Sunday Review

Not_Pennys_Ship

Buddy why does it matter so much to you?

Stevefromglasgow took some great pics of his boy and even managed to sneak in a quick one of Gazza! Lovely pics, glad you had such a good time after travelling so far.

Davidbrookes lighten up dude! :)

I'm sure others who read this thread can make their own opinion as well.

We are glad we attended and supported the event but I will definitely think twice next time as some are quick to judge if my 9 year old is breaking "rules".

Buddy why does it matter so much to you?

Stevefromglasgow took some great pics of his boy and even managed to sneak in a quick one of Gazza! Lovely pics, glad you had such a good time after travelling so far.

Davidbrookes lighten up dude! :)

DavidBrookes was cool about everything and thanks for your support mate, it's one of the mods that started this and I hope these comments aren't removed.

Thanks for the comment about our photos we had a great time, were you there today as well?

Yes mate was there yesterday to meet Carl Froch and today to meet 66 winners, Ron Atkinson & Tommy Doc. (I'm massive United fan)

Really enjoyed it, every single guest was so polite and was able to have a quick chat with most of them.

Great weekend in all!

Davidbrookes - who did you meet? What did you get signed?

My opinion is similar to that of David. On my part, I admit that it is it is partially mod biased, as well as being a personal opinion.

The reason being after each event there are a few complaints about the no photos/no posed photos when they are in effect (which is a debate that I'm not looking to open here again please). Unfortunately these situations aren't helped when, for whatever reason, people do end up with what resembles a posed photo that involves a guest where that rule was in effect, and then post it. It's difficult to explain to the other people who didn't get a photo, and are annoyed by this 'evidence', how somebody else has managed it despite the signs. I appreciate that you have explained the 'how' in this case.

I'm not saying to people don't post these types of photos. Just be aware that a others may become annoyed by it.

I hope that makes sense?

There weren't any signs up saying 'No posed photos' when I met Gazza, but I checked with the lady at the desk and she advised me that I could take a photo of him signing my item but that he would not look up for the photo so I respected that.

Thanks 1of2

It's far worse than instances where guests allow photos early in the day and stop later.

What I took wasn't a posed photo and like others I didn't see signs and I didn't ask Gazza to pose. I respected the advice given before entering the booth.

I'm used to comments like the one I received earlier and it's the mods who are often more unhappy than any other fans I've seen on these forums or blow things crazily out of proportion.

Interestingly enough one of my comments has been edited but at the end of the day the people using these forums are forming there own opinion. Had Paul decided to stick his tongue out or leap onto the desk then I couldn't have stopped that either. The guy just looked up and it was over in a flash.

Best wishes

Steve

Edited by steevofromglasgow

Hi Steve,

Sorry to butt in, but is it possible to leave this now.

Both David and Adrian made valid points, and it is not a case of mods "blowing it crazily out of proportion". Unfortunately, whether other fans agree with you or not, Rules are rules and if people are told no posed photographs, then that is just the way it is.

Yes, you were lucky and he glanced up at the time, but speaking as a showmasters crew member, it really is very difficult dealing with complaints from the people behind you in the queue if they have seen you get a "posed" photograph (I appreciate yours is not quite that, but I am explaining why moderators have to say what we do)

We want all attendees to have a fantastic time at the shows, and I am not accusing you of anything, but this is dragging on and more than a little unfair when David was doing his job. If he hadnt commented first, then I would have.

Interestingly enough one of my comments has been edited
The only edits that have been made to your posts have been by yourself, as denoted by the 'edited by' comments that appear underneath a post when a change is made :D

We then went to see the 66 players and I was going to get them all but as a few had the "no posed photos sign" behind them, we only decided to meet Jack Charlton who was in fine form. It could be a coincidence but as per LFACC the guests with the "no posed photos" sign weren't as busy as the others when we were there.

I guess the thing is that generally a posed photo involves the guest getting up; certainly if posed photos were allowed folks would normally expect them to get up. The '66 guys are all now in their late 60s or into their 70s. They played in a time when the game was much more physical and hard on the players, and the medical care more basic (and in some cases scandalously so). I'm sure that many of them played through injuries with no thought about their long-term effects, and I suspect that within the squad there are probably a few gammy knees, dodgy backs and other dings and niggles that would make it painful, unpleasant or infeasible to keep getting up for a photo every couple of minutes. And these are proud men (with reason to be proud) and sporting heroes, and I don't want them to have to have signs up saying "I'm not doing posed photos because my knees aren't up to it."

I know that getting pictures of your son with guests is a big thing for you (and they're a great set of pictures you've posted), so whilst the "no posed photos" thing may have been a disappointment for you, I'm sure you can understand why in this case there may be a very understandable reason.

Cracking picture with "the Doc" by the way - great choice of print for him to sign!

Thanks TomyT

I wasn't desperately after the 66 squad so it didn't matter too much. If it's a guest I'm so-so about and they don't do posed photos then we leave it. We've over 200 photos of my son with guests and we have a few of the guest signing with their head down and my son in the shot.

To us a posed photo can just be the guest sitting and smiling at my camera.

A lot of the 66 squad looked great for their age and it was brilliant to meet Jack Charlton.

Steve

Davidbrookes - who did you meet? What did you get signed?

