Come on guys - play the game !

I have lobbied for something like this since Massive Events launched. I have put my money where my mouth is with a gold pass, posted actively in this section of the forum, booked flights and trains and the hotel, and I've arranged time off work, but with a fortnight to go, we have nothing more than we did when the even was announced over a month ago.

I have tried to be tollerant, patient etc and have faith - but it's not exactly getting us anywhere. It’s not as if RD guests are hard to come by ! Even the two that we have (whilst admittedly “main†cast) are amongst the more common signers. There is having faith, and having the pi$$ taken – and I currently feels victim of the latter.

I have a horrible feeling that this event is going nowhere fast. We have all been polite in here over the last few weeks, pussyfooting around the fact that there is zero information forthcoming, but the clock is ticking, and I’m sorry SMs, it’s time to put up or shut up !

Blake’s Seven is an older, less mainstream, less current show, with (from what I can tell) less of the main cast available / surviving, but it’s got pretty much as full a reunion as possible, and some good rare guests as well - with months to go.

Throw us a frickin’ bone here ……

[/rant]

Yep completely agree.

I was really excited about his event but the way its going its not looking good.

I really enjoyed Eclipse and was hoping for this to be similar but with only 2 guests and just 2 weeks to go its looking dire. Certainly not worth the money I have paid.

I bought a ticket in good faith as SM have always been good at getting RD guests in the past. I won't be doing that again, in future I will wait until I am happy with the line up before buying and risk not being able to get a ticket as I can't afford to spend money on events which are not value for money.

:blush:

I could probably make this event, but I would really like to see another guest or two before buying a ticket.

I'm not bothered if they are main cast or not, although I would prefer it if they were.

Craig Charles might be difficult to get as Coronation Street cast members don't get their scripts till close to filming days so he may not be able to commit to last minute, but their are plenty of names available out there.

I just wonder with all the extra events they are now running, if they have enough people and time to give all the events as much attention as they need.

Edited by King Steve

I must admit its hard to stay positive when its sooooo close now :-(

There have been other conventions where a line up is lacking and people

have proclaimed their concerns but in that circumstance the organisers

announced that they had several other guests lined up but they wouldn't announce them until the contracts were signed and in hand. It was a few

weeks before more were announced but at least it gave us hope while

waiting.... Please please please let us know whats going on :-(

I love Red Dwarf and a convention would be a great thing to go to, BUT...

1 - It was announced too late in the day and I had made other plans for those days.

2 - Even if I hadn't made other plans, I am going to Chevron-7 and LFCC and can't really afford the extra money or the time off work.

3 - Even if I was ABLE to go to it, I have learned from my Lockdown experience not to buy tickets unless there is a reasonable quantity of quality guests. The 2 announced are good quality guests, but the quantity still prevents me from wanting to buy a ticket.

If that is what a die-hard Red Dwarf fan (and regular Showmasters events attendee) like myself is thinking, then trying to convince just casual fans of the show to go may be even harder. I could be wrong and ticket sales for this event might be fantastic, but I think the above 3 reasons may be what a lot of other fans are experiencing.

It's a tricky balance (trying to give us more shows/conventions AND making them high quality events), but personally I think cooling down slightly on the amount of events might be better in terms or the amount of attention they give the shows they DO put on. I had great fun at Lockdown, BUT I can't help but think if it wasn't a week or 2 after Eclipse they would have been able to give it more attention and get more well known stars (any of the number of stars who are not in the show anymore and not tied down to filming). Similarly, perhaps G-Mex 4 wouldn't have been so quiet if Midlands hadn't taken up the organisers time just before it?

Maybe some great Red Dwarf guests will be announced at the last minute, but unfortunately last minute guest announcements aren't going to help their ticket sales.

Edited by Metal Gear

Ticket sales would finish Fri right if thats the 2 week mark? For me, its Wed cos I go for an op on thurs... I guess I'm not gona be going then... can't really afford it for just the 2 :YAHOO: I'd love it if SM pushed the dates back instead, it'd seem a shame to have it like is, cos they may give up n not do another, but I'd really like to see one that'll work and maybe be repeated like Eclipse.

