Torchwood - Miracle Day

jacobite2002uk

just watched episode 2

humm, miracle day isnt bad, it just isnt very good, finally saw the plane im welsh scene and it felt so out of place and staged, that just wouldnt happen in real life how it played out.

felt like the whole hour was on the plan with only a portion the actual poisoning bit lol

and rex, my god he is a complete flipper, such a jerk and also not very well acted by MP. his character also flips back and forth between being on TW side and not depending on what mood the git is in.

jack is good but feels like he is hardly in it.

and whats with the PR bird, is she just after a quick buck or is she somehow involved?

bill pullmans character is really fun, though considering how devious and calculating and evil he is, are we really meant to believe he wouldnt already be exploiting this financially?

and why does jack say he is american? when was jack american, yes he has there accent but he wasnt even born on earth! and it was said more serious not tongue in cheek like the doctor in the tv movie "well yes I suppose i am"

and all he wants is a coke? this is jack lol

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

just watched episode 2

humm, miracle day isnt bad, it just isnt very good, finally saw the plane im welsh scene and it felt so out of place and staged, that just wouldnt happen in real life how it played out.

felt like the whole hour was on the plan with only a portion the actual poisoning bit lol

and rex, my god he is a complete flipper, such a jerk and also not very well acted by MP. his character also flips back and forth between being on TW side and not depending on what mood the git is in.

jack is good but feels like he is hardly in it.

and whats with the PR bird, is she just after a quick buck or is she somehow involved?

bill pullmans character is really fun, though considering how devious and calculating and evil he is, are we really meant to believe he wouldnt already be exploiting this financially?

and why does jack say he is american? when was jack american, yes he has there accent but he wasnt even born on earth! and it was said more serious not tongue in cheek like the doctor in the tv movie "well yes I suppose i am"

and all he wants is a coke? this is jack lol

That is what hubby said about Jack!!

I gotta say, I waited and watched the first ep on BBC, but just couldn't get into it. For now I've given up with the waiting and just download on a Saturday morning so that I don't have to waste my nights off watching TW.

I do feel like I'm deserting a sinking ship, and that having been a fan from the beginning I should at least have given it more of a chance, but Rex and Esther are just unbearable to watch, Gwen is making me grate my teeth constantly, and even Jack has lost some of his appeal this time around. In fact, the only character I can watch without wanting to switch off is Oswald Danes and it's only because I want to know how his story ends that I'm sticking with the show.

The news that Torchwood may not be renewed any time soon is brilliant as far as I'm concerned. The show should have finished with CoE when the stories of the original cast were wrapped up in a nice little package.

Xx

• 4 weeks later...

ive finally caught up with TW, am I the only one still watching?

well, there were 2 fantastic eps, the ones around the investigation into the camps and with vera, after a few more dull eps. then we got an ep centered on jack (at last) but half of it was flashback, and half of that was pointless and dull, sigh.

but I am really hooked into what is going on, who is behind it and a couple of the eps were really good, but my main issue is, it doesnt feel like TW because (until now) jack is barely in it or barely the lead. he is also a bit of a wimp at the start, at one point he says he longs for death when talking to oswald, later he cries I dont want to die. this confused me, although his convo with gwen, ill rip your skin from your face was awesome!

rex im starting to be ok with, I still dont like him much, but I dont hate him like before.

love vera and esther.

something annoying is how easy phone convos seem to be, one ep gwen and rhys are chating like no mans business even during ops. felt a tad unrealistic.

there are a couple of really powerful scenes, most revolving around vera in those 2 eps and in those and the last ep jack finally gets some good dialogue to chew on.

the flashbacks have set jack to be more prominent in the next eps which is good, cos for alot of the start he was just window dressing, which is why in large part it didnt feel like tw.

I do have another cripe though, why is jack so totally gay in this? he is bi or tri or whatever, he will go with anything if he is attracted to them lol, but in this he is so gay its crazy lol. (now ive not got an issue with a totally gay lead, but jack is into all ppl, so why is he being portrayed as only into men?)

although it was funny when rex says "do you turn everyone around you gay?" lol when the big bad landlord with tats ect starts giving "fantastic restaurant advice" lol

I'm still watching it too. I like it, but it's a bit too American for my liking, which would be fine if it wasn't Torchwood or another British show. Hopefully it gets renewed for another series and it is moved back to the UK, but even then it may not feel like proper Torchwood as most of the main characters are dead.

• 2 weeks later...

After a couple of episodes I wasn't sure whether this really worked, but having stuck with it, I'm really enjoying it now. Yes, it is different, the additional budget and the involvement of Starz has made it into something different but equally good.

As we get to find out more about the characters of Rex and Esther then I've kind of warmed to them.

I always skip the bit at the end with what is coming next, that is with all shows, not just this, I want it to be a surprise !

