Patrick Stewart experience

lone gunman

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

i think patrick found a good balance between speed and politeness, can't really fault him.

the 3hrs thing should have been advertised. If had you read the advert in the papers on Friday you could have easily turned up on Saturday expecting to see him and the Heroes people. The charge for the VQs was ace fun, but totally unfair on people who had queued for hours and aren't physically able to keep up. hopefully showmasters will learn from the experience.

:D We were shocked to see he was only signing till 2. But lucky enough to get ticket number 211. I had been waiting to meet him for so long I would have been gutted if I did not get to see him. We arrived at 8:15 and was shocked at todays queue yesterday we were one of the first 20 in. today more like first 100.

I loved meeting him but it was all rushed he did not get to say much but I was happy. Would have been better if he was away from the Hero's people and if we could have taken a photo. :borg:

I can't see why they didn't limit the number of autogrphs people could get, with him, to say 1, 2, or 3. I saw someone in the que getting 5, and he was with another lady who got another 3 I think so that was 8 altogether. If people like them were limited then it might have sped things up a bit and meant that more people could see him.

It could have been though (and probably was) that these people were getting autographs for other people (maybe in the USA) who could not attend the convention. I know there are people who do that and I've done it myself occasionally....

or they could have been getting them...just to sell on!

It could have been though (and probably was) that these people were getting autographs for other people (maybe in the USA) who could not attend the convention. I know there are people who do that and I've done it myself occasionally....

I'm sorry, but I think priority should go to the people who took the effort and determination to get there over the people that didn't.

Myself and the wife got there at 9.45am and was intially shocked to hear that Patrick was only doing 4 hours.....we paid the £20 and joined the queue immediately and still only got ticket 680. I thought the in show information was a shambles as we did not even know what we were intially queuing for and when my wife popped to the front of the queue to find out, a member of staff was abusive to her and told her to join the queue. Also the staff (I know they had a hard job) but they were constantly shouting at people and I even heard the F word a few times even though most people were only trying to find out what number they were up to.........a large board or a message over the tannoy might have been nice as a guy shouting what number they are up to was just not good enough, when you did get close enough to actually hear him......he told us clear off! The lighting in most of the hall was terrible and the queuing space for the bigger signing stars (eg Patrick and the Heroes actors) was not enough..........why not move down some of the Star Wars signers next door and leave more space........utter shambles.......I'll continue to go to the Collectormania's in MK but doubt whether I'll ever do the LFACC again.

We did manage to get Patrick's autograph (on a RSC Tempest poster) but it was touch and go as they were going to close the line at any moment. Patrick was nice enough and when he saw the Tempest poster was genuinely interested and replied "ahhhhhh" when he saw the poster and asked us if we enjoyed the Tempest and if we had seen him in any others and we told him that we'd recently seen him in two shows in Citcester and he was genuinely interested which was nice. I think he did want to chat further but of course, with him needing to go at 2pm and other people in line, it did not seem right to hang about too long. He did look up and give us eye contact and gave us a little smile so all in all, happy with actually meeting Patrick.

Another gripe, as mentioned by someone else..........autographs should have been limited to maybe 2 per person so more people would have had a chance to at least get one autograph. I saw one guy go up with 5 posters and 3 books (which in my eyes, took maybe the chance of at least 3 to 5 more people who didn't get one that maybe could have)

basically....

- better inshow information regarding signing numbers (not just a guy shouting!)

- more space for the queuing

- lights anyone?

- less abusive staff (using the F word at customers is not nice especially in ear shot of kids!)

I do feel sorry for the people who did get tickets, queue and pay their money but did not even get close to getting his autograph.......a lady we chatted to had only gone to get Patrick's autograph and her ticket was over a thousand. How long have Showmasters known that PS was only doing a few hours?........I did not find out until after I had queued up for my ticket.

Sorry to moan in this post but compared to all the other Collectormania's I have been to (nearly all of them) this was a utter shambles.

Absolute bloody shambles. Having gotten in extremely early yesterday, and having had a wonderful day, seen everyone we wanted to see, today was Patrick-only day (with the exception of two very quick photo shoots), and as such we didn't get there til 12. Okay, stupid in retrospect, but we got tickets 1060-something, and he would have gotten to us by 5...but no, he cleared out at 2. Watched him go...didn't even see his face, actually. Saw a shiny head. From a distance. Moving at speed.

So, yeah, considering he was the only person we'd come to see it was a great disappointment, which I can summarise in three points:

1) If Patrick knew he couldn't commit to the whole day, he shouldn't have bothered coming unless he'd made that very clear before hand, and given Showmasters time to publicise that fact.

2) If Showmasters knew he wasn't going to commit to the whole day, some sort of warning would have been nice. Surely this was known before 8.am this morning, when I last checked the site?

3) Keeping his signs up all afternoon despite his having buggered off hours previously just made things worse.

3a) Why in God's name was he put next to the Heroes cast? That entire section was heaving.

