ANY NEW GUESTS STILL COMING OR NOT?

LJGreen

I couldn't sleep last night. Alyson Hannigan tweeted asking about British crisps and I became obsessed with the notion that she was coming to HW2.:WAVE:

Knackered this morning lol. :YAHOO:

WOW! That would have been fantastic!!! :dance:

• Replies 301
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think anyone expecting big names at this stage will be disappointed because surely they are the ones who would have been sorted first and foremost to sell tickets, which they did with Alan, Jewel and ASH. As I said before, anymore guests added now will probably be smaller parts in the series, like Clem and Groo last year.

I'm not complaining mind, as I've already said those two were incredibly good guests as they gave the best talk of the weekend in my opinion. I just think people shouldn't be holding out for big names at this point. That being said im always willing to be proved wrong :WAVE:

I agree more or less, but I have to admit I don't fully understand the strategy.

1) by not announcing guests ME are allowing potential buyers to continue dreaming that a headlining guest will still come. Early on this works I expect, especially with die hard fans (who were coming anyway), but I believe sceptical, potential attendees are actually waiting for the announcements to happen at this late point before parting with their money - thus rendering this tactic rather useless now.

Also there comes a point where it becomes too expensive for a potential attendee to book, even if a really special guest were to be announced. I'm flying from Sweden and I have already bought my plane ticket. If I were to book my flight today it would cost me 3 times as much. So even if SMG were announced I probably wouldn't be able to come, had I been waiting for announcements. Its not like with the hotel where you can cancel the same day. I have to commit early if I'm going to attend.

2) if smaller-part guests are what we are to expect then why not announce at least one of them now? I've read a number of times about how hard the negotiations are, but smaller guests are presumably cheaper and more available to book. The only reason I can think of for not announcing one now is that the nearer the event, the cheaper the guests become. I can't help feeling that an announcement now would lead to more silvers and golds being sold (even if it ware a smaller guest). My reasoning being that silvers and golds are breakeven money-wise at around 4 guests. A fifth guest would allow the economic, potential attendee to make a calculated decision based on fact.

3) there are no more guests :YAHOO: ... nahhh I refuse to believe that!

Bit of a waffle but hey it's Friday :dance:

See you guys soon !!!

• Moderators

It can work both ways ..

Sign up a big guest to sell tickets, then they pull out, and everyone gets p!ssed off. It's always a risk, especially with the biggest guests.

Don't sign up a big guest from the start, as they want to wait and see if their schedules are free etc, then don't sell enough tickets to actually be able to afford them.

Who knows?

There's always difficulties and I genuinely don't believe there's a perfect way to organise a con. Sometimes things fall into place, and other times they don't. It's just the way things go.

Yeah it must be a headache to organize :WAVE:

I'm very happy the event is being held and I expect I'll have a great time regardless of any guest announced or not announced after this point. I just fancied discussing the ins and outs seeing as we have little else to do right now :YAHOO:

• Moderators

Oh I don't mind discussion at all. I find it all quite interesting to be honest. I just get a little frustrated sometimes if someone has a very simplistic "get the guests, sell tickets!" view of things. Oh if only it were that easy :lol:

I think any very big guests (such a Alyson) are more likely to be added at the last minute as they would be less likely to know their work scedules until nearer the time so SM/ME wouldn't be able to get a contract and wouldnt be able to announce it until close to the date.

Either way I'm sure they have a contract or two waiting to arrive and some guests on standby they can ask who they pretty much know will attend any time they ask.

I think anyone expecting big names at this stage will be disappointed because surely they are the ones who would have been sorted first and foremost to sell tickets, which they did with Alan, Jewel and ASH. As I said before, anymore guests added now will probably be smaller parts in the series, like Clem and Groo last year.

I'm not complaining mind, as I've already said those two were incredibly good guests as they gave the best talk of the weekend in my opinion. I just think people shouldn't be holding out for big names at this point. That being said im always willing to be proved wrong :lol:

I agree more or less, but I have to admit I don't fully understand the strategy.

1) by not announcing guests ME are allowing potential buyers to continue dreaming that a headlining guest will still come. Early on this works I expect, especially with die hard fans (who were coming anyway), but I believe sceptical, potential attendees are actually waiting for the announcements to happen at this late point before parting with their money - thus rendering this tactic rather useless now.

Also there comes a point where it becomes too expensive for a potential attendee to book, even if a really special guest were to be announced. I'm flying from Sweden and I have already bought my plane ticket. If I were to book my flight today it would cost me 3 times as much. So even if SMG were announced I probably wouldn't be able to come, had I been waiting for announcements. Its not like with the hotel where you can cancel the same day. I have to commit early if I'm going to attend.

