the dvds & blurays

timelord81r

Ok so, im big trek fan, got em all of vhs. but when it came to the dvds (aside the movies) I had to pick and choose cos man where they expensive, 50-100 bloody quid for ages, thats crazy. over the years ive bought them in sales and slim lines, so now dvd wise i only need half of voyager (never a massive VGR fan) and TOS 2&3, however with the original series im thinking of going the remastered bluray route which has the remastered and original versions. has anyone got these on bluray and can tell me if its worth the current 50 quid price tag?

thanks

Rob

Worth it - in a word - yes

I have TOS on DVD and Blu-Ray. For me the remastering has given the episodes a new lease of life. The colours are restored, the overall picture is very sharp. When I got the DVD's they were so much better than I was used to (tv/video). Now the blu-ray version wipes the floor with that. In fact in some cases they have done too good a job because sometimes it highlights the makeup/costume/set quality of the times. Also removed are 99.99% of scratches/blemishes/etc which are in literally every frame on the DVD versions. There are still a few remaining, and ironically because they have done such a good job of getting rid of the majority you notice the reminader even more than on the DVD. However there are very few of these left - less than one per episode on average

I must admit that prior to purchase my main concern was that the new special effects would look out of place. However I am impressed, it would have been so easy for them to go over the top with them (like inserting a cgi Gorn) but they didn't. I would recommend the Blu-Ray version without hesitation to any fan. An essential purchase for a hardcore fan.

Value for money is really a personal opinion. I have purchased £15 DVD's before and thought afterwards that was a waste of money. With this purchase that thought has never entered my mind, and they cost more when I got them than compared to the current price. Only you can say if you are prepared to wait longer for the price to drop more, which no doubt it will. How long that will take and by how much....who knows!

I haven't gotten around to purchasing the movies yet.

Edited by 1of2

Forgot to mention that contrary to what you may have been hoping for - Naoko Mori has not been digitally inserted as the orion slave girl.

she will be tonight in my dreams ;-)

yep def want to get the bluray of this, and the movies as the movies are also the dvd extras plus the new stuff unlike the rereleased dvds which only have the new stuff, shame there are no commentaries on TOS

yep def want to get the bluray of this, and the movies as the movies are also the dvd extras plus the new stuff unlike the rereleased dvds which only have the new stuff, shame there are no commentaries on TOS
What is the new stuff for the movies? Edited by 1of2

What is the new stuff for the movies?

they have new commentaries, not from the actors though aside frakes and sirtis on insurrection, some new featuretes and some fluff, but there is a hour plus documentary sit down style interview of whoppi interviewing shatner, nimoy, stewert and frakes called captains summit.

Ok so, im big trek fan, got em all of vhs. but when it came to the dvds (aside the movies) I had to pick and choose cos man where they expensive, 50-100 bloody quid for ages, thats crazy.

Actually it wasn't crazy at all - £85 for a season of something that would have cost at least £130 on VHS was an absolute bargain - it was just that more recent series came and went on DVD for peanuts, bringing prices down. Trek was the reasonable one - it was everything else that was crazy.

No one queried paying more for a new 90 minute film on DVD (say £20) than the same on video (say £14) since they were sometimes getting extras. Yet with TV shows people seem to think £40 should get you 20 hours of TV.

Ok so, im big trek fan, got em all of vhs. but when it came to the dvds (aside the movies) I had to pick and choose cos man where they expensive, 50-100 bloody quid for ages, thats crazy.

Actually it wasn't crazy at all - £85 for a season of something that would have cost at least £130 on VHS was an absolute bargain - it was just that more recent series came and went on DVD for peanuts, bringing prices down. Trek was the reasonable one - it was everything else that was crazy.

No one queried paying more for a new 90 minute film on DVD (say £20) than the same on video (say £14) since they were sometimes getting extras. Yet with TV shows people seem to think £40 should get you 20 hours of TV.

it was crazy for the time it was released, you could get an entire season of most tv shows at the time for under 50 some 20 and trek was nearer 90, yes in the days of vhs we and I paid well well over 100 for entire series but that was the price of almost all at the time, I wasnt gonna pay 85 for a series of trek when all the other series i was buying were under 50, I waited and got them at a more reasonable price.

