Hallowhedon feedback thread

TRUKid

• Replies 113
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I love this convention, it was very well organised with everything running almost to time which is unheard of - lol. Also a very nice relaxed atmosphere which seemed to bring out the best in the guests. The parties were brilliant and obviously had a lot of thought and effort put into them. So thanks very much for that guys.

Two things organisation wise which I think could be improved. As many people have mentioned there was nothing else going on in the mornings if you weren't having your picture taken or getting an autograph. It would be better if there were some videos or something being shown to keep people from just hanging around.

Secondly - the meet and greet for the gold pass holders. Having such a large group of people per guest meant that some people got stuck at the back and couldn't really see the guest or hear what was being said. It also meant it was very crowded around the guest and got quite hot at one point. The P.A.'s did their best to manouvre the guest around a bit so that everyone could get their fair share of time, but some people are naturally more forward while others are naturally more shy and they ended up losing out a bit.

Other such events that I have been to have a table set up where 6 to 8 people sit around a table and the guests come and join you. Of course it takes a bit longer for the guests to get around everyone but it does mean that everyone gets to speak with the guest if they wish to, and if they are too shy or embarrassed they can at least see the guest and hear what they are saying.

Overall the con was awesome and I can't wait until next year.

As for the Thistle I understand the reason so many cons are held there but I really wish they weren't cos I hate that place so much.

• Showmasters Admin

the closing ceremony.

it finished earlier than it was suposed to :D i totally understand when an event runs late coz you cant always control everything.i find it impressive when it runs on time but finishing earlier i really thinks it s bad.i know some people that missed the closing coz they were late.

The guests never actually said good bye on stage, that s the first time i see that at a convention and i have been to cons from different organisations in England and in France.it just feels like something was missing.

It being early was simply a mistake, someone thought it was meant to be 6pm and sent Jason and Mark on stage and when we realised they'd gone on to early it was too late to stop it.

As for the guests not saying goodbye. That's very much up to them, we couldn't have made them. They knew it was the end, I guess they just forgot.

Edited by Too Tall

Hi!

I had a lovely time... My only 'bad' about the Thistle, but I'm afraid this is not a Thistle-thing... I really wanted to buy James' CD and 2 scriptbooks, but I ran out of money and the cash-machine didn't work. That sucked. BIG TIME. :D and that my hotel was at the other side of London so I had to miss a lot (and never got the chance to meet everybody I've been chatting with... next year I'll stay longer, well, that is if I get a week off! Fingers crossed!!), like the parties, screening, Sunday guesttalks.......................... but every minute I was at the Thistle was worth it!!! Thank you SO much for organizing this!!

Really, this was my first con and everything was arranged so professionaly. And all the crewmembers were so nice for the Dutch girl who's English wasn't that well :P

Just a question - I had to catch my plane, so I haven't received my photo's yet. I would get them within 2 weeks, but I really, really, REALLY want to see them :D

Once more (with even MORE feeling): Thank you all for making Hallowhedon happen. It made my year.

Edit About the guests: I loved them! Couldn't have dreamed James would be this nice to everyone and Mercedes, I read a lot of her here, but she was so nice to me. I had the drawing of her on the Buffy-covers, she said she never saw it like that ( "it's so shiny!") and just found out now she had bitten someone at the background, haha!

But really, thank you for arranging these guests!

Edited by Gaby

Just got back from travelling home.

Sarah and I had a blast this weekend. We loved meeting all our new friends and the guests were amazing.

The SM staff were the most friendly, helpful and organised Ive come across. They were never rude or pushy or awkward and were very happy to advise etc. The whole event I thought went much better than any Ive attended before and I would definately do another SM one.

We stayed at the Heathrow Lodge and it was very very basic but worth the £59 for 3 nights stay. There was a free taxi to Heathrow terminal and help with luggage. The only downfall was the thin walls! (I shall say no more!)

I thought the Thistle as usual was over priced and not enough staff on the bars. The girl in the main hotel area was useless and the £18 that we paid for sandwiches and J20 for 2 of us was an outrage. The sandwiches were dried up with fatty beef in and the salad was pathetic. The staff member on the upstairs bar however was very kind and gave us free shots in our bloody marys as we spent so much!

The Guest encounters were a great idea and we went into Mark Lutz and James Learys. They were relaxed and fun. Nick and James Leary made the weekend amazing. Ive met Mark before but I found him a little standoffish both in his signings and at the event in general. Perhaps his mind was somewhere else. Kudos to James Marsters for battling on despite his injury and being so nice to everyone.