I wrote that in another thread the other day (I've only just come back from hospital after the foot op so i may not make massive amounts of sense now!

I spoke to the doc and he said I can only drive in 3 weeks... so that'd mean I just miss out on the show. But RD is one of my fave shows EVER so I'd be totally gutted to miss it. I missed all the official ones cos I couldn't drive then and it was too far and complicated for me to train n hotel it- I used to stay with friends for the CM Gmex, or train n back in a day for nearer, one day shows.

As I've said, I may get a day and back lift from someone for the Saturday, and I might even do gold if I did- with the right guests- even repeat ones for me... but I just can't make the journey for Chris I've met like 4 times and Danny 4... all of the others I've only met once and they'd be big pullers for me- esp group photos/talks. (Group photo with the main cast would be a.maz.ing!)

But its just such a shame I guess I won't be able to go just as is... no parties, just 2 guests, no real attractions apart from them... and as much as I LOVE the 2 of them, I just can't do such a complicated journey for them. I just really hope, esp as its so late in the day even with any crowd pullers, that they push it to this other date they had- even if its far away. I'd rather we wait ages and have a blast at the show, then so many of us miss it for many diff reasons, whether its a biggun like mine, or its simply to small. Plus, as I said, I want it to be a success so its repeated like Eclipse, not taken as a waste of time cos of short notice and stuff with not enough attendees and ditched totally.

As I said, I HATE people that complain... but again, we've got some valid points... am I makin sense?

Just to add my thoughts.

I've tried emailing SM - and have been totally ignored.

I offered, as on the website, to help with stewarding - got an answer to that - only to be told that they don't need additional help due to the size of the show.

It got to the point that I called the number on the website. Got through.

Unfortunately the person that I spoke to couldn't offer any information as they weren't dealing with this event.

About the only thing I was told, the event is probably taking place. They are in talks for other guests, but there is no news.

I've booked a gold ticket, the hotel and trains. I can cancel the hotel, if SM cancel I will get a refund, but the cost of the train is non-refundable.

This is my first SM event, although I've been to many of the collectormania's over the years. Unfortunately with this experience it will now take a lot for me to book another SM/ME event.

Sad but very true!

As soon as the first SM announcement was up I said I could get in contact with a ex member of the RD team- my bros next door neighbour- easy to contact. But I didn't hear back, and tis a bit late now. She coulda helped a lot with advertising and contact. The show just seems low low on SM's list atm :YAHOO:

Isn't being ignored great ? Even the usual suspects must agree at this stage since they haven't posted the usual diatribe about having faith and being patient. Two weeks from now we will (hopefully) be getting ready to check out of our hotel rooms !!

Eclipse II gets these great "keeping you in the loop" threads with months to go, but SM obviously dont't give a monkey's left nut about BTL. I was hoping for at least some kind of comment from them at this stage, but obviously not :smile: ......

• Moderators

I feel like it's a shame, as when you look at the LFACC lineup you realise that a great event can be put together, regardless of how many events we've got now in the calendar.

So there's certainly a part of me that doesn't agree with the "quantity over quality" argument as such. But at the same time you get this event which speaks for itself really..

The only thing that really worries me is that while events like Eclipse are run really well and encourage people to book up straight away etc, then you get those like Lockdown and this one which haven't lived up to the same standard. And the more events like these we get, the more people are going to be wary about booking up for anything else.

Then we fall into the old quandry of 'more tickets sold, more guests announced' which isn't going to work if the initial faith upfront is lost. For every thought that we'll get 'another stellar con like Eclipse', people will now partly fear 'another Lockdown' or 'another BTL'. Regulars (including myself, and some in this topic) have shown that faith, but I'm sure some are thinking "once bitten, twice shy". And not even regulars - there are first timers that have been tempted along to ME cons because they like Red Dwarf .. if they had a great time here, they might go elsewhere etc. But they seem to be put off now, which is unfortunate.

There's only so many times people will accept "it didn't work out" or words to that effect before they just give up unfortunately. I'm totally realistic about that. When a cancellation is 1 guest out of a lineup of however many at a LFACC etc, then it's usually not so bad - but when it's a con with only a small lineup, it needs to be something solid to get people coming along.