movies are the same, when dvd first came out to how it is now there is a massive price cap, far cheaper generally now, thats how it goes,

but just look at farscape (forgetting about the forthcoming box set release) take a month ago and ive never seen any different for all the years I was looking, a series of farscape would be at its very lowest 40 quid (only saw this once for series 3 i think) and at its highest 100!! and mostly around 80 all the other times, thats outrageous when you could pick up an entire series of stargate or csi for under 20 quid! 100 bloody quid, same with trek aside the slimlines they were still selling for 70-85 a box set. crazy. yes in the past I spent what over 200 on a series of ds9 on vhs, but you couldnt buy a series of tv like trek on vhs any cheaper aside second hand at carboots or such like. thats the choice we make, but if trek is released for 85 a set and ive just bought stargate for 17, then I aint forking out 85, I will wait till it drops in price.

same with doctor who dvds, I never (aside war games cos its my fav) buy it at RRP when its released, wait a month or 3 and you can pick em up for a fiver! i got romans and rescue for 4.99 a month after released at what 25 quid.

they have new commentaries, not from the actors though aside frakes and sirtis on insurrection, some new featuretes and some fluff, but there is a hour plus documentary sit down style interview of whoppi interviewing shatner, nimoy, stewert and frakes called captains summit.

Ah, I was wondering if you meant there were scenes enchanced/altered/restored to the actual films.

it was crazy for the time it was released, you could get an entire season of most tv shows at the time for under 50 some 20 and trek was nearer 90, yes in the days of vhs we and I paid well well over 100 for entire series but that was the price of almost all at the time, I wasnt gonna pay 85 for a series of trek when all the other series i was buying were under 50, I waited and got them at a more reasonable price.

Even TNG must have been 8 years ago, being able to find the sets for £60 online at time of release was the main thing that started me shopping online. I think I preordered all 7 seasons in one go!

I don't really like boxsets though - not enough extras and its finding the time to watch the episodes. If you think of the 600 episodes of Trek I have on DVD, I doubt I've watched more than 80. I wished they'd been treated more like the DW. Slower but with better extras.

Is it just me that feels that remastering for BluRay was bad news, yes it looks terrific and as mentioned earlier, the DVD was already a massive step up from TV and video recordings.

However, i like the old original versions on DVD, thats what i grew up with (albeit in a worse quality state).

Nothing against improving things but for me, i don't want improved effects on these classic shows.

The directors cut of The Motion Picture was a good tho, but for the original series, their charm for me is seeing them as they were originally made.

I agree to a point, about the new special effects. I have finished watching the first series with the original effects and am now re-watching the new effects enabled. The new effects do enhance it...but the traditionalist in me still prefers the original effects.

With the actual remastering though I am glad it was done. I am too young to have seen the original broadcasts so this is speculation. I would assume that what was transmitted had no scratches/blemishes/etc and was not faded. That just happened naturally over the course of time until the point that I first watched it. So for me it is just a restoration back to how it was orginally supposed to be shown.

Edited by 1of2

Think i saw the second run as a kid - in the mid 70's and to be honest i didn't notice the state of the film in those days, after all it was the norm back then!

Also transmission etc took so much away from it, i think the DVD's are as close to what the original appearance of the show was actually like.

The Blu Ray (ignoring the effects) probably surpass the quality of the original prints (if thats possible).

I recall when i first watched the DVD's I actually missed the crackles in teh soundtrack and scratches in the films, so long i was used to the BBC videoed transmissions LOL!

Also, saw many scenes for the first time as the BBC sometimes made a few cuts. The Man Trap was one which suffered with censoring!

dont the blurays have the remastered and the original versions including the original mono track?
There is the option to watch the remastered version with either the original effects or the new effects. So there is no 'original version' with scratches etc.

Audio can be either the original mono or the new DTS 7.1 track.

Think i saw the second run as a kid - in the mid 70's and to be honest i didn't notice the state of the film in those days, after all it was the norm back then!

Also transmission etc took so much away from it, i think the DVD's are as close to what the original appearance of the show was actually like.

The Blu Ray (ignoring the effects) probably surpass the quality of the original prints (if thats possible).

I recall when i first watched the DVD's I actually missed the crackles in teh soundtrack and scratches in the films, so long i was used to the BBC videoed transmissions LOL!

Also, saw many scenes for the first time as the BBC sometimes made a few cuts. The Man Trap was one which suffered with censoring!

I can't recall exactly when I first saw it...late 70's/early 80's I think. Like you I didn't notice any of the imperfections. It was just 'wow!'

I didn't realise some scenes were cut. I do know that a few episodes weren't shown at all byt the BBC for a long time, Plato's Stepchildren, Whom Gods Destroy, and one more I think.