It's Torchwood Jim, but not as we know it.

This series needs something to MAKE it Torchwood, more than having the characters of Jack and Gwen in it. OK they have crowbarred Rhys and Andy in, but this nomadic, transatlantic muddle doesn't go anywhere. I don't care about Rex and Esther, the Kitzinger woman is a cartoon villian played by someone who probably couldn't spell actor, and the only eye candy (Vera) didn't stand a chance from the start.

Normally I'd complain but I'll be honest the series has actually grown on me.

I mean Oswald Danes that was a brave choice of character to make they did a brilliant Job. The characters for Rex and Esther are just so predictably American I can't help but laugh but that's not a bad thing at all. I'll be interested to see how the whole thing ends up.

This series needs something to MAKE it Torchwood, more than having the characters of Jack and Gwen in it....OK they have crowbarred Rhys and Andy in, but this nomadic, transatlantic muddle doesn't go anywhere. I don't care about Rex and Esther, the Kitzinger woman is a cartoon villian played by someone who probably couldn't spell actor, and the only eye candy (Vera) didn't stand a chance from the start.

This.

In RTD's desperate rush to get into America, he's diluted what was TW is into this mess of bad writing, weak story and incredibly bad acting....yes Mekhi Phifer, I'm looking at you!

From what I understand of it, this is RTD's version of pure TW, all the story, writers, number of eps and cast that he wanted. TW should have kept here in the UK, with the BBC...because clearly they still had a reign in on some of his ridiculous excesses.

Season 4 should have had James Masters back as Captain John Hart (it is a well known snippet that JM lobbied hard to be back in TW), with Cop Andy moved up to a full cast member and both as new TW agents. It could still have been the same story, but this time with all the 'stand-alone's that make up a well balanced show, and the better cast.

Edited by SlippDigby

I finally watched the first three episodes, as they were about to expire on iPlayer, and was quite pleasantly surprised - I can't claim to have been a regular Torchwood viewer, but it was good to see Captain Jack again, and the basic idea of it all is intriguing, with the "morphic field". Quite a new angle on "Nobody dies today!" Everyone else is immortal, but the poor Captain suddenly finds he isn't...

US budgets and production values make a different kind of show, though the much-hyped use of helicopters didn't really amount to much. ;)

So what, 1 ep left? Torchwood MD has been overall a bit of a let down, only plus points really, Vera, Danes and gwen saying bo****ks alot

the reveal of the blessing as a hole across the earth looked and was better than I had feared, I was worried it would be some flesh creature the size of the whale from series 1 lol.

problem is, its great we dont know whats going on, but with 1 ep left and new characters still appearing, thats alot of resolution to put in 1 ep, and leaves you thinking this is gonna be another RTD silly reverse switch ending.

is it 1 ep? ive lost track, it cant be many left

I also have 2 major issues with the script.

1, I refuse to believe (especially western) society would fall so fast into genocide and burn the living. especially with the history of nazi genocide. and with hardly anyone fighting back. I mean they take gwens dad, jack and all are there, they are taking him to be burned and they watch and let it happen, WTF? thats not the jack and gwen we know. ppl would fight back, not just hide, then take it when caught, there would be a resistance.

2, jack is so poorly written this series, he has almost nothing to do, he doesnt have any ideas, no leadership, I mean characters just cut him off mid sentence when he tries to say something (even eshter) and he takes it. aside the flash back ep he is barely on screen in most eps. and this is why it doesnt feel like torchwoood, I mean, man he isnt even prominent on the promotion, its bloody I cant act rex front and centre.

john delance is cool in it and the couple of eps with vera and the camps were good. I cant see the americans sticking with this, especially as there is hardly any action.

could the brave new world torchwood exercise from RTD rather than being the rebirth to something grander actually be the death of torchwood?

personally I hope it returns to bbc and a proper series.

Edited by timelord81r

So what, 1 ep left? Torchwood MD has been overall a bit of a let down, only plus points really, Vera, Danes and gwen saying bo****ks alot

the reveal of the blessing as a hole across the earth looked and was better than I had feared, I was worried it would be some flesh creature the size of the whale from series 1 lol.

problem is, its great we dont know whats going on, but with 1 ep left and new characters still appearing, thats alot of resolution to put in 1 ep, and leaves you thinking this is gonna be another RTD silly reverse switch ending.

is it 1 ep? ive lost track, it cant be many left

I also have 2 major issues with the script.

1, I refuse to believe (especially western) society would fall so fast into genocide and burn the living. especially with the history of nazi genocide. and with hardly anyone fighting back. I mean they take gwens dad, jack and all are there, they are taking him to be burned and they watch and let it happen, WTF? thats not the jack and gwen we know. ppl would fight back, not just hide, then take it when caught, there would be a resistance.