I crewed at the event so met quite a few of them including the boxers and snooker players on Saturday and the 66 squad on Sunday. I got autographs from Steve Davis and Dennis Taylor. All of the guests were really really nice and great to work with and there wasn't any of that be nice for the attendees then horrible when they are gone. Yes they could be seen at all times but especially on Saturday after attendees had discussed previous events with the guests I was always getting told about the stories that surrounded them and the great times they had been involved in.

Hi Steve,

Sorry to butt in, but is it possible to leave this now.

Both David and Adrian made valid points, and it is not a case of mods "blowing it crazily out of proportion". Unfortunately, whether other fans agree with you or not, Rules are rules and if people are told no posed photographs, then that is just the way it is.

Yes, you were lucky and he glanced up at the time, but speaking as a showmasters crew member, it really is very difficult dealing with complaints from the people behind you in the queue if they have seen you get a "posed" photograph (I appreciate yours is not quite that, but I am explaining why moderators have to say what we do)

We want all attendees to have a fantastic time at the shows, and I am not accusing you of anything, but this is dragging on and more than a little unfair when David was doing his job. If he hadnt commented first, then I would have.

Hello

This is indeed getting silly now. Why ask me to leave something I never started and then as I've came across on other threads the mods ask for it to be dropped after they get the final word in.

This was a good event for us, now tarnished by this - if folk check the photo in question they can see my son wasn't even smiling in it because he never had time to.

None of the fans are disagreeing with me - DavidB kicked this off (again for me). No-one in the queue behind me complained (as you've said) and no-one on here is disagreeing with me (fan-wise). This shouldn't have gotten the level it did but it has and if the good folk who read these forums look back then they will see how it got to this stage and will form their own opinions. The person who started this has now gone quiet.

I've explained in this thread and others that it wasn't a posed photo and that I was obeying the rules, none of the other fans have been critical towards me or my actions and while I appreciate mods defend mods I want to let this drop - mods should stop trying to get the last word into a decent thread on a subject one of them started.

I'm finding it all rather embarrassing now for those involved. In future every photo I post now will clearly say if it was posed or not even if it's obvious.

Please don't edit or delete this - people should have the right to determine if I'm in the wrong or not.

Read the first comment at the top of the page - my wording and then the mod.

Has anyone else got a review of Sunday they can post below to change the subject

Steve

Edited by steevofromglasgow

• Moderators

Steve - my email is in my signature. I'd be very grateful for the opportunity to reply to some of your comments there, but don't want to be accused of having to have the last word. If you're interested in having a reasonable discussion then do contact me.

If we're not careful this is going to end up in a duel on Hampstead Heath with David's choice of swords or pistols and your seconds holding your jackets!

Anyway moving on, I think overall this was a really good event, aside from some ups and downs with one guest it seems everyone enjoyed themselves and more or less got what they came for, even if the signatures weren't on their first choice item.

I really hope the event was succsessful enough from a financial point of view for SM/ME to run another one in the future. Even if a standalone event isn't viable maybe it would be possible to have larger scale Sportsmania zones at events like LFACC, CM and EMS. I suspect had it not been for this one falling so soon after what was probably an expensive LFACC for a lot of people this show would have had even more attendees.

I hope that they persevere with it a bit longer, regardless of if this event was a success or not.

Maybe one suggestion for the future could be combining it with a programme fair. I know Milton Keynes doesn't much of a history (see franchise debate), but through local clubs and those in London and Birmingham, you should have plenty of interest.

For those that came along, I'm the frazzled blonde who was on the cash desk. I'm not going to say much, but I would like to really thank all those who stood and waited for him to arrive patiently, and all those who accepted with good grace that he was not signing shirts or posing for photos and to those left in my queue when he left so suddenly I am really sorry.

I'm posting this mainly to correct peoples misconceptions on Steve's photo. Hopefully my take on it can end this discussion with no hard feelings on either side.

Steve and Euan came to the desk and asked about posed photos. When they were told by me that he was not posing for photos but allowing them quite happily whilst he was signing, they went away deciding not to meet him at all. About half hour later they returned and said that they wanted to meet him anyway and would take a photo whilst he was signing as I had told them they could do. It was my advice to Steve, (as I know from reading on here, that the photo is normally of Euan meeting the guest), that if he let Euan give Gazza the photo for signing etc and was ready with the camera he could get a photo of the two of them together.

It was not breaking any rules and is something as guest assistants/cash we often suggest to people, "get your friend to take the picture whilst you are stood in front of the guest and just remember to look at the camera whilst it's being taken!" It oftens means that one of a pair doesn't meet the guest, this kind of photo taking doesn't take any extra time as the attendee is still moved on the minute the autograph is signed, whether their friend got to take the photo or not.

Madmonster - you are an absolute star and thank you for taking the time to write.

We've collected over 200 autos over the years and there are 3 or 4 we have of ewan standing near the guest signing so it's what we were expecting yesterday. I took 3 photos in the space of a few seconds - when I snapped the third time Paul had literally just glanced up. We've been doing this for several years now (Ewan was two when we started) and I was already expecting your suggestion before it was made. If Paul hadn't been allowing any photos then we wouldn't have bought the autograph (which was the reason I decided against Clive Braker at LFACC).

I apologise to all for having this dragged out so long, I was upset by the initial comment which insinuated we were doing something sneaky.

The crew at both LFACC and Sportsmania were brilliant this month and we were delighted to make the journey and attend/support both.

You've no idea how much your last post has meant.

Steve and Ewan