It's especially unfortunate that it's happened with two of my favourite shows - Lost and Red Dwarf .. both of which I'd have LOVED cons to the quality of what Heroes got with Eclipse. The ideas are fantastic, but when I've got so much to potentially spend at LFACC, it'd take a lot to get me to this show now at such short notice.

When you see the hard work and effort put in to making a show like Eclipse a success, it's a shame to see the happiness and faith of potential attendees tainted by some following events.

I have lobbied for something like this since Massive Events launched. I have put my money where my mouth is with a gold pass, posted actively in this section of the forum, booked flights and trains and the hotel, and I've arranged time off work, but with a fortnight to go, we have nothing more than we did when the even was announced over a month ago.

I have tried to be tollerant, patient etc and have faith - but it's not exactly getting us anywhere. It’s not as if RD guests are hard to come by ! Even the two that we have (whilst admittedly “main†cast) are amongst the more common signers. There is having faith, and having the pi$$ taken – and I currently feels victim of the latter.

I have a horrible feeling that this event is going nowhere fast. We have all been polite in here over the last few weeks, pussyfooting around the fact that there is zero information forthcoming, but the clock is ticking, and I’m sorry SMs, it’s time to put up or shut up !

Blake’s Seven is an older, less mainstream, less current show, with (from what I can tell) less of the main cast available / surviving, but it’s got pretty much as full a reunion as possible, and some good rare guests as well - with months to go.

Throw us a frickin’ bone here ……

[/rant]

Pressed%20Bone.JPG

Only travel you'd have to worry bout.

I could be completely wrong, (so sorry if I underestimate anyone's devotion to the show) but I don't think anyone from overseas or a great distance from Northampton will have paid a large amount of money for transport with only 2 guests announced. So I'm hoping if this is potponed no-one will be MAJORLY losing money.

40 quid flight - Dublin to Birmingham return.

25 quid train - Birmingham to Northampton

8 hours worth of petrol (return journey from home to Dublin airport)

Not a fortune, but a pain in the a r s e !

Has anyone else booked a ticket for BTL ?

40 quid flight - Dublin to Birmingham return.

25 quid train - Birmingham to Northampton

8 hours worth of petrol (return journey from home to Dublin airport)

Not a fortune, but a pain in the a r s e !

Has anyone else booked a ticket for BTL ?

I was due to book two, but after what happened at Lockdown, I will now only book last minute if tickets are left.

I was due to attend the Kristen Bell event, left that to last minute and she cancelled. and would have gone to Chevron 7 instead but the only guest I was intrested in cancelled.

It's a chance you take when booking for events like these.

I'm sure it'll be a good event anyhow.

I agree. As I've said previously, after LOCKDOWN you learn to think more practically about attending these events. It's all good and well for people to say "have faith that guests will be announced" but logically there are a million things that could go wrong which are outwith Showmasters control (like the LOST guests all being retained in Hawaii). Unfortunately it now means I won't book up for any event until there is a good amount of people announced for it. Then if anyone drops out, hopefully there will still be people I want to meet. It's just a shame that for G-Mex4 ALL of the guests I was interested in dropped out, making for a very long weekend. It's up to each person's own personal choice of course, but I do recommend thinking more practically and only booking up when you are sure it's worthwhile. It saves a lot of heartache that way. :-(

After everything that's happened with BTL, I can't help agreeing with everyone's comment that you have to play a waiting game.

This was to be my first SM event outside of the Collectormania's.

My biggest complaint is that SM have been totally silent. There's been nothing on the forum since "please spread the word", and the website hasn't been changed since it first went up.

If this gets cancelled or postponed it's going to cost me £50 as I've already booked my train ticket - not a lot, but if it's postponed I'm going to have to buy the tickets again, costing me double.

It's now less that 2 weeks - SM please let us know what's happening?

Have the tickets been posted out?

Are there going to be more guests?

For those of us with Gold Tickets - will we recieve something to make it worth the additional cost, or a partial refund?

Please can we have some answers to our questions before next Friday!