2, jack is so poorly written this series, he has almost nothing to do, he doesnt have any ideas, no leadership, I mean characters just cut him off mid sentence when he tries to say something (even eshter) and he takes it. aside the flash back ep he is barely on screen in most eps. and this is why it doesnt feel like torchwoood, I mean, man he isnt even prominent on the promotion, its bloody I cant act rex front and centre.

john delance is cool in it and the couple of eps with vera and the camps were good. I cant see the americans sticking with this, especially as there is hardly any action.

could the brave new world torchwood exercise from RTD rather than being the rebirth to something grander actually be the death of torchwood?

personally I hope it returns to bbc and a proper series.

I has not been that bad!

I agree it is very Americanized at the moment and yes I feel it has lost its Welshness.

Most of the new characters are fine - Alexaia has been brilliant and I really liked the Dr. Its a shame she was dispatched so soon.

Yesterdays episode was one of the better ones but I do agree with you that if it comes back, it should come back with individual stories and back in Wales.

Personally, as tyhe long term fan that I am, I think the lack of a base for the team has been one of the major let downs of the series. The story has gone on a little too long as well.

However, Eve has been brilliant as has Bill and I hope that they come to a Hub soon.

last ep watched, I won't reveal anything but my god I won't watch the next installment...maybe the first and the last episodes, it's all you need.

I agree with Robert with everything he said, I love Torchwood so much but not this, this is just Torchwood by name and just happens to have a couple of people in it, that were left over from original TW, Jack isnt Jack anymore, Jack used to captivate you and this "Oh yes!" but now I just think "Oh No!" whats with the hair, the weight and the clear work that he has had done....sorry lost my train of thought there, BUT it's not the Cap Jack Harkness that women want to bed and so do men, there was none of that, Jack once said he would sleep with anything not in this case, we were treated to some quite graphic scenes that quite frankly were not needed, if this is what the Americans want to see then I would sooner stick with Emmerdale!.

I am not saying for one moment there is anything wrong in Jack being Gay but when a character was written differently it's hard to get used to the new one, nor am I saying all I want to see it Jack get off with anything left right and centre, I am pointing out this is something that was missing.

The only good thing was Gwen and Reece, when they were on screen it was like old TW but then Rex comes in and spoils it, he can't act, I just want to punch him, he is all shouty and stuff.

I truly hope the BBC has more input next time because to call this TW is a shame and I pray to god they don't do it with DW, as that really will be the end.

Also, I thought Starz had this amazing budget, as Robert said it looks like a 'a hole' all the way down, the special effects were rubbish I could do better on my laptop!

Rant over, sorry if you don't agree but thats 'moo'!!

Edited by alisonloub

I will be the first to say absoultly brilliant i hope there is more episodes AMAZING

I would like to agree with Starbug; an excellent finale and a thoroughly enjoyable season!

Seriously? You must be really easily pleased! Aside from contradicting his own writing about Jack, how he came about and how he is Immortal...it was slow to the point of tedium, nothing anyone did made any sense at all ever, there was an episode which was just sex for 48 minutes of the running time with no real need whatsoever, it was badly written and badly acted, the references to Wales were pointlessly forced into the narrative and the reason as to how Rex ends up how he does is utter crap, Mekhi Phifer was terrible...the list just goes on and on.

It is a surprise to me then that the only character in the whole show that has any honest integrity about his is Bill Pullman's take on Oswald Danes.

In a show that has a proven top CIA field tested active operative, a top echelon CIA analyst, a top doctor, the only remaining fully human original TORCHWOOD member and a man who is immortal amongst its members, it's saying alot when the best character and the only one with any emotional soul...is the condemned paedophile.

Everyone is entitled to their own opinion, and if you didn't like it, that's unfortunate. The episode that had a ton of sex in was slower paced than other episodes, I have to admit at the time thinking I wish something would happen relevant to the plot, but it turned out to be (ish) in the end. I really liked the 2 american members added to the TW team, and I didn't find the acting in the show bad at all. I have to say I actually agree that the Oswald character was done REALLY well, kept twisting and turning, possibly the best character in the story. As for the portrayal of Jack, I don't see what was contradictory at all? It is well established that Jack's immortality stems from The Parting of the Ways

Well now the final as been on over here, I can vent abit more.

To use Torchwood as their name is like calling a dog a hen imo, they should have just called it something different and then drafted Gwen and Jack in as 'speclists' or something, Torchwood is an anagram of Doctor Who isn't it, when you watched Torchwood you could imagine the doctor popping up but not now, now it's far too adult, it was before but this is even worse.

RTD should have killed Rhys off and the baby, then all connection to wales would be gone, would rhys really survive over in the US, really?! shame Andy will be out of a job too, I really liked him, more than frakking Rex, and what about Jack being a one off, poor chap isn't anymore now.

