Star wars Saga on Bluray

danvader123@hotmail.co.uk

Confirming earlier reports (see blu-ray.com, April 17), George Lucas himself announced today that the Star Wars films will be released on Blu-ray in 2011, in a six-movie box set. Speaking at the Celebration V convention in Orlando, Lucas said: "I wish I could say it was coming out this year, but it will come out next year." New, extensive special features will be featured, including documentaries, vintage behind-the-scenes moments, interviews, retrospectives and never-before-seen footage from the Lucasfilm archives.

One of those special features, a deleted scene from Return of the Jedi, premiered at the convention. In it, Luke Skywalker is seen asembling his new lightsaber before going to the palace of Jabba the Hutt. Check it out at http://www.blu-ray.com/news/?id=4996

"Blu-ray is the absolute best way to experience Star Wars at home – in pristine high definition," said George Lucas. "The films have never looked or sounded better."

In an interview with the New York Times, Lucas said that the saga hadn't been announced before because he was waiting for mass adoption of the Blu-ray format. "We've been wanting to do it as soon as we possibly could, but we just wanted to do it when enough people would be able to buy it and see it," said the filmmaker.

Lucas also clarified that the original trilogy movies will be included as they were shown theatrically in 1997 and released on DVD in 2004 - i.e., the original versions will not be included. "You have to go through and do a whole restoration on it, and you have to do that digitally," he said. "It's a very, very expensive process to do it. So when we did the transfer to digital, we only transferred really the upgraded version."

Thanks to forum member and moderator "Diesel," forum member and disc reviewer Ken Brown, and forum member "uther."

Betamax - check

VHS - check

DVD - check

Blu-ray - mediate on this I will, (sigh), mine! Mine! Mine! MINE!!:thumbup:

So that scene does exist then! I wonder what, if any, other unseen footage will also be included in the special features.

Edited by 1of2

ive lost count how many copies ive got of the star wars saga, its alot and even more versions were released, bloody shameful, but yes ill buy the bluray also. maybe they will give some decent actor commentaries on the prequels and maybe finally we will see all this "lost" footage from the original trilogy that lucas has been hiding from us

ive lost count how many copies ive got of the star wars saga, its alot and even more versions were released, bloody shameful, but yes ill buy the bluray also. maybe they will give some decent actor commentaries on the prequels and maybe finally we will see all this "lost" footage from the original trilogy that lucas has been hiding from us

Yeah I forget how many times i've bought these then special editions etc etc, although I am a sucker for deleted scenes so will buy them! I bet that addawayn is fuming spending so long cleaning them up and they will have tioi do it for blu ray!

Leia+slave outfit in HD = A happy me!

:D

As long as they put Sebastian Shaw back in at the end of Jedi and get rid of the awful Haydn Christensen i'll be happy and buy it

Edited by Lennybear

BUT......won't there be 3-D versions in about ten years time also?

Sorry Mr Lucas, but as the 'original theatricals' are not included, I'll stick to the DVD's I have, as they are the ones I remember from schooldays and to be fair the DVD's do look great.

As long as they put Alec Guinness back in at the end of Jedi and get rid of the awful Haydn Christensen i'll be happy and buy it

it wasnt guinness who was removed it was was him name the adult anakin, although i liked the idea of merging the 2 trilogies, this was a poor move, it looked wrong, although I understand it was meant to show them as they where when they died and you could argue thats how anakin was when he died as anakin, it didnt work,

BUT......won't there be 3-D versions in about ten years time also?

