Absolutely fabulous guest announcement

Dave Phillips

• 2 weeks later...

Seeing as some have commented that there is a lack of military guests this time round, I wonder if there would be any merit in asking Joanna Lumley if she might be able to contact some of the Gurkhas she has come into contact with through her work with them to see if they might attend the show.

I think I am right in saying that there are several living Gurkhas who have been awarded the VC, from that point of view I would think there would be some people who would be interested in meeting them. I can see some issues might exist with this, it's only a suggestion.

Seeing as some have commented that there is a lack of military guests this time round, I wonder if there would be any merit in asking Joanna Lumley if she might be able to contact some of the Gurkhas she has come into contact with through her work with them to see if they might attend the show.

I think I am right in saying that there are several living Gurkhas who have been awarded the VC, from that point of view I would think there would be some people who would be interested in meeting them. I can see some issues might exist with this, it's only a suggestion.

Now that is a very very good suggestion.

Even one Gurkha V.C. holder would be an amazing addition.

There are three Living Gurkha recipientsof the VC, two from WWII and one from Borneo in 1965.

Tul Bahadur Pun VC was in fact one who was initially refused entry to the UK, but was granted it on "exceptional" grounds.

The three surviving Gurjkha VCs and their citations are detailed at

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tulbahadur_Pun

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lachhiman_Gurung

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rambahadur_Limbu

read their citations and feel humble, because I'm sure that many of us, if placed in similar situations, would not have acted with such bravery. (And from experience, the same can be said of any VC recipient; nothing like reading a VC citation when you're feeling a little too full of yourself to bring you back down to earth.)

And even if you couldn't get a VC holder, any number of other Gurkhas would probably prove interesting; they have seen some historic actions and always acquitted themselves well, and from personal experience of having met both veterans and serving members of the regiment, they are wonderful blokes - very correct, very polite, but also very charming and modest.