Helloooooo to Jade, Sazzy, Kels, Rob, James, Ian, Pam and Catherine, it was great to meet you all.

X

• Showmasters Admin

I love this convention, it was very well organised with everything running almost to time which is unheard of - lol. Also a very nice relaxed atmosphere which seemed to bring out the best in the guests. The parties were brilliant and obviously had a lot of thought and effort put into them. So thanks very much for that guys.

Two things organisation wise which I think could be improved. As many people have mentioned there was nothing else going on in the mornings if you weren't having your picture taken or getting an autograph. It would be better if there were some videos or something being shown to keep people from just hanging around.

Secondly - the meet and greet for the gold pass holders. Having such a large group of people per guest meant that some people got stuck at the back and couldn't really see the guest or hear what was being said. It also meant it was very crowded around the guest and got quite hot at one point. The P.A.'s did their best to manouvre the guest around a bit so that everyone could get their fair share of time, but some people are naturally more forward while others are naturally more shy and they ended up losing out a bit.

Other such events that I have been to have a table set up where 6 to 8 people sit around a table and the guests come and join you. Of course it takes a bit longer for the guests to get around everyone but it does mean that everyone gets to speak with the guest if they wish to, and if they are too shy or embarrassed they can at least see the guest and hear what they are saying.

Overall the con was awesome and I can't wait until next year.

As for the Thistle I understand the reason so many cons are held there but I really wish they weren't cos I hate that place so much.

It's been raised before about more things to do in the morning. We are looking at this.

I'm sorry if the the Gold Pass reception did work for you, it is a work in progress, we are trying different things to see what works best.

The issue with the sit down idea is...

A: The size of the hall you'd need. It would need to be at least 3 times bigger than the one we had and the only other hall that big is the main hall. And we need to have that for the main party and that needs to be set-up whilst the gold drink party is going on. Some of the parties take over an hour to set-up.

B: With 150 gold passes, and 8 people a table that's 19 tables. With only an hour that's only 3 mins per table! The guests would only just have time to move from one table to the next. To have a reasonable amount of time on each table 10 minutes (with 2 minutes move time) we'd have to have the gold drinks recepetion on for nearly 4 hours! And even with 6 guests you'd have 20 minute waits between guests.

It's not easy and we are re-evaluating it every show to try and get the best solution.

Edited by Too Tall

The Good...

Same as is usually good with ME cons. Staff were friendly and competent; lots of effort clearly went into making the parties special; Q&A talks well-managed; decent info packs; pleasant guests (that's a bit pot luck, but at cons where the guests are treated nicely by the staff it's far more likely, and ME seem to get better moods from the guests than one or two organisations I could mention); great atmosphere; good value for money.

The Bad...

Guests shouldn't chew gum while they're talking. It's harder to hear them, and unpleasant to look at them for lip-reading. And the Thistle is a dive - not your fault, it just is.

The 'Next Time, Please Can We Have'...

I second the comments above that it'd be nice to have an episode screening or three in the mornings. I get that it's rather dependent on what rooms etc you have though, so if it's not feasible, no worries.

The Important Bit...

THANK YOU! It was a smashing weekend.

Good Points - Nic being the most amazing guy EVER, so funny, so approachable and just so down to earth and loverly! was so not expecting him to be as amazing as he was! the whole weekend was fabulous, was my first con and I wasn't sure what to expect but it beat anything I could've thought up!

Bad Points - none really except having to watch James Marsters clearly in so much agony during his signings, putting on a brave face. I have such a high respect for him, even more than before, that he would do that just to not disappoint his fans, it nearly made me cry on more than one occasion watching him on that table!

Totally amazing weekend and my friends and I are looking forward to next year. No complaints with the Thistle, all the staff we spoke to were friendly and very helpful, the room was clean, bed was comfy, and I have zero complaints with it!

Hiiii,

I had a great time at the weekend, no problems with the hotel, though it isn't really value for money at £81 a night, it could do with being upgraded, and the drinks prices were SHOCKING! I know it's laaandaan but c'mon! £4.70 for a vodka and lemonade?!

But it was fine, the breakfast was packed full of munchy goodness and was really tasty! Tho when we went up to have a look at the buffet at night it was clearly recycled sausages from breakfast in the casserole (or whatever it was) and recycled baked potatoes from lunch into wedges, no thanks.

