Concerning the longevity and frequency of Hub events

etmuse

Hub frequency  

91 members have voted

1. 1. Please select which applies to you, regarding moving the Hub to once annually...

• I am more likely to be able to keep attending in the long term if the Hub was only once a year
    • I have no trouble affording 2 a year, so can keep attending either way

• Moderators

Now, all of those of us who were at Hub 4 know that the attendee numbers were low - dangerously low, according to Jason, Mark et al, and only just high enough to sustain the Hub.

I for one (and I know there are many like me) would hate to see the demise of the Hub events - they've been some of the most fun weekends of my life! (Huge thanks to Jason, Mark and all the team and crew for that - you guys rock!)

While not the only factor in the low numbers - with no new canon on the horizon some people may be drifting out of fandom anyway - there are a lot of people for whom the problem is becoming affording two Hubs a year. This goes especially for the Americans (and Australians, Asians or wherever you've been coming from) who have to pay for expensive flights across here to attend!

So a few friends and I started discussing the idea of reducing the frequency to one per year. This would (hopefully) boost attendee numbers by concentrating everyone who can afford just one Hub in a year into the same event. Boosted attendee numbers = Hub stays sustainable for longer! And that can only be a good thing.

The idea of it being an annual reunion for the global fandom also occurred to us.

So please vote in the poll, and add your thoughts - if you have any other ideas for helping to keep the events going for longer, I'm sure the guys at Massive Events would love to hear those too!

I have to say that money is definitely becoming a problem for me, so once a year would be great and would then give me a little money to play with to attend other events, too (I'm talking Muggle Mayhem here).

It would probably bump the numbers, too, giving people more a chance to come and not have to choose between several things all the time!

one big one with full cast reunion a year would be amazing, end of august before sm do cmG would be awesome ;-)

but yer i really wanted to do the last one but just couldnt afford it at all at the time. im hoping i can make the next one but october is busy at work, so will see, plus depends on guests, but i will have some money for it, please get naoko!!

i was always surprised that stargate, tw, twilight had more than 1 con each a year, i guess at first its good but over time numbers will dwindle ala the heroes bug.

cost is the big thing with show specific cons as it usually always includes hotel and travel costs adding up much more than they would normally for me

I have selected one (even though I probably will attend Hub5). For me it's not really the fact that there are two Hubs a year. It's more to do with the fact that the number of other conventions are increasing. Chevron, Hallowhedon, and now Warp 10 are all a higher priority for me (ducks to avoid thrown objects).

Long term I am facing the possibility of diverting my budget to these other events, which would mean that attending two Hubs per year may not be feasible for me anymore.

I'll find a way to go to two per year where possible, but I'm a diehard. I also had to skip Hub 4 because it was at an absolutely terrible time in my work life. April is impossible for me, as a rule, and I ended up with a gig I couldn't put off on the same weekend as Hub 4.

I am concerned about not burning out the Torchwood fandom at this point. I love the Hub events. Even though I have to travel more than three thousand miles for them, they are the conventions to which I most want to go. I think that one Hub per year is sustainable for a good while, even if no further episodes of the series are made. However, I've seen a U.S. company mount two conventions per year for a hugely popular movie-based fandom only to burn out in five events (two and a half years). Had they done one per year, they probably would have sustained their franchise for around ten years. I'd very much like to see a different (better) outcome for the Hub.

I love the Hub events -- some of the best weekends of my life, and I've made wonderful friends there. But I just couldn't continue to cross the Atlantic twice a year for it, so I reluctantly missed Hub4, which I hear was brilliant! And part of why I skipped Hub4 was that I knew there would be a Hub5 just 6 months later. If Hub4 had been the only Torchwood con for the entire year I'd have made it a top priority to be there.

It's not just the money for me - it's also the vacation time (which is limited of course) and the exhaustion of the transatlantic flights, etc.

Like others, I'm also concerned about the fandom dwindling because the show is no longer in production. However I like the idea of an annual reunion for both the fans and the actors. Other shows have done it. Here in the US, for example, Dark Shadows still has a well-attended annual convention and that show has been off the air for decades!

• Moderators

I guess the only thing I would worry about is how tricky it may be to get everyone for one date a year. At least two dates a year opens it up a little as to when potential guests can be available.

