Saturday at Autographica

Avengers7

Yes it was quieter than I thought it would be - although I have heard from 1 person who was put off by the astronaut prices

One hairy moment was when the crew member handling the Stafford sales tried to charge me 300 for a G9 completion :D

One other initial problem was that no-one knew where/how the credit card system was supposed to be happening...

Basically just outside the entrance to the hall there is a reception desk where you can select which autographs you want , pay for them by card and receive £5 and £10 Autographica vouchers which can be used at the stands

A big thanks to the crew who all seemed to be in good spirits

Julie T Wallace was excellent - friendly and fun and a good listener

Carmen, Olga, Eva and Julie Dawn Cole was also good and there was a lot of banter between the "Willy Wonka" guests

Scott Carpenter was as good as ever and in fine form for someone in his mid-80s

Tom Stafford did not look well to me but I do appreciate his visit

No sign of Sterling Moss while I was there and no sign of flyers for the next Autographica :D

I enjoyed it today. Got the autographs I wanted in a couple of hours. I was surprised by how quiet it was when I got there. Even later on it was quieter compared to the Saturday in April when Collectormania Midlands and Autographica were held at the Metropole (which was crazy, especially in the hall which the last Autographica was held in).

It was strange with the dining hall moving back to where it was when Autographica was held at the Metropole in 2008.

As for the guests, the highlights were Julie T. Wallace (who was very friendly, chatty and interested in what you were saying), Eva Reuben Staier, Carmen Du Sautoy and Olga Bisera.

Edited by SunSpeed

I really enjoyed A14.

It was a nice quite event and not a 'bun fight' I have experianced in other years.

We could park the car up where we wanted (in the shade of a tree...)

When I went to the main desk in the hotel I was shewen were the event was.

The guys on the Autographica desk were very good and asked if I wanted to pay for my autographs as well as my entrance fee in one go - excellent idea - and was given vouchers.

Had a good mooch about with out people pushing and getting in the way.

Found every one friendly and professional from A'Hunters to dealers, I guess the majority of the A'Hunters this time were all keen collectors and not just jokers tying to make a quick buck...

I only went for Tom Stafford's Auto and his security minder was very freindly and explained were I had to go to swap my vouchers, I was then offered a free inscription with Tom's auto and collected my ticket.

While the punter in front was getting Tom's Auto, I chatted with the sercurity man about taking a picture and he said '...just of Tom signing...' which I thought reasonable. (It must get tiring standing up and sitting down all day...)

Although he did looked poorley...

We had a chat about PANAVIA Tornado's - he said a great aircraft but with 'short-legs''! then we chatted about Omega Speedmaster's. He came over as a very nice chap and although the meeting was soon over it was really nice meeting him.

Later, I met Al Wordon out side returning from a fag break and he was full of beans! We had a chat and soon parted.

I liked this show, it was a very professionl event from all sides. I sensed there were more genuine collectors who appricated meeting there hero's than 'jokers making a quick buck'.

Well done to all involved, will be back next year!

Regrds and bests to all

von Dawson's Express

PS 'Our Lass' met Ursula Andress in the 'Ladies' and Ursula filled her hand bag with water at the 'weird-sinks-that-look-like-shelves', they had a chat saying about what a stupid thing the 'sinks' are!

Where do I start? Had a good day but what a NIGHTMARE to begin with!! My flight with FLYBE from Edinburgh to Birmingham was due to depart at 0655 and when I checked in there was no info available on the monitor... I cleared security and the monitor said ESTIMATED DEPARTURE 1020. This would have me arriving at Birmingham at approx 1155 and by the time I got to the Birmingham Metropole it would have been around 1230 giving me ONE HOUR at the show before having to catch the shuttle bus to the railway station and the momorail back to the airport itself (1515 departure). This was clearly not do-able!! I was absolutely GUTTED!!!!

Upon learning this I swiftly made my way to the FLYBE customer service counter in the terminal. When I asked what the delay was the customer service officer advised that the crew was sick and a stand-by crew would not be available until 10am.