Anyway, Nana Visitor got the money I'd put aside for Patrick, even though I'd seen her yesterday. She was absolutely wonderful and lovely and deserved every penny, so that made up for it, but...even so, the Patrick thing was a huge disappointment, and some sort of official explanation is needed...

Also I was one of the very, very lucky people who got Patricks auto JUST before he left. I literally got in the queue, got to the desk where the pictures were, then they said the queue was shutting down, and Patrick was leaving.

Firstly I got virtual ticket number 449 I think, and thinking about it I now consider myself lucky that i got that!

This was after taking part in what will probably be remembered as The Comic Con Stampede of 07! This in itself was a nightmare. Luckily I kinda guessed where both the Heroes and Patrick Stewart queues were, and got virtual tickets and autographs for all, but for a newbie, inexperienced, or physically impaired person it was probably a nightmare, and sometimes a little OVERLY crazy to be honest.

Anyway, back to Patrick. Luckily they said those of that made it to the desk could get autos, but anyone behind had no chance! I felt really sorry for all those hundreds of people (of which I'm pretty sure there was), who had got a virtual ticket, and were turned away mainly because Patrick had to leave early, rather them having a number that was too high.

Even when I finally got to Patrick, he was actually about to get up and leave, and I think one of the crew told him they had allowed a couple of more of us before he could go.

Not much to say about the actual experience really, all, I really got to say was "Thanks for staying a couple more minutes Patrick" as he signed, to which he said "You're Welcome", the I left. he was then sticking his baseball cap on as I left the area, where barriers had been formed. The about two minutes later he was rushed out of the building with his people.

I personally don't have a problem with guests leaving shows early, but if Showmasters did already know about this (which I have no idea whether they did or not), then I think it wasn't fair to keep quiet about it. It should have been put up as a notice from the start that he was leaving at 2 no matter what. That would have saved A LOT of those poor people behind me in the virtual queue ticket probably queuing up for a ticket that they effectively could never use anyway. If Showmasters didn't know about it, then I guess it's just bad luck.

I was one of the 700 lucky people.

I have to say that after the "Shatner Experience" nothing bothers me anymore. Said that, Patrick was ok, he looked up and acknowledged me and my wife, smiled and said "you're welcome" when we thanked him for coming. In fairness, considering the time available and the chaotic situation he could not do better than that.

May I thank the guy and the girl at the back of the queue (yes, those screaming "numbers" and giving directions for the whole day - well, until 2pm...); I don't know them personally but I want to say that they have done a great job under pressure, with authority and competence. I know it is impossible to make everyone happy but it is because of people like these that showmasters events are so good.

Ok, time to go and contemplate my signed photos before going to bed...

i think patrick found a good balance between speed and politeness, can't really fault him.

the 3hrs thing should have been advertised. If had you read the advert in the papers on Friday you could have easily turned up on Saturday expecting to see him and the Heroes people. The charge for the VQs was ace fun, but totally unfair on people who had queued for hours and aren't physically able to keep up. hopefully showmasters will learn from the experience.

Yep, I look like a healthy 20 year old, and I was about 20 in the pre paid queue, but I have had a broken foot recently, and I can't run... I had to do a pathetic quick walk, and I got between numbers 130-230 for heroes guests, and 380 for Patrick. That ws ok, but my legs are killing so much now.

Kinggodzillak, Nana is one of the Nicest Trek guests ever! (look at my sig for who i've met lol) she was sooo sweet- worth the wait.

Manc73- do you realise there were 2 lookalikes walking around? Fooled me for a sec, but the best one was about half a foot short, wearing trousers not jeans, and had thicker hair. Was v convincing though. Believe me- I was there outside Emily Dale. Neither was him. Can you really imagine him just walking around like that for no reason 2 hours later?

Heroes guest’s was nothing I’d experienced before, it was quite comical. I bet all the crew had to clench there cheeks a bit with all those people rushing towards them

Well as one of the crew in that area, I got trampled on, squashed, squished, shoved, had my feet trodden on and people shouting in my face!

But we battled through and got there in the end :P

Yep, I look like a healthy 20 year old, and I was about 20 in the pre paid queue, but I have had a broken foot recently, and I can't run... I had to do a pathetic quick walk, and I got between numbers 130-230 for heroes guests, and 380 for Patrick. That ws ok, but my legs are killing so much now.

Kinggodzillak, Nana is one of the Nicest Trek guests ever! (look at my sig for who i've met lol) she was sooo sweet- worth the wait.

Manc73- do you realise there were 2 lookalikes walking around? Fooled me for a sec, but the best one was about half a foot short, wearing trousers not jeans, and had thicker hair. Was v convincing though. Believe me- I was there outside Emily Dale. Neither was him. Can you really imagine him just walking around like that for no reason 2 hours later?

Lizzy - I accept you could be right. The lack of ighting didn't help.

no probs- you can guess my shock when my bf called me and said that he'd just walked in on patrick stewart in the loo cubicle at about 2.30 then walked out and did posed photos and free qutos and I was in the girls loos the other side! Then he pointed him out by emily dale, and me being a bit too obsessive lol I knew it wasn't him, but it was the best lookalike i've EVER seen, just as i said, a lil too short and wearing something a lil diff. I nearly asked for a photo!

