How did you find Autographica 11.

ForAllMankind

Well I must say that being closer to me at the Birmingham Hilton was a great advantage as I live not far from it,venue was very well lit for photograph opportunities,it seemed relaxed and the Showmasters crew I came across were both helpful and friendly.

Sadly we lost 2 Cosmonauts due to unforeseen circumstances as I was there specifically for our Space faring friends and nevertheless it was a great pleasure to meet both Jim McDivitt and Dave Scott who were both friendly and happy to answer any questions about there missions,I also had the chance to meet Alexei Leonov again and he was good enough to pose for a photo with my little girl which really made her day.

Anyway i`m looking forward to October now,we are told that Ed Mitchell should be there and who knows what new space guests will be there also,we shall have to see.

so what do you think of Autographica 11 ?

Edited by ForAllMankind

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

3 HOURS to get there to be told jon macaleese had cancelled the night before,now fair play to the organisers who gave me a refund,but surely someone had internet access to anounce it as i checked at 8 this morning, 3 hours travel for nowt not happy but a refund was welcome,it wasnt busy and to me was a completly diff thing from collectormanias,if you dont want to meet any guests dont go as it all the same

Today was my first Autographica. Overall, I think it was very good. But I noticed that I didnt even have my wristband on and I got in with no problems at all, meaning people who hadn't paid could have been getting in for free. I can now see how people spend buckets full of money at Autographica. I only met three celebs (Curtis, and two WWII vets) and had the photo shoot with Tony. And that cost me £70!! I will definately consider going to the next event, depending on the lineup.

It was my first Autogaphica and overall it exceeded my expectations. This was for 2 main reasons:

1. The celebs I met were all genuinely friendly and had time for you.

2. The organistion was excellent with plenty of Crew members to make the event run smoothly.

My highlights were meeting Alexey Leonov and Tony Curtis and having my photo taken with them. Alexey even asked me where I was from when I had my photo taken with him. I thought Alexey was great and £30 for his autograph was great value considering he is a space pioneer.

I also enjoyed meeting Jenny Linden, Caroline Munro and the lovely Luciani Paluzzi. These ladies have retained their beauty and elegance and helped to light up the room.

Finally, I enjoyed the lecture from Robin Horsefall who told us what it takes to be a member of the SAS and who gave a great insight into the storming of the Iranian Embassy.

I'd love to attend another event and so please hold it again in the Midlands!

Autographs from space-related people are always similar prices, so they weren't overpriced.

It's clearly different to other types of guest they get at these shows.

Can we just have a thread without you in it?

If I was complaining about the price, why would I be flipping asking how long I'm going to have to wait tomorrow?!?

AGHS! Please go 'moderate' somewhere else.

I would like to say it was an excellent day, I was sorry the Cosmonauts did not tip up but hey what could we do about it...

Met my childhood heros...

Dave Scott, Jim McDivitt + Alexei Leonov

plus new heros in subjects I am interested,

Karl Heinz Decker, Ken Wilkinson, Sid Cleaver, Helmut Maros

plus I met David Shayler who was selling some of his books and he signed one I bought from him.

Four of us came down from Yorkshire and found the hotel easy to find and access was easy. Although service was very poor in the restaurent.

The queues moved quickly but I would say one gentlemen in front of us had about a thousand things and huge folder and got in the way when we met Dave Scott, no probs him having stuff but he got in the way an upset the flow. Perhaps people should be a little more organised and moved away further up the table.

A bit cramped with Tony Curtis, Dave Scott and Jim McDivitt. (I was sorry to see Mr. Curtis looking a bit poorly,but he seemed happy enough to meet people)

Although the actors are not my field I was impressed at there following and the amount of pleasure and interest they generate in people who had travelled along way. I found my hero's great people to meet and chat too, it must be difficult to sign, shake hands and create conversation hour after hour.