On a Saturday BMI do not operate flights from Edinburgh or Glasgow to Birmingham. FLYBE are the only airline operating Saturday flights to BHX and the 1515 was the only flight back to Edinburgh from BHX that day (the flight to Glasgow was at 1315!!) so it looked as though I wasn't going to be able to attend the show. Whilst driving home in a fit of rage I called my wife Debbie and she consoled me. I could have got a few signatures via my good friend Yvan on glossies provided at the show but it would not have been the same as actually being there as I really wanted to meet Tom Stafford, Stirling Moss and Ursula Andress. I got back home at 730am GUTTED and Debbie said if I could give her half an hour she'd be ready and she'd come with me to drive down to the show at Birmingham.... YES!!!! I'm going after all. Departing at 8am we arrived at the show at 1pm and I'm thankful that the delays on the M6 were all NORTH BOUND!!

After meeting up with Yvan we quickly got into the show I went about getting my items signed. First was Ursula Andress who was very pleasant indeed (signing a portrait for me & my Bond Girls are Forever book), next was Sir Stirling Moss (signing a portrait for me & my Stirling Moss 1956-60 Scrapbook). I had a lengthy chat with Sir Stirling Moss about his career and the state of Formula 1 today (we both agree that its no longer a sport but a business and that todays drivers are very dull indeed).

Because I arrived at 1pm I'd missed the Tom Stafford photoshoot (which was at 1120) and when getting my litho signed I asked General Stafford's assistants if I could get a photo taken at the desk with General Stafford as I arrived late due to my flight being canceled and having to drive down instead. General Stafford's handler said he thinks he could do better than that and called one of the Autographica runners over and told her of my predicament. I waited while she spoke with the photographer and when she came back she said that there was a slot available at 1435 and she spoke with General Staffords assistant and handler and they all very kindly agreed to help me and came over for the photoshoot right at 1435 on the dot. I cannot thank the Autographica crew, General Stafford and his assitants/handler enough for making this happen... they went above and beyond what would normally be expected in my opinion.

When sitting in the bar showing my wife the items I'd got signed when it came to the litho Tom Stafford signed for me she asked where the signature was (I had a post-it with signing instructions on the litho but had forgotten to write signature)? Blind panic struck me... Luckily Yvan had a spare litho and when I went back to the General's desk the crew member who had helped me with the photoshoot was sitting and I explained what had happend so she said she'd get General Stafford to sign the litho under the inscription. I said I'd rather have a new piece signed and would be glad to dispose of the one sans signature. When General Stafford arrived back at his desk he dutifully signed/inscribed another litho for me and this time all was perfect (the inscription was in fact much nicer looking this time around) so thanks to all for fixing my little problem LOL!!

For me, the show was very well run and everything was so slick... these guys are PROFESSIONALS... and once again I'd like to thank Dave and the rest of the crew for helping me have a great day after what looked like being a total disaster.

- Derek

I only went for Tom Stafford's Auto and his security minder was very freindly and explained were I had to go to swap my vouchers, I was then offered a free inscription with Tom's auto and collected my ticket.

While the punter in front was getting Tom's Auto, I chatted with the sercurity man about taking a picture and he said '...just of Tom signing...' which I thought reasonable. (It must get tiring standing up and sitting down all day...)

Although he did looked poorley...

We had a chat about PANAVIA Tornado's - he said a great aircraft but with 'short-legs''! then we chatted about Omega Speedmaster's. He came over as a very nice chap and although the meeting was soon over it was really nice meeting him.

Later, I met Al Wordon out side returning from a fag break and he was full of beans! We had a chat and soon parted.

Tom didn't look too perky did he.....in fact rather frail I thought. I did notice his watch tho! was that an omega? Al's a nice guy isn't he, happy to talk and dedicate too.

I remember whilst queueing up for Eva Reuben Staier that one person was having I don't know how many 8x10 photos signed. Are these for autograph selling websites? And then there was a man with an American sounding accent who must have been at Carmen Du Sautoy's table for at least 10 minutes having multiple things signed.

Were there any talks on yesterday?

One of the things I find annoying at these events are people who take photos and videos of guests (using their cameras and mobile phones) when they're not supposed to.

Will the next event at the Hilton Metropole be Collectormania Midlands?

Edited by SunSpeed

I'm gutted! You got a photo of him signing? The sign behind him said no photos/no video so I didn't ask. ^_^

I'm gutted! You got a photo of him signing? The sign behind him said no photos/no video so I didn't ask. :(

I asked the his helper if it was possible to take a photograph while General Stafford was signing for me and was told that was okay..

