I have another event that clashes but I do usually go to the MK events and of course LFCC so I'm sure I'll see you around and will remember to say hi.

I could try my luck to find love at conventions but unfortunately I'm a very shy person when it comes to girls, which is perhaps why I never had a girlfriend and I'm nearly 20. Although, I think socializing with them and hopefully developing a relationship with a girl there is the best chance I will probably get to find a girlfriend, since I didn't like any of the girls who were at my sixth form and I'm not sure if there will be any girls who share my interests at university when I start there in September.

I think meeting girls at conventions is a good idea, I could try my luck at Entertainment Media Show in October if I can.

Edited by adamthehorrorfan

Now, see the idea of Speed Dating scares me! Never been to any but the idea of "You have 3 minutes, GO!" And racking my brain to think of something to say to someone while I'm sitting there in complete silence... lol! :P;) All they'd get is "Hi I'm Tina" and that'd be about it :P:smile:

Now, see the idea of Speed Dating scares me! Never been to any but the idea of "You have 3 minutes, GO!" And racking my brain to think of something to say to someone while I'm sitting there in complete silence... lol! :P;) All they'd get is "Hi I'm Tina" and that'd be about it :P:smile:
I would say that as well, and my name is not even Tina!

Now, see the idea of Speed Dating scares me! Never been to any but the idea of "You have 3 minutes, GO!" And racking my brain to think of something to say to someone while I'm sitting there in complete silence... lol! :lol::blush: All they'd get is "Hi I'm Tina" and that'd be about it ;):help:

But it's a good starting point!

If you only have 3 minutes then ask them to tell you their favourite song, colour, film etc - or (and it's abit complicated) ask them to describe themselves only using song titles!

or use the old favourites - what's your favourite cheese, if you were an animal what would you be, would you rather be chased by 5 duck sized horses or one horse sized duck - you know the usual stuff!!

Now, see the idea of Speed Dating scares me! Never been to any but the idea of "You have 3 minutes, GO!" And racking my brain to think of something to say to someone while I'm sitting there in complete silence... lol! :lol::lol: All they'd get is "Hi I'm Tina" and that'd be about it :blush::help:

You sure about that? :lol:;);)

But it's a good starting point!

If you only have 3 minutes then ask them to tell you their favourite song, colour, film etc - or (and it's abit complicated) ask them to describe themselves only using song titles!

or use the old favourites - what's your favourite cheese, if you were an animal what would you be, would you rather be chased by 5 duck sized horses or one horse sized duck - you know the usual stuff!!

Knowing my luck they'd probably think I was mad, lol! :lol:

Edited by Tina197

easier said than done for those shy amoungst us, I freeze up, talk crap or sweat and run, my confidence is so low in regard women and I can be very shy :-(

That's ballcocks - you talk to me ;)

easier said than done for those shy amoungst us, I freeze up, talk crap or sweat and run, my confidence is so low in regard women and I can be very shy :-(

A fact that I pointed out to him. His 'shyness' is just a ploy :blush:

Yeah but everyone talks to you!!

Not everyone, otherwise there'd be no need for forum threads asking who I am, lol

Yeah but everyone talks to you!!

Not everyone, otherwise there'd be no need for forum threads asking who I am, lol

Oh you mean the who's that hot girl threads? :blush:

I'm getting old, there aren't as many as there used to be... I'm coming to terms with it, slowly :blush:

Oh you mean the who's that hot girl threads? :lol:

No that one's always about me :lol: I like to spend at least an hour of each event as Stuetta :gorgeous:

LOL ;)