Ya, a great day out, will I be at the October 2008 Autographica, 'you bet your sweet ass I will!'*

Regards and bests and a great big thank you to you people who organised this

von Dawson's Express

PS1 * a saying from Wally Schirra who dead nearly a year ago

PS2 The pictures were great, I had not seen some of the spaceflight ones, well done guys!

PS3 Alexei Leonov's team were selling some Valery Tokarev pictures that Valery had signed - I liked the

B&W pic with the Yak VTOL.

How long did it take to get autographs for the space guys?

At those prices, I guess it was open queues?

:headscratch:

My guess is they will be handing out virtual queueing tickets for Mr. Scott at least.

I did only attend one Autographica and there most space guys did have open queues, yes. But this was one of the more quiet shows. Without virtual queueing the wait for Mr. Leonov (he was the only space guy I met, sorry) was about 20 minutes when I met him.

My first autographica long drive up from Devon, Got into the show at 9.30 and by 10.15 i had got Dave Scott,

Jim Mcdivitt and Alexey Leonov a long with John peters autograph .Well worth it just wish i had more money, every one i met

was nice and friendly i will go to another show. :thumbup:

Went to my first Autographica today and have to say what a fanstastic event it was...and so well organised. I've been to other events and know only too well that the organisation can either make or break an event, and thankfully the experience of the organisers really showed.

Want to add how great it was to meet Margaret Nolan. A great guest, particularly as she's generally not the type for signing events. She was very friendly and happy to chat frankly about her career. Really an absolute legend, and worked with many of the true comedy greats from the 60's and 70's. Big thumbs up to the organisers again. :thumbup:

I had a very relaxed morning and met Tony Curtis and Lindsay Wagner which were the two guests I came for so have no complaints on that score.

One minor gripe would be that having paid £10 to get in early it was disappointing to see people, who had freely admitted in the queue that they had not paid, being allowed in for nothing. There did not appear to be any checks being made and nobody seemd to be checking wristbands etc. If you are charging an entrance fee I think you need to make sure everyone is paying it!

That minor point aside, it appeared very relaxed and so much less frenetic than the other SM events, and I did get to meet a genuine Hollywood legend.

First off it was good to meet Dave Scott and Jim McDivitt - I joined the Scott queue first and at 10am there were just 8 in front of me...the McDivitt queue was much longer ( about the same as the Curtis queue )

Margaret Nolan and Caroline Munro were very friendly and had only 1 or 2 ahead of me

There were 2 queues stretching across the signing room - for Luciana Paluzzi ( very friendly and chatted with everyone for as long as wanted ) and Lindsay Wagner

Anneke Wills was interesting too

I do hope this split between London and Birmingham continues - the journey from Manchester was serene compared to the frazzles in getting to Heathrow

Finally many thanks to the staff especially the lady on McDivitt's photo desk who asked about the Match It For Pratchett sweatshirt I was wearing... still available from matchitforpratchett dot org

I had a very relaxed morning and met Tony Curtis and Lindsay Wagner which were the two guests I came for so have no complaints on that score.

One minor gripe would be that having paid £10 to get in early it was disappointing to see people, who had freely admitted in the queue that they had not paid, being allowed in for nothing. There did not appear to be any checks being made and nobody seemd to be checking wristbands etc. If you are charging an entrance fee I think you need to make sure everyone is paying it!

That minor point aside, it appeared very relaxed and so much less frenetic than the other SM events, and I did get to meet a genuine Hollywood legend.

I noticed this also, I didn't get checked on the way in, and I didnt have my wristband on. Hopefully this will get sorted for tomorrow as it is unfair people getting in for free when others have paid lots for passes etc.

I really enjoyed it, and would like to thank Dave, Jason, Andrea and co for the opportunity of meeting a true screen legend. Tony Curtis was such a nice guy, and it's one of those meetings we'll treasure.

We also met Lindsay Wagner, who was also great (if somewhat a little bemused?).