Sorry Mr Lucas, but as the 'original theatricals' are not included, I'll stick to the DVD's I have, as they are the ones I remember from schooldays and to be fair the DVD's do look great.

humm, I love the originals, but I kinda love the special additions also, in fact i havnt watched the originals for some time, i think the SE are really good and i love extra stuff especially original extra stuff like the jabba scene in new hope although the cgi i hope will be bettered for the bluray, so yer loved the SE apart from the travesty of greedo shooting first, that still makes no sense to me and looks rubbish, han knew greedo was gonna shoot so took him out before greedo had a chance, solo is cool and bad but a good man deep down which luke leia and the rebellion bring out in him, changing that scene makes no sense, greedo is a bounty hunter and he misses from point blank range? i still cant believe lucas hasnt changed that back, i dont know anyone who likes the change, you can find some fans who prefer the SE and some who prefer the originals, but all hate the greedo shooting first change.

but yes both versions should be released together but they say the originals are very poor quality especially for blu ray, but i think they still should be as a sd extra on the discs at least

I bought the limited edition (That are still available!) that include the remastered and original versions and dont see why they can't include the original dvd at the least. I hope addaways revisited is more like the blu ray release as its cleaner and is better done with han shot 1st and greedo blinking and better facial features etc. The technology is there to really get a final ultimate version for the forthcoming versions. If there is a 2nd blu ray release i'm gonna hunt down george lucaus and stick a taun taun up his darkside!

:D

• 3 months later...

I won't go to see them..it's already ridiculous the number of versions or formats that there are.

Originals remain the best.

you wont buy them?

the 3d versions i will go and see in the cinema, even though im not a fan of 3d, im curious to see how lucas does it

• 4 weeks later...

you know what I want from the blurays, I want both versions side by side or overlapped in a PIP track/maximum movie mode with lucas and co commenting on both versions, thats what I want in my bluray.

SW on blu is available to preorder from Amazon now.

Prices are $70 per prequel/original set or $140 for the complete saga. I have no idea if it's available to preorder for you guys yet.

I would wager that scene will only be on the 'complete saga' version currently.

Edit: No doubt there will be further releases in a year or so which may see the extras included on that. Probably a 3d version at some point as well.

Edited by 1of2

More details here.

http://www.starwars.com/themovies/saga/pre...uray/index.html

Three sets will be available to buy, prequel, original trilogy, and complete saga (which includes 3 extra discs, comprising of 30hrs of features, deleted/alternate scenes, etc)

the ROTJ saber colours still look wrong in the trailer

ill get the complete set, even if the prequels are FAR inferior, there still fun with the odd moment of awesome, and I have a soft spot for phantom. but the original trilogy is the main thing with the deleted scenes and hopefully a commentary from hamil, fisher and ford or at least new interviews. on the prequels cast input would be nice also,

• 3 months later...

A few more details released today

STAR WARS: THE COMPLETE SAGA ON BLU-RAY is presented in widescreen with 6.1 DTS Surround Sound. Special features include:

DISC ONE: STAR WARS: EPISODE I THE PHANTOM MENACE

•Audio Commentary with George Lucas, Rick McCallum, Ben Burtt, Rob Coleman, John Knoll, Dennis Muren and Scott Squires

•Audio Commentary from Archival Interviews with Cast and Crew

DISC TWO: STAR WARS: EPISODE II ATTACK OF THE CLONES

•Audio Commentary with George Lucas, Rick McCallum, Ben Burtt, Rob Coleman, Pablo Helman, John Knoll and Ben Snow

DISC THREE: STAR WARS: EPISODE III REVENGE OF THE SITH

•Audio Commentary with George Lucas, Rick McCallum, Rob Coleman, John Knoll and Roger Guyett

DISC FOUR: STAR WARS: EPISODE IV A NEW HOPE

•Audio Commentary with George Lucas, Carrie Fisher, Ben Burtt and Dennis Muren

DISC FIVE: STAR WARS: EPISODE V THE EMPIRE STRIKES BACK

•Audio Commentary with George Lucas, Irvin Kershner, Carrie Fisher, Ben Burtt and Dennis Muren

DISC SIX: STAR WARS: EPISODE VI RETURN OF THE JEDI

•Audio Commentary with George Lucas, Carrie Fisher, Ben Burtt and Dennis Muren

DISC SEVEN: NEW! STAR WARS ARCHIVES: EPISODES I-III

•Including: deleted, extended and alternate scenes; prop, maquette and costume turnarounds; matte paintings and concept art; supplementary interviews with cast and crew; a flythrough of the Lucasfilm Archives and more