I knew he was going to be very popular which was why I choose to book a hotel not 2 minutes walk from the event and make sure I was there early so at 7am I was outside, ran when the doors opened and got ticket 136.

Compared to the Shatner experience he was fantastic, he looked up at me so got some eye contact, signed my 8x10 then my black and white print, I said 'thank you for completing my print' and he replied 'you are very welcome'

Dont know what more I could have expected, great day :YAHOO:

Unfortunately I couldn't meet Patrick .... despite the fact I had VT #595 and they called up to number 600. Actually I arrived at 13:50 AM and so was happy to see he reached 600 .... until I got told I cannot enter the queue anymore because his agent said no more people could join the queue :blink:

Also, if I was a bit "late" (although actually I was not!), it was because Jack Coleman's photo shoot was delayed by nearly 30 minutes !! :D

This event was really hectic and madness, definitely my worst experience with a Showmasters event.

That said, from what I could see from the other rows, Patrick seemed to be nice enough and always looking at people and shaking hands. But 2 hours of signing was just simply not enough. One more hour and I'm pretty sure he would have pleased most of his fans.

Edited by lams9999

Did anyone manage to get pictures of the crowds?

Havnt checked my photos yet but dont think I got any of the Patrick/Heroes scrum, but I did get photos of the pre-paid que early in the morning vanishing into the distance, and the NIGHTMARE of Haydens photoshoot, trying to fit so many people, mostly newbies at that, into such a small area. For a while we had been divided up into 4 (possibly a 5th too) sections, and those of us experienced event attendee's were doing quite well helping the crew keeping the sections together briefly. As soon as things started moving though and the crew were needed elsewhere, it all went to pot and just became another mad free-for-all and all control was lost!

1) If Patrick knew he couldn't commit to the whole day, he shouldn't have bothered coming unless he'd made that very clear before hand, and given Showmasters time to publicise that fact.

500 or so happy fans and 1000+ unhappy fans, or EVERYONE unhappy period. He did his best to at least see some people and for that he cant be faulted. Yes he could just not have bothered going, but then that would have annoyed every single person and started off the conspiricy theorys with him. Thankfully I knew about the reduced signing as I heard some people talking on the saturday so was quing from 6:30 then actually RAN for his VT and up the escillator when we were let in, and ended up with 109.

Patrick could have been there till midnight, and would have still had people wanting things signed and more than likely been chocca even then, yet people would still not be happy if they hadnt seen him.

2) If Showmasters knew he wasn't going to commit to the whole day, some sort of warning would have been nice. Surely this was known before 8.am this morning, when I last checked the site?

Yes they could have, but then, I can see their point why..if they had and it was widespread knowledge, I honistly believe that there would have been riots and violence among the crowds as people pushed and punched their way inside, trampling people who couldnt keep up, then full on mugging/fighting people for low VT numbers..would have created mass hysteria. And you may think im joking, but I actually feared I was going to be hit by people or something in the que for Patrick and the heroes guests as it was just so bad anyway with people doing anything to grab a low number including forcefully pushing people back and to the sides, and believe me im not a small guy! Utter pandemonium.

As for when I met him myself. Im happy with what I got, when I met him in Jan I got far less. This time he looked at me, said hello, thanked me for coming, and, did a double take of my uniform (military, not trek) and gave what I am taking as a nod of approval from him liking it. I wanted the signature, got the signature, and a hello as a bonus.

Edited by crippsy_99

Wow, you've pretty much met them all now :)...but she was my first, so I've got a long way to go yet.

I saw her yesterday, and...I don't know, with most people I was rushing myself away from them. Got an autograph and legged it, all "Thank you, thank you, thank you." At least, that was how I felt. I wasn't nervous around them as such...just had nothing to say. No real words would come. At least, not in an order that made any sort of sense.

I was also seeing a lot of people bringing up posters and photos that had hundreds of signatures on, and wanted to start one for meself. That was the plan today with Patrick, which for whatever reason never happened. :chair: I'd bought a TNG cast print, and DS9 one, and Nana was such an easy queue to get into...so I went back to her today, and I really made the effort to talk to her properly. Once I did, it all came easily. She was so so friendly. I explained that it was the first convention I'd been to, that she was the first Trek guest I'd seen...she took my hand, and said that that was an honour. Had my photo taken with her again, and told her that I was going to the photosession in the afternoon, and she said "I look forward to seeing you there." And she did remember me when I turned up for that.

Something like that is so much more precious than a quick scribble that I might have had from Patrick Stewart. :YAHOO:

Edited by Kinggodzillak

As Crippsy_99 mentions people were queuing from 6.30 am onwards on Sunday.

This was the Q for people who had not bought tickets in advance

DSC00573.jpg

This is the Q as taken if you were walking from Earls court 2 round to Earls court 1

DSC00569.jpg

DSC00570.jpg

and then as you look down towards EC 2

DSC00571.jpg

All these pictures were taken before 8am on Sunday morning! So hopefully this gives people an idea of just how busy it was today