Future of RingCon

showmasters

• Showmasters Admin

Hi everyone!

Firstly, apologies for the lack of information on another show recently. We have had several other events over the past few weeks that have taken a lot of our time, but we have still been pushing hard to move things along with another show. This has proved very hard though, as the main stars of the trilogy are extremely busy these days, limiting when they are available, and along with all sorts of other factors, this has really curtailed our ability to come back to you with any concrete information. This problem isn't limited to us: another show in Germany has suffered from the same problem, and has changed to a multi-media con due to lack of guest availability!

We know that the long wait for news has been frustrating and we really do appreciate how patient you have been. We now have some solid information that we can give you so that we can move forward, and have decided that the best thing to do is to ask you all what you think, as ultimately our decisions affect you and we want to do what will work best for those of you who have always supported us.

SO,

We have the option of securing David Wenham and John Rhys Davies for another show UK. We feel that both are great guests and would be fantastic in a convention setting. However, we need to know that they are the type of guests that not only you want to see, but that would encourage those of you who have not already done so to book for the event!

Currently we only have about 70 tickets sold. We are well aware that may just simply be because of the lack of announcements. However, if we are to proceed with booking more high calibre guests then we need to know that there are people out there who still want to book, and that the people we are looking at will help make them do that. Would the addition of David and John encourage enough of you who haven't already booked to do so? To make this a decent event for the fans, we need at least 300 attendees; is there enough fan support still out there for that?

Obviously David and John are not the only guests we are working on, but they are the two major names who we confidantly feel we can swiftly confirm at this point, and with the show two months away, we need to make a decision now as to whether this event is viable for you and for us.

Clearly if we do not go ahead with another show then everyone who has paid will get a full refund. However, we much prefer to run the event and hope that the comments in this thread will show that that is what you all want too! :lol:

Thanks for sticking with us on this, and we hope that we will be able to push the event forward with the new guests we have mentioned, and others, very soon!

The Showmasters Team

IN SUMMARY: What we need to know - if we add David Wenham and John Rhys Davies, then will those of you out there who haven't yet booked do so?

• Replies 429
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

SM - Book it and they will come!

The only reason people haven't booked is because there has been no impetus / encouragement to do so!

In my opinion (& this is only my opinon), if these two are confirmed on the website (not just forum) I think you can sit back and watch the bookings roll in. However, until these guys are actually in confirmed status some people who don't know SM well may still think "Well I could book now & these guests might not materialise".

Also, I don't know if it is possible now, but could you sell day passes online rather than just on the day, only I know at least a couple of people who would love to go but can't prebook now because they work one weekend day (like many people I suspect)???

ANYWAY... BOOK NOW PEOPLE (& SM!) SO I CAN STALK, I MEAN "MEET" DAVID WENHAM!!!!!

Edited by GondorGirl

Well, the David Wenham blog groups are already going "eeeeeeee" at the prospect, so I suspect if you are able to say he's confirmed early enough you'll get a lot more general european members as well. I personally found out by someone advertising this on Livejournal and all but beating people over the head with kippers to go, so that's a good indication on the determination out there..!

Don't mean to put a damper on things and this is just my opinion - but David Wenham & JRD are incredible guests and if they came to something like london comic con or collectormania, no doubt I would meet them again, HOWEVER they would not be a big enough draw for me to pay out money to go to Ring Con. It would have to be a rare and different guest for me to consider going. JRD & David Wenham have both done other events.

Thats just my opinion and I am not being overally critical etc, I just wanted to put this opinion out there!

I have held off because of a lack of guest announcements, but JRD and Daisy Wenham will make me finally buy my ticket. I have met both prior but supporting Showmasters is important as Jason has really delivered for us Ringers over the years. However, I can't make all three days, so if Showmasters were planning day tickets then i'm going, but £70 for a day is too steep as an admission price for anyone planning part of the weekend.

It's a serious point, day tickets will really bring the peeps in thus ensuring Showmasters meet their overhead and make a profit and we have more great memories.

I would buy a ticket if David goes. Not bothered about JRD so much. Would rather have just about any other cast member in fact. You need some guests though because an awful lot of us in LotR land are holding off until we see more than one guest listed. It's discussed on the LotR forums I'm on reasonably often. No one's booking until we seem some more information, especially after what's happened with German Ring Con It seems weird you're asking this though because both of these are 'name' guests so surely quite a few people would be interested. Especially with David after '300'.

Good to see some movement at last though :lol:

Edited by Idrillia

Ok so i would like to meet David and JRD is amazing as always!

But if this is cancelled i would like to ask what will happen to those of us who have booked hotels we could get cheap that we cannot get a refund for!

I understand you want a good con but i have a few more questions.

1, Does this mean there will be only a small amount of guests including the big names and other cast/people who worked on it?

2, Will my Silver pass be justified, or am i paying for a convention with a very small amount of guests full stop?

3, Does this mean that if it goes ahead and there are a small amount of guests, partys and passes will no longer be exclusive despite the pay range?

I would appreciate a response on this if poss!

Veasse and partner who already have tickets!

xx

The Showmasters Team

IN SUMMARY: What we need to know - if we add David Wenham and John Rhys Davies, then will those of you out there who haven't yet booked do so?

If you were to get David Wenham I would definitely seriously consider attending this year. It would be hard to pass up that opportunity!

SM, it looks like you may have a winner with that suggestion. :YAHOO::WINCE:

Currently we only have about 70 tickets sold. We are well aware that may just simply be because of the lack of announcements.

To judge from other comments in this and other threads, I do think that this has been the problem in attracting attendees. There was a lot of excitement when another show was announced, so I think the interest is still there, but the problem may be if people have already made other arrangements. But certainly announcing the possibility of Daisy is going to be attractive. :dance:

Edited by yeltz-lass

Like many others I've held off from booking until I see what other guests you can get. Agreed John and David are good guests, but like others on this thread I've met them before and they're not quite enough to make me loosen the purse strings as yet. Now if you could get Howard Shore.....!!

Edited by Banished_From_Rohan