All we're going to have is Rex snarling abit more moaning he can't die, he can't win can he!!, fantastic Esther died, as she was another one that annoyed me.

I missed cardiff, I missed Janet, I missed the hub, I missed seeing the bay!!!!

I know things have to change but why change something if it isn't broken...although it is now isn't it as I won't be watching the new series (maybe the first and last episodes).

Don't get me started on these 'Speical effects' oh starz has so much more money, they spent a fortune, I could do better on my laptop! rubbish, all their money went into getting Bill Pullman!!!.

I love Gwen and Jack, Always will but where is my box set...I need real Torchwood!!!!

Everyone is entitled to their own opinion, and if you didn't like it, that's unfortunate. The episode that had a ton of sex in was slower paced than other episodes, I have to admit at the time thinking I wish something would happen relevant to the plot, but it turned out to be (ish) in the end. I really liked the 2 american members added to the TW team, and I didn't find the acting in the show bad at all. I have to say I actually agree that the Oswald character was done REALLY well, kept twisting and turning, possibly the best character in the story. As for the portrayal of Jack, I don't see what was contradictory at all? It is well established that Jack's immortality stems from The Parting of the Ways

OK, I can see your point so, let me rephrase...

Rex would be much better if he was actually given something better to do. I will admit that I have seen MP in several other things and he has usually been quite good in what he has done, so I can only assume that this zero characterisation is not entirely his fault...he just was not given anyting other than 2d chiche to work with.

Which is a shame really.

Oh look, a RTD reverse switch, & what the world forgets the genocide? And REX? oh dear, torchwood miracle day, what a load of a**t! the odd great scene, a couple of decent eps involving vera in the camp. aside that, diluted, dumbed down, silly, lazy crap where the lead is barely in it.

and to be honest, 20 minutes into the finale I was bored. Id started to forget what the hell is going. cos Im sure jack said earlier his blood has nothing to do with his imortality, which is correct no, super rose didnt give him super blood, and how blood could do that anyway makes no sense. so why is the entire finale based around his blood? his blood in the crack changed its make up to make everyone imortal, (why does this make jack mortal again?) and his then mortal blood resets it back.

and how did they get all of rex's blood to change to jacks? not that it matters cos jack said his immortality had nothing to do with his blood!!

voice overs in a finale? always a bad idea.

and what was it with giving danes that speach about wanting to chase after the girl he raped and killed before, wasnt his character on some sort of redemption path in this? are we meant to care about him, cos I didnt.

how did kissinger survive? the floor blew up from under her!

effects? well considering this was a joint us production, were crap.

lol plan B? what theres another huge magic crap across the earth that NO ONE with all out technology, including torchwood could detect?

humm.

overall, very amateur I thought. the series. part of me thinks this might be the death of torchwood, but then part of me thinks the general american public might lap it up. who knows.

also 2 major flaws, jack has almost nothing to do all series and he is meant to be the lead. and i just dont buy the world would descend so fast and so cooperatively into mass killings in the style of the nazi death camps, sorry, this would not happen, not with ppl not actively fighting back! jack and gwen just watch as they take gwens dad to be burned, are we meant to believe they wouldnt act? that NO ONE would act? not that I believe the world would descend to that, sorry, dont buy it.

and whens its all over, everyone is all happy, funerals, ect ect. what about the mass murder? the death camps? what, no one cares?

good points?

veras character.

eshters character.

jack on the very very few occasions he had something to do or say was good (car scene with gwen!)

although the finale was crap, the series did keep you guessing.

john delance was kick ass.

aside the odd little moment, thats about it, massive let down.

series 1/2/coe were great, this was crap!

good points?

veras character.

eshters character.

jack on the very very few occasions he had something to do or say was good (car scene with gwen!)

although the finale was crap, the series did keep you guessing.

john delance was kick ass.

aside the odd little moment, thats about it, massive let down.

series 1/2/coe were great, this was crap!

A very well thought through summary and overall one I find hard to disagree with. Apart from a few performances and a few really good scenes, I really wasn't gripped by it though I did want to find out what it was all about but felt kind of let down in many ways at the end.

John de Lancie was awesome and gave it a real kick up the backside when he was on screen. But I did feel Jack and Gwen were almost just extras tagging along most of the time. Not right.

Kind of ok but not a patch on previous Torchwood stories.

I did enjoy Torchwood very much i will admit that it was missing something it was no where near as good as the Classis eps but persenly i think that every one was missing Ianto Jones i for one was certernly missing him

Edited by Starbug

I did enjoy Torchwood very much i will admit that it was missing something it was no where near as good as the Classis eps but persenly i think that every one was missing Ianto Jones i for one was certernly missing him

Nope, I didn't miss him. You can't stick with the same characters the whole time...