The atmosphere was nice and relaxing, and the hotel was superb. Plus we picked up a few great bargain autographs like Alec Guinness, Liam Neeson, Harrison Ford and Ben Affleck. Plus it was nice to chat with Dave and Jason again.

So a fantastic day in all, can't wait to see who is in the next line up (did anyone see any flyers? We didn't).

Until next time,

Obi

I asked the guys on the front selling the actual day tickets when I left yesterday if they had any flyers for Octobers Autographica and I was told that they had none,but nevertheless the Guys at Showmasters will not let us down.

My only complaint is aimed at my employers I worked all the overtime I could which amounted to another weeks wages which I was counting on for this weekend and guess what I never got it, :WINCE: ,there was a great deal of items on sale I would of liked to of got my hands on,some of the dealers there had some great stuff.

My observations -

Nice venue, easy to get to, well laid out inside.

Queues not too bad at all - biggest ones were for Tony Curtis and for somebody I couldn't quite see - the SAS guy, or Alexi, or a lady sat thereabouts?

Jim McDivitt gave a very funny and interesting lecture, he really is a good bloke to have met

Dave Scott seemed ok but a bit kind of guarded, reckon he was expecting a stamps question from someone :) but still great to have met him. Also I agree with the other guy, Jim seemed busier than Dave, reckon Dave priced himself out a bit?

Autographica staff were very pleasant.

Guinness £4.50 a pint in the hotel bar!!! Jeez will I never learn.

All in all enjoyed it, looking forward to the next one.

Ted,

I asked a crew member if he would ask Dave Scott if he would sign my NASA business suit litho with cancelled stamps on,which he was happy to do so and from what the crew guy also said that people were getting anything signed ?

And the bar prices,well I saved myself till I got home,£1.99 for Guinness in my local, :D .

Edited by ForAllMankind

I really enjoyed it, and would like to thank Dave, Jason, Andrea and co for the opportunity of meeting a true screen legend. Tony Curtis was such a nice guy, and it's one of those meetings we'll treasure.

We also met Lindsay Wagner, who was also great (if somewhat a little bemused?).

The atmosphere was nice and relaxing, and the hotel was superb. Plus we picked up a few great bargain autographs like Alec Guinness, Liam Neeson, Harrison Ford and Ben Affleck. Plus it was nice to chat with Dave and Jason again.

So a fantastic day in all, can't wait to see who is in the next line up (did anyone see any flyers? We didn't).

Until next time,

Obi

Can I be rude and ask you how much and where you had autos of Harrison Ford and Alec Guiness?

Have been wondering how much these are as som much of the ones on the Internet auto sites are expensive.

Autographs from space-related people are always similar prices, so they weren't overpriced.

It's clearly different to other types of guest they get at these shows.

Can we just have a thread without you in it?

If I was complaining about the price, why would I be flipping asking how long I'm going to have to wait tomorrow?!?

AGHS! Please go 'moderate' somewhere else.

Ha Ha...'Go moderate somewhere else'...I love that!!

Db wasn't moderating he was answering your question the best he can! You could try and show a little more appreciation instead of dragging the obvious animousity you have for him into EVERY single thread! Grow up

Ha Ha...'Go moderate somewhere else'...I love that!!

Db wasn't moderating he was answering your question the best he can! You could try and show a little more appreciation instead of dragging the obvious animousity you have for him into EVERY single thread! Grow up

I have no idea why you’ve got involved, and why you want to stir up trouble on the forums. As far as David and I are concerned, this matter is over.

PS2 The pictures were great, I had not seen some of the spaceflight ones, well done guys!

I thought that the Scott photographs were a bit ‘average’.

I was bordering on disappointed.

Fair enough

Oh and FYI i'm one of the ones that doesn't try and stir up trouble, I guess I just felt you were being a tad unfair! Theres stirring up trouble and sticking up for someone...I thought I was doing the second but evidently I was doing the first, sorry!

Edited by frankslittlemachine