2) if smaller-part guests are what we are to expect then why not announce at least one of them now? I've read a number of times about how hard the negotiations are, but smaller guests are presumably cheaper and more available to book. The only reason I can think of for not announcing one now is that the nearer the event, the cheaper the guests become. I can't help feeling that an announcement now would lead to more silvers and golds being sold (even if it ware a smaller guest). My reasoning being that silvers and golds are breakeven money-wise at around 4 guests. A fifth guest would allow the economic, potential attendee to make a calculated decision based on fact.

3) there are no more guests :D ... nahhh I refuse to believe that!

Bit of a waffle but hey it's Friday :D

See you guys soon !!!

All good points Numfar, at the end of the day I imagine organising these things is a bit of a black art and a headache to boot!

Looking forward to seeing you again Numfar, glad to hear your coming :D

i read that at twitter,too

and i asked myself, why does she say that on twitter? i mean, she does´nt need to care what flavour the british chips and crisps have?

alydenisof would be a great guest!!! maybe she could bring her husband?

that would be :lol:

OMG I only just saw that on twitter :D & you're right, why would she need to know that? Couldn't she just ask Alexis? I mean, didn't he live in Britain for a while? Anyways, that implication has just got me uber excited :D

This is true but even getting smaller guests signed up early would help.

Last year although we had nicky and james (which was brilliant) there were in total only 5 guests with over 800 fans so was light in comparison to other cons in the past. The smallest con i ever went to for buffy/angel had about 300 fans but still had 7 guests. We are now 3 weeks away with only 4.

i know we will all have a great time, i am very much looking forward to this one and seeing particularly Tony and Stephanie again but i do think the guests should be in place a lot earlier than 3 wks. Other cons around this one seem to have their guests sorted early so i dont understand why its been left a bit late again here, it would be nice for some update from ME about whats happening to put peoples minds at rest.

fingers crossed for an update soon.

Edited by buffy2k

This is true but even getting smaller guests signed up early would help.

Last year although we had nicky and james (which was brilliant) there were in total only 5 guests with over 800 fans so was light in comparison to other cons in the past. The smallest con i ever went to for buffy/angel had about 300 fans but still had 7 guests. We are now 3 weeks away with only 4.

i know we will all have a great time, i am very much looking forward to this one and seeing particularly Tony and Stephanie again but i do think the guests should be in place a lot earlier than 3 wks. Other cons around this one seem to have their guests sorted early so i dont understand why its been left a bit late again here, it would be nice for some update from ME about whats happening to put peoples minds at rest.

fingers crossed for an update soon.

Spot on!!!

• Moderators

I don't think it's fair to say 'left to the last minute' as if they're just sitting around not doing anything.

No one is aware of how long negotiations go on for etc. Things sadly take time, and to suggest things just aren't dealt with early on isn't entirely correct.

Yes, in some cases it's related directly to ticket sales, but other times there's simply nothing they can do to move things on beyond keep trying with potential guests.

They can't just book 6 guests upfront as it's too risky. Money has to be managed sensibly.

It's a lose/lose situation for con organisers I think. If you book six people up front you risk more cancelations. Where as if you wait a bit and the last few guests arent announced until the last week or two you have people complaining about lack of info. Lets all just worried about being ready for the con ourselves and let ME worry about any more guests. I'm sure if there was a problem with getting more then we'd be told, so no news probably means they've got a guest or two in the pipe line they they're finalizing with agents or whatever. I would much rather have a load of guests at the last minute than worry for a year that loads could get other jobs before the con. At least if they are booked at the last minute if gets more excitment for the con building up!

This may or may not help and obviously it guarantees nothing, but I do know that ME are working on at least a 5 guest.

Well that's great :D To be honest, I think they're a bit pre-occupied with searching for guests for ET4 as most Twilight fans seem to annoyed by the lack of "big" guests like Peter (to be honest, it's really not ME's problem that he dropped out, fans knew what they were in for when they bought their tickets)

I really couldn't care less about who they get for Hallowhedon as any guest would be brilliant & the lineup is already superb :P

This may or may not help and obviously it guarantees nothing, but I do know that ME are working on at least a 5 guest.

I think people just want a little reassurance that you are doing all you can to get more guest, so even tho it guarantees nothing its just helps that you are showing you are trying. It gets a bit frustrating not hearing anything from ME and I know they don't want to say anything incase it doesn't work out, but knowing that there is a possibility there could be a guest, as I say it helps.

So thanks Too Tall for the status report. :blink:

• Moderators

It is great when someone like TT can come on and reassure people, but can I try and urge people not to ask about guests all the time please?

It's not just Hallowhedon but any other event too. As you can imagine, there's so many events going on, and SM/ME can't give an update every time someone wants to ask for one.

They are ALWAYS working on guests unless stated otherwise. When they say they're working on them up until the event itself, it isn't a lie.

I just don't want people thinking they'll get regular updates every time they ask now - this won't be the case, and I'm not saying that just to be a pain in anyone's backside.