373988680.jpg

and

373988714.jpg

Edited by machbusterman

Saturday was quiet - both in terms of customers, guests and dealers. I had got all my autographs by 10am, and then leisurely wandered round the dealer room spending the majority of my time at the one stall which appealed to me.

Some comments:

- I was amongst the first to arrive at the hotel and told to queue in a certain place. This proved to be wrong information and we had to join the back of another queue which had formed elsewhere. Showmasters/Autographica - please ensure that your staff are briefed before the doors open regarding queuing. In the end if didnt matter as it was so quiet, but I have visions of me having to spend the full day waiting for Ursula as a result of this error.

- I was quite angry, actually, at being told I could have an unsigned photo from Eva's table. I draw the actors I meet and now have an autograph I cant mount with a drawing as I dont have anything to draw. I thought the rule was you could get an unsigned photo for every autograph purchased. Showmasters/Autographica - please ensure that this policy is clarified and agreed one way or the other - no half way house (so that some will provide photos and others wont)

Edited by mcgill

Hi McGill,

Am I right in thinking you were told you could not have a unsigned picture, even though you paid for a auto to be signed on a item of your own?

Am surprised at that, I have asked and always picked up a unsigned picture when I have had my 'big blue book' signed and some times had a few given.

Sounds interesting your drawings, gonna shew them?

Bests

von Dawson's Express

Saturday was quiet - both in terms of customers, guests and dealers. I had got all my autographs by 10am, and then leisurely wandered round the dealer room spending the majority of my time at the one stall which appealed to me.

Some comments:

- I was amongst the first to arrive at the hotel and told to queue in a certain place. This proved to be wrong information and we had to join the back of another queue which had formed elsewhere. Showmasters/Autographica - please ensure that your staff are briefed before the doors open regarding queuing. In the end if didnt matter as it was so quiet, but I have visions of me having to spend the full day waiting for Ursula as a result of this error.

- I was quite angry, actually, at being told I could have an unsigned photo from Eva's table. I draw the actors I meet and now have an autograph I cant mount with a drawing as I dont have anything to draw. I thought the rule was you could get an unsigned photo for every autograph purchased. Showmasters/Autographica - please ensure that this policy is clarified and agreed one way or the other - no half way house (so that some will provide photos and others wont)

Edited by von Dawson's Express

Hi there,

I found the event significantly quieter than previous shows, but this worked to my advantage as I was keen to make a quick run of it as was going away for the weekend and was just stopping by autographica on the way.

Everyone i met was lovely and very friendly. I was really chuffed to meet Ursula and was touched by her approachability and chattiness which i found very refreshing for someone of her recognisability.

Julie Dawn Cole was really lovely, and chatted to me at length about an assortment of things, including my camera and my role as a Nurse - wonderful experience meeting her.

Rusty was his usual charming self and witty as ever - hope he got his morning fresh!

I was in and out in just over an hour having got the following:

Ursula x 2

Edward Fox x2

Julie Dawn

Rusty x 2

Eva

Julie T

Carmen

Olga

Kenny Baker

And this worked really well as I was back in the bar before my Missus had finished her monster hot chocolate (which made some of the autos look cheap)!

Thoroughly enjoyed it and, no surprise, will be back for more.

Well done and thanks to all involved.

• Showmasters Admin

Some comments:

Hi Mcgill

i am sorry to here about this , if you or anyone has an issue were they think one of the good crew that work with us have misunderstood then do please come up to us or talk to a pit boss so we can fix this on the day , some crew do get it wrong from time to time they are only human :D , so if you can help us by letting us know at the event we can fix it for you and others ok :D

sorry

jason :D

Hi McGill,

Am I right in thinking you were told you could not have a unsigned picture, even though you paid for a auto to be signed on a item of your own?

Am surprised at that, I have asked and always picked up a unsigned picture when I have had my 'big blue book' signed and some times had a few given.

Sounds interesting your drawings, gonna shew them?

Bests

von Dawson's Express

Hello

Yes -that's exactly what I asked. It always makes me feel really uncomfortable, and embarrasses me, when the minders refuse. It has happened many times at many different events. It is quite frustrating. If there were staff around to ask or clarify the situation I would but more often than not when you need them they're nowhere to be seen (and I dont mean that facetiously - but rather in recognition that there is a show to be run!)

Not sure I can post links, but I have some drawings on my facebook account.