I think it would be good to have other stuff going on, I like the pub quiz idea a lot! And also the screening of Whedon shows, but I guess that depends on licensing and space too!

The Sunday night party was a bit dead so I think a pub quiz would have fitted in well at 8:30 then start the disco at 10 or something. Also I dressed up and hardly anyone else did! I felt like a right bosom! haha.

But all in all a nice weekend, and easy to understand what was going on etc so very well organised! Kudos and thanks!

The talks:

I had a silver ticket and if i remember right one of the special things you get is reserved seats behind the golds, well there was none you still had to come earlier to get your place.

I'm sorry that you misread this but it's the same at all of our event and as you'll see on the >>HalloWhedon website<<, only the GOLD ticket holders get a "reserved" seating area.

Reserved priority seating for the guest talks

As per the website Silver get.....

Priority seating behind the Gold programme holders for the guest talks

It is not reserved seating, but you do get let in first and their for priority over standard ticket holders for seats.

well my bad for misunderstanding it, talked to other silver ticket holders that thought that too.i really thought that priority seating behind the gold was another way to say we got a reserved area. i guess i ll know for another time.

My only 'bad' about the Thistle, but I'm afraid this is not a Thistle-thing... I really wanted to buy James' CD and 2 scriptbooks, but I ran out of money and the cash-machine didn't work. That sucked. BIG TIME.

There was a cash machine 2 mins away at the garage.

Good points: hanging out with all you people

Bad points: didn't like the Thistle, rude staff, very overpriced and our room keys kept having to be reactivaed.

One other bad point was being so drunk on Sat that I have blank patches lol. Nah only kidding Saturday night was a blast!!!!

£4.70!!

How the hell did people afford to get drunk?!

The wine in the gold pass reception! Otherwise I wouldnt have been able to lol!

I agree that the gold pass reception needs refining. I've done a fair few now and I've just thought the last couple havent been as good. I'm not the kind of person that will push to the front or anything which maybe is my downfall? There was no point even trying to get near James M as noone looked like they were gonna move to let ppl at the back have a turn! Major thanks to Roxy for bringing Nick to our small lil group on the side so we got to have a convo.

Have just booked a Silver for next time as Gold is losing it's appeal a bit each time. We'll see how ET3 goes tho!

My main issue about the weekend was just that I dont like the Thistle at all. Although it's in London and should be easier to get to, it's just not! Took me 2 hours to get to it after my train arrived at Waterloo and I just got way too stressed! I could have nearly got to Manchester in the same total journey time!

I've been to one other weekend con there and that seemed to work better but that's probably because there were half the amount of ppl there so it wasnt so crowded. There just doesnt seem to be enough room for everyone to chill out between things, esp on Sunday when it was peeing down and you couldnt stand outside.

I only had one issue with a particular crew member who I just find rude and I dont like being spoken to like I was being a naughty child or something. I just find their tone aggressive and patronising and there are better ways to ask ppl to move, you cant sit there etc. Plus they were trying to answer back to me and completely contradicted something they'd said to a large group of people not that long before!

Buuttt, in general, LOVED the weekend and finally being able to attend a Buffy related con was just awesome.

Okay, essay! I dont normally post in these sorta threads but thought it was about time I did!

xxxx

P.S. Seth and Alyson for next year thankyouplease!!! I can dream.....

More realistically, I vote; Emma Caulfield. ;D She's my dream guest :YAHOO:

Not that I'm hinting, or anything. ;D

I agree with that too! I missed her at Collectormania a coupla years ago.

xxxx

More realistically, I vote; Emma Caulfield. ;D She's my dream guest :YAHOO:

Not that I'm hinting, or anything. ;D

I agree with that too! I missed her at Collectormania a coupla years ago.

xxxx

Me too. And Anya's my favourite character, as those of you who saw me on Saturday night in my Bunny Anya costume probably gathered. ;D

Can't we have it in Glasgow, please thanks! Haha

Hotels here are probably easier to get to than ones in London and a HECK of a lot cheaper for rooms/drink/food etc :)

OK I'm dreaming now, I know...

I'm sure I'm not the only one who'd find getting there a lot harder than getting to London...

Drink in the room :D

Yup! I learned that lesson fast! 750ml bottles of Magners in the petrol station for £3, score!

Ah yes, I remember those days, a bottle of 20/20 before hitting the pub, no wonder my guts are completely trashed!