I really enjoy The Hub and have been to all 4 - also bought ticket for this one. However, this Hub could be my last as there are more and more guests going that I have already met.

Indira is a big draw for me to attend Hub 5. One whole cast reunion would be brilliant or some different faces.

Once a year (and not in either April or October) would make the Hub events much more affordable for me. I would love to come to Hub 5 but at the moment this is not looking like a possibility financially, though that might change (and I've booked the time off just in case). With Hub I have 3 things on in October and since I took a pay cut juggling these things has become much more difficult.

• Moderators

I have selected one (even though I probably will attend Hub5). For me it's not really the fact that there are two Hubs a year. It's more to do with the fact that the number of other conventions are increasing. Chevron, Hallowhedon, and now Warp 10 are all a higher priority for me (ducks to avoid thrown objects).

Long term I am facing the possibility of diverting my budget to these other events, which would mean that attending two Hubs per year may not be feasible for me anymore.

Yeah, I started with just the Hubs and from there got drawn into doing other events which all drain the cash... thus why carrying on doing 2 Hubs every year is becoming financially difficult for me (as much as I adore them!)

That was the same for me. My driving instructor alerted me to The Hubs and I've been to every single one so far, but as I've got to know more about the events SM do, I've done other ones too and the money is really running out lol.

Once a year would be good though.

Another event I go to which I won't mention as I'm not allowed, they did their events twice a year, but when the programme came to an end, they started doing it once a year instead.

I've got to admit, I've been thinking that maybe having The Hub once a year would be quite a good idea too, especially while the show is off the air. It'd be much better than having it cancelled altogether as I'd hate for The Hub to come to an end. I've been to The Hub 3 and The Hub 4 now, both have been amazing weekends and I can't wait for The Hub 5. Also if the decision was not to continue The Hub events, I'd hope that there'd be the possibility of a Hub 6 when series four hits our screens, that's if it does. I can afford two Hubs a year but I see how having one a year might be better :wub:

Edited by Doctor Who

I think, for me, twice a year is fine, but just because they are the only conventions I go to, with the exception of CM:London last year (I'm not going this year). I absolutely love these weekends, I would seriously miss them if they were yearly, but I would completely understand the reasoning if it was decided that they would be yearly. I go to many other places in between times but these weekends are so amazingly brilliantly, that I long them to continue whatever may happen with the frequency.

xxx

I expect more people are likely to go to the Hub if they are only once a year seeing as there hasn't been another series, or really any news of one, for almost a year now. I don't really know how I've managed to afford two a year so once would probably be the best option for me.

regardless of if there is another show I will defo go to one a year and if two events were gonna happen I would most try to get to them both...with all the other events that happen during the year its quite hard to afford to go to them all

I would have to say, having a Hub con once a year does seem a better idea than the present two per year. I mean Showmasters have a wonderful array of cons all year round and there are so many I wish I could attend but unfortunately I can't, even if I got another saturday job, afford to attend them all. Torchwood and Twilight are higher on my list of fandoms than the rest and with both ET and the Hub running twice a year it makes it hard to afford to go to much else. So yeah, personally I feel that having each fandom run a con just once a year (in general) would be better despite the wait.

That's just my opinion though :YAHOO:

Yeah, I started with just the Hubs and from there got drawn into doing other events which all drain the cash... thus why carrying on doing 2 Hubs every year is becoming financially difficult for me (as much as I adore them!)

same issue; given an unlimited budget (and time!) would love to keep going to 2 a year, due to increasingly limited budget/resources ( :YAHOO: ) would be more likely to be able to go to just one.

Edited by glee

• Moderators

Seems there are quite a few of us who, if the Hub went down to 1 a year, would still end up spending the money saved on Showmasters/Massive Events... just on other events (which for some may already be taking precedence).

Hub4 was my first one and I loved going and have booked to go the next one.

I will always try and afford to go all of them as i'd just cut down my spending on other stuff, (I go to alot of music festivals) but I'd never been to any conventions before the Hub and I'll always go the Hub, as the Hub will probably be the only con that I'll go too.

I'd want it it to stay twice a year as i had so much fun