DISC EIGHT: NEW! STAR WARS ARCHIVES: EPISODES IV-VI

•Including: deleted, extended and alternate scenes; prop, maquette and costume turnarounds; matte paintings and concept art; supplementary interviews with cast and crew; and more

DISC NINE: THE STAR WARS DOCUMENTARIES

•NEW! Star Warriors (2007, Color, Apx. 84 Minutes): Some Star Wars fans want to collect action figures...these fans want to be action figures! A tribute to the 501st Legion, a global organization of Star Wars costume enthusiasts, this insightful documentary shows how the super-fan club promotes interest in the films through charity and volunteer work at fundraisers and high-profile special events around the world.

•NEW! A Conversation with the Masters: The Empire Strikes Back 30 Years Later (2010, Color, Apx. 25 Minutes): George Lucas, Irvin Kershner, Lawrence Kasdan and John Williams look back on the making of The Empire Strikes Back in this in-depth retrospective from Lucasfilm created to help commemorate the 30th anniversary of the movie. The masters discuss and reminisce about one of the most beloved films of all time.

•NEW! Star Wars Spoofs (2011, Color, Apx. 91 Minutes): The farce is strong with this one! Enjoy a hilarious collection of Star Wars spoofs and parodies that have been created over the years, including outrageous clips from Family Guy, The Simpsons, How I Met Your Mother and more -- and don't miss "Weird Al" Yankovic's one-of-a-kind music video tribute to The Phantom Menace!

•The Making of Star Wars (1977, Color, Apx. 49 Minutes): Learn the incredible behind-the-scenes story of how the original Star Wars movie was brought to the big screen in this fascinating documentary hosted by C-3PO and R2-D2. Includes interviews with George Lucas and appearances by Mark Hamill, Harrison Ford and Carrie Fisher.

•The Empire Strikes Back: SPFX (1980, Color, Apx. 48 Minutes): Learn the secrets of making movies in a galaxy far, far away. Hosted by Mark Hamill, this revealing documentary offers behind-the-scenes glimpses into the amazing special effects that transformed George Lucas' vision for Star Wars and The Empire Strikes Back into reality!

•Classic Creatures: Return of the Jedi (1983, Color, Apx. 48 Minutes): Go behind the scenes -- and into the costumes -- as production footage from Return of the Jedi is interspersed with vintage monster movie clips in this in-depth exploration of the painstaking techniques utilized by George Lucas to create the classic creatures and characters seen in the film. Hosted and narrated by Carrie Fisher and Billie Dee Williams.

•Anatomy of a Dewback (1997, Color, Apx. 26 Minutes): See how some of the special effects in Star Wars became even more special two decades later! George Lucas explains and demonstrates how his team transformed the original dewback creatures from immovable rubber puppets (in the original 1977 release) to seemingly living, breathing creatures for the Star Wars 1997 Special Edition update.

•Star Wars Tech (2007, Color, Apx. 46 Minutes): Exploring the technical aspects of Star Wars vehicles, weapons and gadgetry, Star Wars Tech consults leading scientists in the fields of physics, prosthetics, lasers, engineering and astronomy to examine the plausibility of Star Wars technology based on science as we know it today.

I do have 'Classic Creatures' somewhere. However it is on a VHS tape that was a transfer from the Betamax tape that I had originally recorded it on. It will be nice to have a 'cleaner' version!

Other highlights for me (excluding the obvious blu-ray transfers) are the deleted/extended/alternate scenes. Also the making of Star Wars/Empire documentaries as I have never seen them, and the two archives discs.

Audio Commentary from Archival Interviews with Cast and Crew ?? how bitterly disapointing, I hate it when they do this especially if those interviews are the ones elsewhere on the disc. and even more so if its done a bit lazy.

I want new content from the ACTORS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

is empire of dreams not on there?

looking forward to alot of this set but also seems like alot of blah in that list.